All reviews main building wedding venue steeped in history old english inns bridal suite wedding breakfast manor house original features wedding reception listed building lovely old building lovely meal wedding guests duty manager function room superior room full english
Reviewed August 28, 2018

We have been to the Rothley Court Restaurant numerous times over the years as we are very local. While it remains an impressive place to look at on arrival it has recently been on a steady decline for a few reasons.

The food is frequently average and recently the quality has been poor (green jacket potatoes, stale coleslaw and lukewarm coffee). It has definitely shifted to a cheap and cheerful pub menu and whilst this is fine, even this is not delivered well.

The service is generally poor. This seems to be due to inadequate staffing during busy lunchtime periods (one poor bloke doing everything on a recent lunchtime visit). Staff seem quite distant and like they'd rather be elsewhere. Also staff getting orders wrong on too many occasions although this may be due to being overworked.

The general cleanliness of the tables, cutlery and facilities is rather disappointing. The location of the establishment is smack bang in the middle of a very wealthy area and yet it is quite sticky, grubby and could generally do with having someone focusing on the cleanliness as a matter of urgency. A redecoration and new furniture inside would also do wonders.

I feel that, maybe, the management are concentrating far too much on the wedding side of the business and are letting the basics down with the restaurant which is a shame as it used to be a treat to eat here, but no longer unfortunately.

Should things improve we would most certainly love to come back but we will give this place a miss in future and go elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Mathew V
stephen l, General Manager at Rothley Court, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2018

I am sorry that you have not enjoyed your recent visits to Rothley court.
We have not changed the style of our menus for many years now so this should not have changed.
We do do a lot of weddings dur to the nature of the building but we do a lot less than we used to so that we can have a normal day to day business as well, and we try very hard to accommodate all our guests.
I do hope that you will try us again in the future

Reviewed August 19, 2018

Stayed two nights. The room was large and spacious. Bed very comfortable. The whole hotel is very old and probably a listed building. It was in need of TLC and lots of minor repairs. Nice grounds for a stroll but no swimming pool, no gym etc etc. There was what could be described as a "walled garden" with a greenhouse - all totally let go and virtually derelict, all so sad.

The family event was exceedingly well organised and the food served both at the event and in the restaurant was top class. Restaurant service not so good. The white wine with the evening meal was poor and not chilled at all. I sent it back. Also breakfast took over 35 minutes to be served after ordering !!

Bar service was bad - Barman basically incompetent and needs training.

Checkout was interesting in that I was charged a different room rate for each night of the two night stay. I queried this as it seemed illogical, only to be told "It is the computer and I can't change it". I think I was overcharged by about £12 but really could not be bothered to argue further.

The place has wonderful potential and an interesting history going back 200+ years. I don't think I would undertake a return visit

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alex S
stephen l, General Manager at Rothley Court, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
The room rates do change from day to day due to how busy we are and it is quite normal from one day to differ to another.
I am glad that you thought that your event was well organised, and you enjoyed the food.
I am not sure what happened with your white wine though as it is all in a fridge.
I do hope that you would consider another visit in the future.

Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

We booked in for two nights for a family wedding . Wonderful venue the staff are most hardworking staff I have ever seen they were so busy yet totally professional , friendly, they ensured that our stay was perfect. The rooms were lovely and clean and comfortable . The food was fantastic . A totally perfect venue for a wedding or just for a stay over would certainly recommend and once again Thankyou to the amazing staff you were totally awesome x

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your fantastic review, and I will pass on your comments to the team.
I do hope that you will visit us again soon

Reviewed August 13, 2018

This is an ideal place to stay if you like hotels with character. It's very reminiscent of a old country house with rooms to match albeit with modern facilities. It's set in its own park and is an idyllic relaxing place to stay. The staff are incredibly helpful and very friendly always willing to help if they can. Would thoroughly recommend this hotel if you are looking for something with a bit more character than the modern concrete square hotel in which all rooms are identical. Here every room is different. It also has a delightful garden in which to enjoy a summer drink or snack. An ideal place to get away from the pressures of the modern world

Stayed: July 2018
stephen l, General Manager at Rothley Court, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and I am so glad that you found the staff so helpful
I do hope you will return soon

Reviewed August 12, 2018 via mobile

My daughter had her Wedding reception and party here. Lovely setting and superb Chapel for the actual reception. Stayed over in the annexe and family room was great. Good food and staff were very helpful and friendly. Nice old style hotel and an absolutely beautiful setting for a Wedding with its history and grounds. Thank you

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family

I am so glad that your daughters wedding sent so well and I do hope that you will all visit again in the future