“very clean and pleasant”

Greenways Lodge, Stansted Airport
and 1 more site!
Greenways Lodge, Stansted Airport
Reviewed December 7, 2011

the room had a lovely bed- with great clean smelling sheets- the cleanliness surpasses most 4 star hotels ive been too. the only let down was the very cold shower room so i couldnt shower- but i was grateful to have my own loo and sink.
i recommend this B and B and i will stay again. I promised myself that i would write a review on line as i was so impressed my their efforts

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank rosieleeDorset

Reviewed October 10, 2011

OK, first off: this is not a B&B, nor does it advertise itself as one. It is a guest house. (the clue is in the name).

Havings stayed there several times I've always found the landlord/ proprietor polite and friendly, albeit with a slightly off-beat manner. The beds are comfortable and quiet, although the linen isn't always up to scratch and the duvets often lack covers (that's pretty manky).

If you are flying very early or landing in very late, this is all you really need: A cheap bed, a hot shower and a complimentary airport transfer.

If you want better quality then expect to pay for it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Worked hard all day, flew into Gatwick (arriving late, not my fault, the airline's fault) hired a car, and drove to Stansted (1.5 hours) in driving rain, because they couldn't offer a 'free transfer' with 36 hours notice. Flight out at 7am from Stansted. This 'establishment' is in the middle of nowhere, and the directions on their website are totally unsatisfactory. Drove around for about an hour, asked at the Garage at the main road and at the Police Station no one ever heard of the place. Finally found it, a 6 inch high unlit sign in an unlit dark country back road. Faded white lettering less than1 inch high on dark green background. Totally impossible to see in rain/dark. Looks just like any other private house along the dark narrow country road (I had passed it at least 4 or 5 times before I found it at all). No indication that it's a B&B or anything, just a little house with a little house name sign. Told them I was coming in a hire car and driving up from Gatwick because of the uncertainty caused by the non availability of the 'free transfer' - didn't want to miss my 7am flight. No space to park. Worst of all arrived 9 mins after midnight, and the place was LOCKED UP. No bell, no number to phone, nothing. Tried to phone - no reply. So couldn't get in, had to go off and find another place in the dead of night, totally WHACKED. Received an email timed at 12.01 (8 mins before I arrived) stating that I was a no-show and was being charged, despite having to pay to stay elsewhere. Obviously no grace period allowed here, phone not answered even 7 mins after the clockwatchers clock off. Customer service - ZILCH. Robbed me of my money and I got nothing for it from these Cowboys. Looks quite crummy from the outside, seems to be arranged with doors to rooms opening out onto yard, like huts. After my experience read reviews on here and can't say I'm surprised by the way I have been treated. Will be requesting they are delisted from -----. Will be taking a County Court action to recover my money, as a point of principle.

Room Tip: Don't know what the rooms are like, good luck finding the place though.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Ian_Jersey
Reviewed September 18, 2011

The hotel is very convenient if you need to go to Stansted Airport. Think it was a 10-12 pound cab fair. Hotel was basic but acceptable for the price. I think the room facilities are slightly aged, but overall it was a fairly comfortable stay. The only bad thing was the shower, there was not much water pressure and the shower head had many of the holes blocked. Pub is a 5 minute walk away, with good food & friendly atmosphere, but bring a torch for the walk back because it's pitch black!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 20, 2011

Stayed in December on business, The place was booked online by my company and paid for 5 nights in full. I arrived in stanstead at around 11am forgetting that the place diddt open untill 5pm. So i sat out side for 10minutes and saw the owner pull up. Before i could get out the car he ran into the house! I found that quite funny as he diddnt casually do it he hardly had time to close his car door!

After a long wait we got in about 1730, After being greeted by the same rude man who ran away. The room was tiny there were 2 of us and the twin beds had 3inches between them! Also we had been put next to a room that had people in and out ALL night so we got no sleep. Also the room was freezing. Im a contractor so i have stayed in some bad places but this took the biscuit!

In a past comment from the management on this site they claim to put guests like us with long bookings away from busy rooms. This is total rubbish and when we wanted to talk to the manager in the morning we couldnt untill 5pm!!

We went back to the room about 10am to pack our stuff up and leave. Half way through the cleaner comes in from a secret door! In a equally rude manner she said "Wha u Doin ere!" so i told her we were packing up and leaving and he disapeared into the door again. We put the keys through the letterbox and got into our car.

Then i saw the running man again! But his time he was running to us to see why we were going. I explained why and we left while he rubbed his hands with 5 nights money for 1 nights stress! I have paid £20 in B&Bs that are far better than this

DO NOT GO HERE ITS NO GOOD FOR ANYONE.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
7  Thank supasparks
Reviewed February 21, 2011

A few points worth considering before anyone books here:

- the advertised prices are only if you're paying by cash, it's actually more to pay by card.
- Having stayed in budget hostels all over the world and lived in various student halls / houses, the shower (in room 4) was the worst I've ever experienced. A pathetic dribble of either freezing cold or scolding hot water.
- The sheets didn't look or feel particularly clean.
- One of the owners tried our door (without knocking) at 09.45 to see if we were still there and luckily we'd locked it, otherwise it could have been embarrassing for all concerned. She then started knocking on our door from 10.30 asking us to check out, despite the advertised check-out time being 11.00.

I suppose for £39 for the night you shouldn't expect too much, but I wasn't anticipating a pointless shower, dirty sheets and someone trying to come into our room in the morning.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jonboy_40
Reviewed February 7, 2011

NO breakfast included in any of the room rates - you have to pay extra and the cost of one organic egg is £2.00, which is extortionate!
'Free' shuttle bus (included in the price of your room) is actually the owner giving you a lift to Stansted, but only at the time time he is also dropping off a family member for their flight!
Room was boiling hot (& on the flight-path) - owner has removed the temperature control dials from storage heaters so guests are unable to control the heat output themselves.
The friendliest member of staff was the owner's cat - who greeted us immediately, by jumping up onto the Reception desk!!!
Tne shower trickled (some) water.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank looby_lou2002

Been to Greenways Lodge, Stansted Airport? Share your experiences!