“Nice getaway but not as advertised”

Great Hallingbury Manor
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We bought a Living Social deal to this Manor and were really looking forward to a 'romantic night away'. While the Manor is lovely, we were disappointed that the restaurant was closed and we had to eat our dinner in a side room with a heater in the corner for warmth. That being said, the food was quite good. Our room was in the building that was behind the Manor and was nice, but nothing extraordinary. We liked the chocolates and flower petals, but were disappointed there was no bathtub. Breakfast in our room was appreciated although the coffee was pretty awful.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I took my hubby here for a Birthday dinner treat and we were both pleasantly suprised. The Manor looks really gorgeous from outside which was a nice start. Only being a couple of miles from our house was also an added bonus. The food was amazing!! the wine was also very good! The service was good although if we had to critisise it was a little slow but we were enjoying the evening so it didnt really bother us. I was also very pleased with when they brought the rolls I asked if there were any gluten free ones... well blow me down they brought me some lovely warm Gluten free rolls, the best I had ever tasted!! So all in all a very good experience and I would and will definately be going back and telling all my friends. A big thumbs up from me :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I think the hotel is nice, clean and despite some problems due to adverse weather conditions (flooded kitchen hence no dinner) the hotel is great if going to the airport. However, my concern is that the hotel are marketing this hotel is a romantic getaway on certain deal websites. A zipped together bed that sinks in the middle, dried flower petals that just get everywhere you dont want them to get, soulless restaurant, and airplanes that wake you up at 6h30 in the morning. No matter how many industrial earplugs one wears, the noise is just deafening, and yes I know it's under the flight path and they can't help that - but it's not romantic !!!! That's all I want to add - however nice hotel and convenient for stansted and plane gazers!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Steve and Rose

Brilliant Venue!

We had a glorious day, everything ran so smoothly Gt Hallingbury could not do enough to help us, we have had so many comments from our guests about how professional and helpful the staff were. The wedding breakfast was served amazingly, the waiters did a proper silver service job waiting until each waiter had stood behind someone at the table before placing the meal on the table which was so delicious. The rooms were lovely and the bridal suite was second to none in the Essex area. They even supplied ear plugs as the hotel is on a flight path, so no problems with noise of aircraft for those of us that took the trouble to wear them.
I would certainly recommend Gt Hallingbury for a marriage as they pay so much attention to the small details to make your day special.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SPARKYHARLOW
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We spent the night of Sunday 6th January in this hotel. The check in was done quickly and efficiently. We were in Room 15 which was extremely small and very noisy with aeroplanes taking off. The window was only single glazed!! Is this because it is a listed building?? The bed took up the whole of the room. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was ok and the shower was hot and the towels nice. Most staff were friendly and polite, although the guy on the desk when we left wasn't very interested in us telling him that at 5.30 the next morning workmen were drilling and working. The best thing about the hotel was the fantastic food. Our evening meal was excellent, although not cheap. We were the only 2 in the restaurant all night. The restaurant itself is bland and soul-less, however everything was very clean and the waitress was good. If we stayed again we would request a larger room with double or triple glazing.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This hotel was dreadful - From the word go, up until the very end. We booked this hotel for a nice break away for NYE on the hotel website. There were options to add on dinner and breakfast - which we thought was fantastic. We then received an email to say that the dinner was fully booked for the evening and that we had to get a refund from the company we booked with - as far as we were concerned we had booked with the hotel! Well after a lot of hassle it appeared the dinner and breakfast were add-ons from a seperate company which thankfully did not charge us in the end. When we arrived at the hotel they were under the impression the reservation was cancelled! We had only cancelled the dinner with the seperate company, and we had confirmed the reservation with the hotel - yet they had still cancelled our booking. Therefore we had to wait until a room was cleaned and available - fair enough they gave us free biscuits and tea whilst waiting - but still very unprofessional first impression. The hotel confirmed breakfast was also complementary. When we arrived in the room, it was not the superior room we had booked. It was just an average room - nothing special. My partner had a shower - which was freezing. We decided to go out for dinner that evening in the town - would recommend the tandoori cottage if you enjoy a curry. When returning to the room and enjoying NYE, we attempted to then get to sleep for hours on end. Our room was based above reception and the noise was unbelievable! We could hear doors slamming, people next door, reception noise, plane noise - even through ear plugs provided I was tempted walk down to reception at 3.30am and get them to at least quieten the noise from other residents. We eventually got to sleep and was hoping for a lovely breakfast when waking up. When coming downstairs and finding the breakfast room which was confirmed as complementary, we were not on the list for a 'jazz brunch'. - having no idea what this was?! It appeared the manager had an excuse for everything! Apparently we were lucky as someone else had cancelled their breakfast, so we made the most of a full english breakfast which was nice. We were also lucky that a room was available in the first place! And coincendentally lucky enough to be at 'right places at the right time' Well by this point we wanted to leave asap, so we packed up and went to reception. The hotel has already taken a debit card reading when we checked in so we were surprised to be given an invoice on top of that! When queried they said the invoice payment overwrites the 'authorisation' payment we made the day before (which we were not told about!) And on top of that they charged us for a drink we supposedly had at the bar! I wish! Overall this was an awful experience and I would not reccommend this hotel at all!

Room Tip: Anywhere away from reception
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Emma M
Jonathan B, General Manager at Great Hallingbury Manor, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Thank you for your review which you wrote on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that you did not have a positive experience when making your reservation at our hotel and whilst you stayed with us. This is most certainly not the high standard of service and quality that we strive to achieve and that can clearly be seen on trip advisor with other feedback from guests that have stayed with us.

I can only apologise for any inconvenience that was caused due to the lack of hot water in you bathroom and for the overall service provided to you during your stay. I am sorry that you had a disturbed night's sleep due to other residents attending the New Year's Eve Party, but my night team do try and keep the noise down as best as they can. In regards to breakfast you should have been informed that breakfast was being served through room service due to the Jazz Brunch taking place, but unfortunately this was not communicated to you when you checked in. We thought by upgrading you to the Jazz Brunch so that you could have had your breakfast in a relaxed and leisurely atmosphere would go some way to apologise to you for this inconvenience.

I would like to thank you for your feedback as it is only by receiving feedback both positive and negative that we can hope and strive to improve the service and quality that we offer our guests.

I would very much like to discuss your review in more detail and to restore your faith in us to deliver a high standard of service, so if you could kindly contact me at the hotel on 01279506475, I would appreciate this very much. Once again please accept our sincere apologies and I do hope to speak with you soon.

Many thanks

Kind Regards

Jonathan

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Well, six of arrived for a Christmas break ,not to be entertained just to be not too far from home (1 hours drive) for a relaxing time together as friends.Jonathan Bonn greeted us so warmly and all the team were very helpfull and friendly.ok we laughed at noisy radiators in two of the three bedrooms and the shower was a law to itself but , everything else was wonderful. The food was superb, the beds were so comfortable,and the most lovely gift was awaiting us in our rooms from the management.Our first Christmas away from home in thirty four years was a real success so thankyou Jonathan and team for a very special time.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in High Wych
1 mi away
Travelodge Stansted Bishops Stortford Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Hatfield Heath

Been to Great Hallingbury Manor? Share your experiences!