“Great Village Local”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Longstanton Cambridge
“Great Village Local”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

This is the local pub for my wife any family ,I drink in the " Duke" 3-4 times every week ,the description of "sour faced scowling staff" could not be further from the truth. The hosts Barry and Fran are friendly helpful and with the attentive staff good food and beers have created a livley warm atmosphere rarely found in todays locals.There are more than "Just Pies" on the menu ,my family and I had Sunday Lunch last week (Roast Beef0 and it was delicious The comments about being a couple "warned off" by locals are nonesense , were they doing a survey in the village streets before trying it? The pub is full of locals every night (enjoying themselves !)

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Tony D

Cambridge
“Great food, friendly staff”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

My partner and I booked a table at the Duke of Wellington for Easter lunch after recently moving to the local area. We were greeted with a friendly smile and a nice table near the fireplace. Despite being busy, the service was quick and the lady who served us was very friendly.

There was a warm, vibrant atmosphere, with the impressive decor being typical of a vintage local pub.

I had the Game pie with mustard mash and my partner had a salad. Both were substantial and very tasty - I wouldn't usually have a salad instead of a pie, but I will definitely try one of the salads when we go back! It was great to see a good selection of real ales to go with the pies.

Will definitely be going back!

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Tim T
Matlock
“Rude staff, limited menu, poor value”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Stopped in for lunch and were greeted by a scowl. The service overall was poor and the pies (generally its pie with everything) were average. Poor value overall and school dinner grub. Woud not return.

• Visited February 2012
3 Thank David M
cambridge
“Turning Away Families Is Nuts Being A Village Pub”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Would of liked the opportunity to eat here but was refused, I called today 7th of April to book a table for me,my parents (in their 60's) and my 4yr old for Sunday lunch (Easter Sunday)
but was told "Er, No, sorry we don't allow children under 5 yrs old" when I asked why is this, she replied with "We have had a couple of bad experiences with small children, but you may be able to sit in the garden If the manager relaxe's the rules"!!!!! I declined obviously!!!
I find this blanket approach to children 'behaving badly' shocking, The mad thing is I've managed and run public houses and we are currently moving into our next project and our 4yr old is used to being in an adult enviroment and is well behaved in these situations, I understand that sometimes children are allowed to run riot but that's down to good management of the business and speaking with the parents should the situation come about. I wonder how they deal with drunk individuals and in my experience the 'badly behaved adults' far out weighs the 'badly behaved children' . So If your thinking about going here but have small children don't bother even calling them!!!

Visited April 2012
3 Thank katherine2408
DOWW_10, Owner at Duke of Wellington, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
We’re sorry to hear you don’t agree with our policy of “No under 5 year olds” on a Sunday. We introduced the policy after an increase in disruptive behaviour from the presence of small children & babies in the pub- especially at Sunday Lunch. Whilst we understand that Sunday is a family day, we do also maintain the belief that the pub is an adult place and should remain that way. We don’t have a children’s menu & don’t offer crayons, colouring in pads or ball pits because we are a village pub. As the pub is so small, the increase in noise & disruption was affecting our other diners & drinkers’ enjoyment & introducing the policy was a last resort as we had tried to manage disruptive children & families on an individual basis but to no avail. Further to your comment about “badly behaved adults”; we have worked extremely hard over the past 6 years turning the Duke from a rough, tired, run of the mill pub into a warm friendly place that does straight forward food. We took a hard line with disruptive & badly behaved adults when we first took the business over & as a result unruly or disruptive customers are thankfully few & far between.
Having said all of this, we have started to relax the rule somewhat after having a chat with several of our customers who do have small children & babies & they’re happy to take the child outside if they become upset. So far this is working well. I’m sure people will appreciate that it can be difficult to get the balance right, but in our opinion a public house is an adult place for those over 18 years old and allowing children into pubs shouldn’t automatically be expected.
United Kingdom
“One of my locals”
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Barry and Fran have made the pub very welcoming, and the food and beer are 1st class

1 Thank Peter H