Dalhousie Castle offers the opportunity to stay in a real castle. From its long drive, the exterior of the castle is imposing, standing in extensive grounds with lovely views over the surrounding area. The welcome at reception is warm and efficient and Alastair, the concierge, professeional and experienced. He carried our cases to our rooms and stayed to chat about our stay. Remember this is a very old building and there are several floors without lifts, wandering corridors, and the bar is called the Library, so you may get lost. The food at breakfast is varied and ample, with kipper and porridge for those who would like a real Scottish flavour. The evening meal in the Dungeon restaurant is excellent. This is fine dining and the cost reflects this. Relax in the Library after dinner with a malt whisky, and you will have had a very good evening. Just one word of caution, should you book with an agency offering a considerable discount (we booked with Secret Escapes) then you may be accommodated in a room on the top floor requiring refurbishment. Although this is ongoing currently, our room was badly needing it with threadbare carpets and a dismal decoration, but with excellent views. The location is very good for visits to Edinburgh, and the staff are happy to help with suggestions of where else to visit in the area. If driving to Edinburgh then you may want to make use of the Park and Ride facilities as driving in the Scottish Capital is problematic.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo, Travelocity and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel Bonnyrigg
- Castle Dalhousie
- Dalhousie Castle Scotland/Bonnyrigg