“Great Food and Staff but accommodation very dated and disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Rothley Court

Rothley Court
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rothley
Scotland
“Great Food and Staff but accommodation very dated and disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2009

Food excellent and staff extremely helpful and polite - the downside was the room - very dated and in need of an upgrade. Our room did not look like the photos on their website - it was in an 1980's time warp. Bathroom had urine smell but looked clean enough. Bedding had a rip in the sheet - again looked clean enough but very disappointing. Would only recommend this hotel if it was refurbished.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Harrogate
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2009

Do not accept a room on the top floor numbers 10-19. these are attic rooms in the roof and have a difficult narrow and very steep staircase to negotiate so you need to be fit and active to make it to the top landing. I stayed in room 10 which has been mentioned on these pages before, in 2008. The decor is still the same ,so no changes have been made. When I had recovered my breath from the climb up to my room, I was dismayed at the condition of room 10. The carpet is stained with what looked like cigarette burns and in need of a good shampoo. The walls,painted a dirty orange, also splattered and scuffed. Water has entered from the roof and left damp/mold near the bed head and in the opposite corner the paper was peeling from the wall. The double window had a super view over lawns at the rear of the house but this was spoilt by the site of the rotting window frame and the flies caught in a web. There are adequate items of functional furniture and an old tv on which I later found 3 channels working. I spoke to reception and asked for another room but was told all the rooms were taken but that my luggage would be taken up the stairs for me. I returned to the wedding at this point as the photos were being taken. I stayed in that room through no choice and was charged £95 for my discomfort. Again complaining was not possible due to the Grooms parents being nearby when I checked out and I was helping Mother of the Bride to pack up.

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank Bettyboo62
Sark, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2009

I have stayed here on a number of occasions and eat in the restaurant regularly. We had returned from holiday early as a relative was ill, and we wanted to be thoroughly spoiled! This stay was perfect. Despite telephoning the same morning, we were allocated a superb room in the main house overlooking the gardens. The room was as near perfect as it could be, and the staff were attentive and friendly. It was difficult to fault this stay. Well done to all concerned.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2009

Loverly setting and hotel full of character.Nice setting for wedding but then was served cold veg and meat (pork )was tough and not nice in fact if i was paying for the dinner would have sent it back and everyone on table thought the same. Then the buffet was uneatable { cold pizza and sandwiches } and wasnt enough to go around very dissapointing and left starving so ordered a indian when got home. Drinks exspensive was driving so had none alco lager a small bottle of becks £3.05. Soon left pay for the name !!!

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank smurfs61
belltewk, Manager at Rothley Court, responded to this review, September 15, 2009
Thank you for drawing my attention to your recent experience. I would like to convey our sincere apologies for the disappointment in aspects of your visit. I can assure you that your experience does not reflect the normal high standards of quality and hospitality that we set ourselves & if we had been made aware of any issues we would of gladly rectified these whilst you were still with us. Please be assured that I take this very seriously and have therefore taken relevant action to assure that neither you nor any other future guest experiences the same short comings at the Rothley Court Hotel.

We are, unfortunately too late to effect your stay positively, but have taken on board your comments to ensure that this situation does not occur again. Once again our sincere apologies, and may I thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your comments on Trip Advisor, as receipt of such constructive comments we are able to improve our services.

Kind Regards

Dan Pricop
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

Having booked this through Country Inns as a last minute weekend get away. I immediately checked the trip advisor to read the reviews. As all reviews it's the persons perception, although I did wonder whether I would be disappointed as it looked so beautiful. This was a birthday present for my Husband so I wanted it to be perfect.

From the moment we pulled into the drive the history was all around us. The hotel and temple greeted you and made you want to investigate further we really felt welcome. Booking in was smooth and we received a friendly welcome. The staff are all exceptionally friendly and look after your needs and will share with you their knowledge of the hotel. We stayed in the Mews Room No. 36. Thankfully we were in the mews as there was a very large wedding on the Saturday so we were had a quiet area to go to. On arrival to our room a chilled bottle of champagne was there to greet us as requested. The room was large and we had a sofa and two arm chairs, plus the TV. Lots of lights and not only a mirror above the desk but a full length behind the door and one in the wardrobe. At last someone has had the sense to realise that guests might like this offered. The bed was excellent and plenty of pillows. Sue our chambermaid had left a card for us to comments. Everything was spotlessly clean and had an an old world charm. We had our evening meals on both nights at the hotel. The food was sourced locally and we were not disappointed on both evenings.

We ventured out to Foxton Locks on the Saturday about 20 miles away. Well worth the visit from there we headed to Loughborough to look around the large Market. Feeling a little hungry we found a little pub called the 3 Nuns very cosy good choice of pub food. Service was very quick and with a smile. We met a lady there who lives in Leicester and she said she travels 14 mile every week just to have her lunch. If you fancy trying some other pubs try Quorn very pleasant area.

On our last night whilst dining at the hotel, a mature man and two of his family were seated near us and he informed us that it was his local some 30years before. He told us quite a bit of history about the days when the Rolling Stones arrived by Helicopter and stayed and the hotel and many others. The other thing he told was that the hotel itself was haunted. Well if it was it didn't bother us, on the contrary we felt at home and didn't want to leave the place so will be going back soon.

In the current climate guests would probably want a Holiday Inn style bedrooms, but then Holiday Inn cannot offer the history or beauty that this gem has. We heard that the Hotel may be changing hands if so I hope it doesn't spoil what this treasure has to offer but enrich it further.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2009

My partner and I really enjoyed our 2 day stay, the hotel looks beautiful from the outside and the walk down to the river is really nice. The rooms are fairly basic but a decent size. The breakfasts were lovely and the price is great if you can pick up a Sunday deal.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
stoke on trent
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2009

I stayed here for a friend's wedding, and this was the only reason I didn't complain at the time.
My room was number 19, which was poky, had a fold up bed in the way of the main bed (I was a lone traveller - so not sure what the need for the extra bed was!!). The room smelt a bit musty, and the bathroom was absolutely tiny - I couldn't even stand up in the shower!!! There was peeling paint on the ceilings, along with cobwebs, and the carpet in the bedroom was very stained. Very disappointed, considering the "special wedding rate" of £120 for the night. Drinks were very expensive (particularly soft drinks). I didn't have the breakfast so not sure if this was worth it or not.
On the plus side, the wedding itself was lovely, and there's no doubt the location is lovely - the grounds are picturesque.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothley
Quorn Grange Hotel
#19 of 41 in Leicester
The Link Hotel
The Link Hotel
#2 of 12 in Loughborough

Been to Rothley Court? Share your experiences!