After much deliberation (mixed reviews from previous guests), we finally bit the bullet and booked Dalhousie Castle for my husbands 60th birthday. I am glad to report that we weren't disappointed and had a wonderful, romantic stay.
We chose the Cockpen themed 4 poster room so that we could enjoy our own private battlement balcony, overlooking beautiful countryside. The room, though not huge, was reasonably spacious, but the bed was larger than a King size and very comfortable (if you like a fairly firm bed).
We took pre-dinner drinks in the library - a lovely room with an open fire and plenty of character. Dinner was in the Dungeon. We eat out a lot, but can honestly say that this was one of the most outstanding meals we have ever experienced. The Aberdeen Angus fillet was to die for! The Dungeon itself is fascinating and although in the basement, was warm and pleasant.
Breakfast was in the Orangery - a bright airy conservatory overlooking the river and countryside beyond. After eating this substantial meal, we didn't need to eat again until tea time!
All in all, a fantastic experience (albeit expensive) and I would thoroughly recommend a visit to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel and Aqueous Spa is a magnificent 13th century fortress set within acres of wooded parkland on the picturesque banks of the River Esk. From the moment you arrive at Dalhousie Castle a warm Scottish welcome awaits. Whether relaxing in the the Spa, gathering in the library next to the open fire, dining in the vaulted 2 Rosette winning dungeon restaurant, or retiring to your chambers, you will always feel as welcome as the 'Laird'. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dalhousie Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dalhousie Castle Bonnyrigg
- Dalhousie Castle Hotel Bonnyrigg
- Castle Dalhousie
- Dalhousie Castle Scotland/Bonnyrigg