“Felt Spoiled...”
Review of Dalhousie Castle

Dalhousie Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bonnyrigg
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This has been a dream getaway. My cousin and I are traveling throughout Ireland and decided to hop over to Scotland and stay at Dalhousie Castle. The staff have been friendly and extremely helpful. Ask for a tour of the castle with Peter. We were able to see the real dungeon and learn about the ghostly encounters! This tour made the castle come to life and added such a great perspective to its history and the people who once called it home.

We also did the 2 1/2 falconry experience. It was well worth the money. We flew a wide range of birds (hawks, eagles and owls). It has been a highlight of my life to look into an owls eye who is on my arm and only inches away and see my reflection. Truly amazing experience that won't been soon forgotten. I would suggest people who are in the area take a trip to the castle just for this experience itself! I would also suggest to do a walk around the grounds, there is a beautiful stream and a great ruin on the property.

The food was out of this world. We ate in both the dungeon and the orangery. I highly recommend the risotto, penne pasta and any of the dungeons desserts! I will say the the service was a bit slow, but as a US American this could also be because I am used to meals being rushed as restaurants.

I can understand where people would feel like the castle and its rooms need to be updated a bit. I would have to agree with that, however those little issues are not enough for me to lesson my suggestion to stay here. I left thinking nothing but great thoughts about my stay and wishing I could stay longer!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 27, which was a basic room. It was a great room for the price! If you are lookin...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Dalhousie Castle

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We visited and stayed at Dalhousie Castle for a wedding. Overall, we were very disappointed with our experience. On arrival, we were advised that our room was not ready - this was 1pm and our wedding was at 2.30pm. We were asked to wait in the Library - no directions were offered as to where the Library was. Eventually we got into our room using the master key as the staff could not locate our actual room key - the key did eventually turn up! The room was of a good standard but tea/coffee making supplies were minimal. We found that staff were not forthcoming with information and had constantly to be asked, for example, where the wedding venue was. The wedding breakfast could be best described as average. Perhaps the most enjoyable part of our stay was ordering the taxi to leave.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 592Bernie
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed a two night stay through secret escapes and shared the experience of other reviewers.Attention to detail by staff was excellent. Kitchen deserves top marks as food was of surprising quality & presentation. My wife is coeliac and not only did the hotel cater for this but there was none of the fuss that sometimes accompanies this request, ensuring that my wife had relaxed mealtimes and the provision of tasty gluten free toasted bread at breakfast was the icing on the cake for her. Within the room he bathrobe and slippers was a nice touch. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: All the rooms are themed and the whole hotel is very quiet. Since there is no lift asking for rooms...
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I flew into Edinburgh from Atlanta, picked up a rental car and drove directly to Dalhousie. I had booked this based on reviews on TA and we were not disappointed. It is a beautifully preserved/renovated structure. Parts of the castle are 800 to 500 years old. We toured the grounds using a map provided by the reception desk. One of the trails took us along the nearby stream and we explored a old ice house made of stone. They also have birds of prey, specifically trained falcons, and we enjoyed watching them. Being a bit jet-lagged, we opted to dine in the Orangery for a light dinner. The Orangery is a fairly recent addition and has a great view of the grounds. The pasta dishes were excellent. We stayed in the Knights of the Order room and likewise it had a nice view. The next day we drove over to the coast and toured ruins and then headed to Abbottsford. Upon returning to Dalhousie, we cleaned up and headed to the Library for drinks before dinner at the Dungeon. The Dungeon is fine dining and has a well-earned reputation for high quality and innovative food. They ask that you go to the Library 30 minutes prior to your dinner reservation. You can relax, have a drink and peruse the menu. They take your dinner order in the Library. When it is time you are escorted to the Dungeon for your dinner. It was an awesome meal.
Our room was very comfortable, quiet and we had a great night's sleep both nights. It is important to understand that Dalhousie is a castle in the country. There is nothing nearby. You can't walk to a pub or stores for shopping. I view this as a positive feature.
The staff was incredible and the food was superlative. I would highly recommend Dalhousie.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed ere recently as part of my birthday treat. On arrival when the castle comes into view its just so beautiful it does take your breath away. We stayed in the Dalwolsey room which was so beautiful and cosy, the bed was really comfortable and the views from the castle were lovely. We had breakfast in our room both mornings and we dined in the dungeon restaurant one night. The food was well cooked and excellently presented. We also had drinks in the library bar...with a roaring fire it was just perfect. After our first night mu husband complained about the bathroom fan not going off properly and the noise kept him awake, there was no quibble at all we were offered another room which was a beautiful four poster room which was in the only round room in the castle. Also want to say a thank you to Peter who was very attentive and gave an insight into some of the history of the castle. I would definitely recommend to friends and familyand would love to come back myself. Thanks again

Reviewed March 18, 2013

if you want luxury you need to stay here, the room was amazing, the food was amazing the staff were very professional and helpful. the surrounding views were lovely and i will definately be staying again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blackdaisy
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Just back today after a 2 night stay with Secret Escapes. Fabulous 5 course dinner on first night in the Dungeon Restaurant. Breakfast each morning in Orangery lovely views, good breakfast selection. Room 2 a four poster was really nice with an exposed brick wall, a extra large bed and lovely views to the garden. All of the staff were very nice, friendly and professional. Would definitely recommend and would rebook if the same offer comes up. Authentic castle experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonnyrigg
Melville Castle
#2 of 3 in Dalkeith
Princes Street and Gardens
The Balmoral Hotel
The Balmoral Hotel
#13 of 150 in Edinburgh
Prestonfield
#4 of 150 in Edinburgh

Been to Dalhousie Castle? Share your experiences!