This has been a dream getaway. My cousin and I are traveling throughout Ireland and decided to hop over to Scotland and stay at Dalhousie Castle. The staff have been friendly and extremely helpful. Ask for a tour of the castle with Peter. We were able to see the real dungeon and learn about the ghostly encounters! This tour made the castle come to life and added such a great perspective to its history and the people who once called it home.
We also did the 2 1/2 falconry experience. It was well worth the money. We flew a wide range of birds (hawks, eagles and owls). It has been a highlight of my life to look into an owls eye who is on my arm and only inches away and see my reflection. Truly amazing experience that won't been soon forgotten. I would suggest people who are in the area take a trip to the castle just for this experience itself! I would also suggest to do a walk around the grounds, there is a beautiful stream and a great ruin on the property.
The food was out of this world. We ate in both the dungeon and the orangery. I highly recommend the risotto, penne pasta and any of the dungeons desserts! I will say the the service was a bit slow, but as a US American this could also be because I am used to meals being rushed as restaurants.
I can understand where people would feel like the castle and its rooms need to be updated a bit. I would have to agree with that, however those little issues are not enough for me to lesson my suggestion to stay here. I left thinking nothing but great thoughts about my stay and wishing I could stay longer!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel Bonnyrigg
- Castle Dalhousie
- Dalhousie Castle Scotland/Bonnyrigg