“IF MY GRAN HAD SERVED UP A SUNDAY LUNCH LIKE THIS WE WOULD HAVE STARVED!!!!!”
Review of The Red Lion - CLOSED

The Red Lion
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Visited Sunday 21st April 2013 - absolutely appalled at the level of what they describe as a carvery. From the minute we were seated, an overbearing member of staff with her nose in the air approached us and asked in a rather haughty tone if anyone had 'explained' to us how the carvery worked. Well, it's not exactly rocket science now is it? If she had asked whether we knew how to stand in line (don't mind this bit at all....) to be asked if we would like a cannonball (presumably this used to be known as a stuffing ball but bore absolutely no resemblance), a soggy, not quite cooked yorkshire pudding and what meat we wanted, without any eye contact with the boy serving the meat at all, then we would have course have taken her advice! I can understand that if you choose to have a selection of the meats on offer rather than just one, the stingy portion of overcooked, tastless, dry meat would be fine, but this I'm afraid was not the case. Even the way the meat was carved was like the young lad had been given two planks to cut with, definitely not up on his knife skills! As for the vegetables, roast (? Ha!) potatoes like bullets, so overcooked they actually had no middle, overcooked and tasteless broccoli that descenced into mush, carrots that hadn't really been introduced to boiling water and frozen parsnips of possibly the lowest quality they could find!. Never mind I thought, I can always disguise some of this 'traditional pub fayre' with a bit of good strong horseradish - and there we have the next disappointment - why water it down so that is runs around the plate like it's training for a marathon? Overall, the most disappointing meal I've had anywhere; I find it hard to believe that they can charge the price they do for this dreadful food, but maybe you're supposed to go when it's cheaper (£4.95?) and the fact that you are not being robbed of hard earned cash makes it taste better - but I doubt it. The only saving grace was the short walk to the car to get out of there, thank goodness we parked close to the door - I may have lost the will to live if I'd had to walk to the other end of the car park. Needless to say, we shall not be returning as a family EVER to eat in this establishment though, if this is the strength of what they can do to food, I'm not so sure it will last very long as a place to go for eating. The place and it's staff need a complete overhaul and not be discussing other diners when they think they cannot be heard. Don't waste your time or money going here for a meal - it's shockingly bad!

1  Thank Sue E

Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Visited today for a lunchtime carvery. Greeted at the door, shown to seats and everything explained as it was a first time visit to eat. Been many times before so this was a food try out.

Now, despite other reviews i must say that i was impressed. Cheery staff. Very professional.

Food service and quality were also very very good. Opted for the carvery although there is a standard menu. Choice of roasts, beef turkey gammon with all the trimmings. Opted for beef and turkey. Served on a hot plate, chef warned me. Then help yourself veggies gravy and sauces. All the vegetables were fresh and the gravy thick enough. Fresh carrots cabbage swede roasts.

Absolutely nothing to grumble about! Amazing value £4.95. You can 'go large' for an extra £1.50, extra yorkshire, sausage and more meat.

Go mid week or in the day time. I suspect the place is rammed on a sunday!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Easter Sunday...The carvery meat was fresh even though we visited at 7pm, the mash was lovely and creamy, as too was the brocoli. The stuffing and carrots were a bit crisp and the potato's over done. But the carvey overall was much tastier than Toby Carvery which always tastes to bland and over boiled veg.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I consider the carvery meal overprices at £8.95 on a Sunday. The staff were really pleasant and the food was ok but I dont think it offered good value for money. There were 4 of us and we sent over £70.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

i have been using the red lion regularly for a number of years now for meals
but over the last 12 months it has gone down hill very quickly.(food quality. service. etc) the last straw came today i called in at 3.50pm for a carvery,after waiting for 5mins while staff chatted to each other i ordered 2 meals and 2 drinks and we went to collect or food only to find out they have stopped serving between 3-5pm i wasent told this when i ordered and i think they expected us to wait around for over an hour !!
i complained and was refunded for the meals only! by a rather rude staff member.
my average spending in there is around £50 per month