“Beautiful Hotel, Friendly Staff, Perfect Wedding!!!”

Best Western Plus Lancashire Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skelmersdale
Reviewed March 29, 2012

What can I say? Just been reading some of the reviews on this hotel and I couldn't believe what I was reading. My husband and I had our wedding here on Saturday (24th March 2012). We arrived there a little earlier than expected which the hotel was absolutely fine with. The guests enjoyed sitting around having a drink whilst we had some photos taken, waiting for the great hall to be prepared.
I can't really comment on the food personally because as the bride I was too excited to eat, but we had lots of positive comments about the food from the guests, especially about the quality of the meats (turkey and beef).
The staff were great, really helpful and friendly and were even dancing to the music behind the bar.
The bridal suite was perfect, clean, tidy and relaxing, we enjoyed a good nights sleep in a very comfy bed.
The breakfast the next morning was freshly cooked and very tasty.
As we left on the Sunday the hotel made sure we had all our gifts from the guests and the leftover wedding cake and wished us all the best.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael H, Manager at Best Western Plus Lancashire Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience at Lancashire Manor Hotel. I am so glad you had a good wedding day, we pride ourselves on our excellent wedding service and truely enjoy giving bride and grooms a day to remember.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

I have just been reading a review for the same hotel on the same day and i feel that I must have visited a different hotel!!! We were married in this hotel 9 years ago and fell in love with the Great Hall. After a massive refurbishment we decided to take our whole family there this week for a mothers day carvery - we thought £12.95 per head was very reasonable for a 3 course meal. We were delighted to find on the day that the meal was to be in the Great Hall as was not sure this would be used. We were taken straight to our seats brought drinks immediately and this excellent service continued. There were 5 'mothers' in our party and each one had a fabulous day out. The food was beautiful noting particularly how the meat melted in our mouths. After the meal we spent some time in the bar area watching the football and having a relaxing drink. We can not say a single bad thing about our visit, had a lovely day and all said that we would definitely be visiting again soon. Our school is even holding a Summer Ball there this May which we are really looking forward to. I would certainly not listen to some of the bad reviews below!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Lancashire Manor hotel, I am glad you enjoyed your visit and look forward to welcoming you back next visit.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Went here for Mothers day . Arrived and were asked to wait in the seating area, a Gentleman took a drinks order of which we waited for about 10-15 minutes to be served to us although we could see them poured waiting on the bar.Finally a waitress came with our drinks and asked us to come through to the dinning room.(thought we were in the waiting area cos the dining room was packed....It was empty!).
My son and I ordered the Prawn cocktail...This looked like it has been prepared the day before.The lettuce was awful, Asda 'smart price' prawns would have been better quality than those served to us. There was also a token slither of lemon on the side of the plate.Not fresh either.
The carvery was awful. I cant say anything else...poor selection of dried out meats and poor selection of mixed veg.
The desert was the only nice thing and that is because they were the standard 'bought in' catering Sara Lee desserts.

The staff were appalling;waitresses totally disinterested.Never asked did we want any further drinks.Had to ask for the table to be cleared from the starter.Never asked us whether we were enjoying our meal or was everything okay!There seemed to be a manager there (well someone in a dark suit). never approached us or acknowledged us throughout the meal.We were the only dinners..

Would not come here again nor would i recommend it to anyone. Sorry ...Really bad meal and service.Shame.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank tommytyger

Thank you for taking the time to give us your views on your experience here at the Lancashire Manor Hotel, I am very sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations, we have had such good feedback about our Mothers day offering, so am I sorry that you were disappointed.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

First impressions count. Went into my room and got a terrible smell of damp. The light switch cover was not fixed and fell off when touched. One of the cups was dirty so I used the other after washing it out. When returning to my room the next night the cup I used had been washed but the other was still dirty. I had a mel in the bar, not much choice, the baked potatoe was a ding( microwaved) bought in coleslaw was awfully and the ham was no very nice. Went to Frankie and Bennys the next night. Next time I return I will stay some wher else.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Offshore12
Michael H, Manager at Best Western Plus Lancashire Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Lancashire Manor Hotel. All of our bedrooms have been recently upgraded to a very high standard so on this occasion I am very sorry to hear that the bedroom did not meet are normal high standards. We are currently working with our new head chef to start a brand new lounge menu to increase our offering, so if you are in the area it would be great if you could give us one more try, please ask for myself when booking so I can ensure you are well looked after.

Reviewed February 13, 2012

I spent a night there recently when on business in the area. I booked dinner bed and breakfast, but need not have bothered. I booked a table for dinner as requested, and when I got to the restaurant, there was nobody to be seen. I waited for several minutes until a young lady showed me to a table. I remembered from my last stay that service was not good, so I ordered a drink and immediately ordered the steak (big mistake!).

Whilst waiting, I noticed a table of 5 people adjacent to me were being served with their main course. One guy sent his back, saying that it was not correct. By the time he received his correct order, the others were well into their meal, and one was finshed - not very good! The waitress offered me salmon, and when I told her what I had ordered, she quickly moved on.

My steak eventually turned up, 40 mintues later, and quite honestly it was disgusting. It looked more like a piece of frying steak you get from Asda - in fact that would have been nicer! The plate was swamped with chips, due to the miserably small portion of meat, which incidentally contained gristle. The menu title stated "local sourced steak" - not sure what the 'local' referred to!

Anyway, I put that behind me and looked forward to breakfast - I need not have bothered! For breakfast the next morning, I ordered poached egg, sausage, bacon, mushrooms and beans. The poached egg was half cooked, being runny and watery. The sausage was so salty I couldn't tell if it was pork or steak. The bacon contained more fat than meat, the beans were from a catering tin - dry and tasteless, and the mushrooms were so small, I could not get them on my fork. Incidentally, the 'fresh' orange juice was made from concentrate - what a rip off!

I did complain to Best Western, as the hotel are part of the group, but they passed the buck to the Lancashire Manor, and I haven't heard a thing since. Suffice to say, I won't be going there again!!!!!

Room Tip: No comment
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Alexander K
Michael H, Manager at Best Western Plus Lancashire Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, I am sorry that on this occasion we did not live up to your (and even my own) expectations. I can assure you that we are working hard with all members of staff to ensure that the service we give is the best. We have also just appointed a new head chef who is working hard with his team to ensure that the food coming out of the kitchen is of the highest quality. We also have now appointed a dedicated breakfast chef to ensure that the breakfasts are constistantly good.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

Most of the reviews I've written seem to agree with the balance of opinion of other reviewers, but this certainly isn't the case with the Lancashire Manor. I have to admit to a good degree of uncertainty when I booked because so many other reviewers had few good things to say, but I wonder if they were staying at the same hotel as me! My opinion is that this hotel is OUTSTANDING.

The service on arrival and throughout my stay was exemplary: friendly, customer-focused and responsive. The restaurant was equally impressive, and the meal was tasty and well-served. Okay, it's not fine dining, but that isn't what it sets out to be. What they serve is good hotel food, and is very good value for money.

The hotel has had a complete makeover recently and the rooms are very modern and well appointed. Views - well it's just outside Wigan so you can see views of, er, Wigan. You can't see the Med, but then you can't from most British hotels... The hotel's grounds are nicely kept and there's plenty of parking.

I'd thoroughly recommend this hotel. If all the British hotels I stayed in had this level of customer service we'd all be happy. I know you're probably reading this and thinking I'm a lone voice, but give it a go - you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Room 11 is outstanding the Astley Suite. If you're a Best Western Diamond Card holder you can ge...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 339,334

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, it is important for are ongoing training to be able to see that the steps we are taking are really making a difference.

Reviewed January 28, 2012

Stayed in the hotel during a business trip. The room was large and the bed was very comfortable. Had a great sleep. The restaurant was ok, but the food choice was very limited, especially for vegetarians like me.

• Stayed: January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. If you do stay again and there is nothing on the menu that appeals to you, please ask for the duty manager who will be more than willing to provide something adhoc that would suit better.

Operations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skelmersdale
Holland Hall Country House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rufford
Mercure Haydock Hotel
Mercure Haydock Hotel
#3 of 3 in Haydock

Been to Best Western Plus Lancashire Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!