“Good food but lacked a little finesse”

Charnock Farm Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 82 Restaurants in Leyland
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I visited with my husband mid week, there were a few people in but it wasn't busy. The service was good and the waiting staff were polite and attentive.
The menu had a small but varied choice although I was a little dissapointed with the vegetarian options. (2 starters and 1 main, however one of the starters and the main were risotto so that limited choice even more) However the food we both chose was well prepared and beautifully presented.
The decor of the building is good although I felt that the restaurant lacked finesse, it is marketed as a fine dining restaurant and I think the food could live up to the title, however it's the little things that matter, the cutlery was cheap and didn't match, the napkins were paper, the tables had no cloths and were scratched and chipped, the butter from the starter was left on the table until the desserts were served by which time it was limp and almost liquid.
None of these things are major points which would spoil the meal, however they are things which could be easily improved upon to make the restaurant more of a 'special occasion' place than 'a meal out' place.
We had a 20% off voucher and our bill came to £45 for 2 people (inc 3 courses, 2 drinks each - lager & water, and tip) I would have felt it overpriced if I had paid the full amount but it was good for the amount we paid.
I'm not sure I'd choose go back, there are other places nearby which I feel offer a better experience, however if a group of friends had booked for an event then I'd happily return.

1  Thank Robyn W

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Four times we have attempted to visit this restaurant, three of those we have been turned away with various excuses,
Oh it's a set menu today- no mention of this beforehand.
Oh, we don't open Mondays anymore,
Website says otherwise, and A board outside offering deals for Mondays.
Ignorant on the phone when attempted to enquire why it was not open when we have nearly broken our noses trying to get into a locked front door.
Don't worry, we won't attempt to bother you again.

3  Thank BerylSnoddy
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We bought a Groupon offer '2 courses for £20' (to the value of £36) as we drew up to the restaurant we were very impressed as the building looked very impressive.
We were greeted by the lovely young waitresses & taken to our table.
The inside of the restaurant is quite small but is very quaint.
We were asked if we would like a drink & given the menu, 1st thing that we were not impressed with was 'Groupon offer menu' there were 2 choices for a starter & 2 for the main course with a vegetarian option.
We both chose the 'ham terrine' for starter, which was very nice although we felt the terrine was slightly to cold & would have expected a roll or some type of bread to accompany it?
I chose the chicken dish for my main which was presented lovely & was really tasty, my husband chose the plaice which again was presented lovely but he said had very little taste so was rather disapointed. My husband asked to look at the standard menu & if paying the full price was £18.95 with each starter being around £6, which we felt was rather pricey for the meal & would not liked to have paid that amount.
But it was the fact we felt singled out because we were on Groupon needless to say we will not be returning more so for the fact that the couple at the side of us had the same starter & they got bread!!

2  Thank Jeany_11
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Food and service second to none, but lacking atmosphere due to size. The venue is lovely but because of the high ceiling (it looks like a converted barn inside) it lacks in the cozy, homely feel. Perhaps getting a good interior decorator in might do the trick. Still the food is fabulous.

Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We went here as a party of 4. The place itself is beautifully decorated, so cosy with it snowing outside. I think a few of the staff were new because they seemed a bit lost.
The food itself was delicious. I had the rainbow trout. It was amazing. I have to say it's a little expensive but it ok as a great treat now and then. Would recommend!