“Too spread out”

Norton Park - A QHotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sutton Scotney
“Too spread out”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, but nothing special. Set in several big buildings linked by outdoor corridor walkways. Makes moving from one part of the hotel to another too confusing and chance of getting lost. Dinner was reasonable, breakfasts were old and dried under the lights. An acceptable hotel for the deal price, but I am surprised at the number of stars it has. It is OK and does the job. Staff are nice and friendly, and the best thing of all is free wi-Fi everywhere. 3 Phone signal doesn't work so with-Fi was really helpful.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Tom186284, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Norton Park. I am sorry to hear that you found the hotel layout confusing and I have passed on your comments regarding the breakfast quality with the Head Chef. I am glad to hear you took advantage of the free wi-fi throughout the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Polish first
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

This hotel is very comfortable although its somewhat dated modern decor is disappointing and lacking in atmosphere. The entrance hall is very spacious and airy but the lounge is rather uninviting. There is a brown and orange carpet throughout the hotel which is not to my taste and which does not help. However, the staff were all very hard-working, pleasant and attentive indeed. A request for feather pillows was granted right away: we find that hotels nowadays do not provide them and as I simply cannot sleep on polyester-filled pillows this is a big plus.

Breakfast was amazing: of particular note were the perfect poached eggs, cooked to order, and the fried eggs (not greasy, soft yolks, set whites but no hard burnt bits etc.) Tea or coffee is offered and brought very quickly and there is a good selection of everything else one could wish for.

Re dining, it is not cheap, e.g the cheese board dessert for 1 costs £9. Our deal paid in advance included dinner on the first night of the stay. The menu was unusual and seeing the prices I asked what we could have on the deal (embarrassing). Only then were we told that we could have food to the value of £26 each, and although this was just about possible for 3 courses without drinks, we had to keep calculating how much we were spending before incurring a surcharge - not very conducive to relaxation! We enjoyed the tasty soup and char-grilled chicken but could have done with being offered more than one piece of bread and more of the delicious 'market vegetables'. The next night our meals were less pleasing. (We had intended to eat elsewhere but the hotel is very isolated, being in the middle of a park, and we didn't feel like going to search for a restaurant.) My starter was short on quantity and a 'risotto' served with very good roast salmon was watery and inedible, so we did have to complain about it. The way this was dealt with was done pleasantly: we were offered free desserts but declined so the bill for the salmon/risotto was halved.

Unfortunately we did not manage to try out the spa due to one of us not being well. We had taken advantage of a Q Hotel Winter sale offer (non-refundable and non-amendable) which was good value but as one of us was not feeling well and something else came up nearer the time, we would have preferred to have been able to change the dates of this trip. (I did try to do this, but met with repetition of the same mantra - "This deal is non-amendable and non-refundable".) I am not sure that these deals are such a good idea for this reason. Surely they should be allowed to be postponed within the time frame of the offer price window?

Another couple of points - the rooms are a long way from Reception and to get to ours we had to walk through a kind of bridge with sides open to the air. In December this is cold, so it was necessary to wear a jacket or cardigan even to go to the restaurant. Also the heater in the room was unfathomable and there were no instructions for it that we could find. We should have asked for help but forgot until late, when we didn't wish to have to wait for someone to come to the room. We were too hot the first night and so the second night we just switched it off and opened the window. (Good that this was possible.) Our bedroom was a twin guest room and seemingly the most basic, and all things considering, was comfortable, having good beds, a good television well-placed on the wall for watching in bed and a smart bathroom with a good shower over the bath. Again, the decor was rather too brown for me and looked like a business man's room, with no concessions to feminine taste.

My overall rating should really be 3 and a half, because our experience was neither average nor very good, but somewhere in between, i.e. quite good overall. We might stay there again but only if we were certain to be able to find somewhere else to eat dinner.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Tom186284, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I will pass on your kind comments to the breakfast team for both the quality of food and service. I will discuss with the chef your comments regarding your dinner on the second night in particular the risotto. The menu is regularly being revised to ensure that guest feedback can be taken into account. When making the booking you would have had the option of booking the Flexi rate that can be cancelled up to 12 noon on the day of arrival. It is a shame that you were not able to utilse the spa and leisure facilities during your stay. On a future stay if you decide to dine out one evening the reception team would be delighted to recommend restaurants with in 20 minutes of the hotel. I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Norton Park.
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

My fiancé and I have just returned from Norton Park after an enjoyable stay over the weekend, however there were a few areas where the hotel could so with some improvement.

We arrived on Friday evening and were warmly greeted by the receptionist. The check-in process was very quick and we made our way through the endless corridors to our room. I think our room was the furthest from reception and took a good five minutes to get to, its remarkable how large the hotel actually is. The first issue of the weekend presented itself once we reached our room - neither of the key cards for the room worked. I took the keys back and they were re-programmed, a minor inconvenience. Once we got into the room we were impressed by the size and design.

We decided to eat in the hotel restaurant on the first evening. The food was pretty good without being spectacular, however was quite expensive, particularly the wine. We also had breakfast both mornings we were there - it was pretty good overall although on both occasions we had to ask for more milk, menus etc.

During the weekend we also used the gym and spa facilities and both were very good as was the spa and pool.

Overall we had an enjoyable time but the hotel suffers from its location. For instance we got a taxi to Winchester on the Saturday evening (for the Christmas market) and from just outside Winchester back to the property later that evening and the total cost for both journeys was c. £60. Additionally we requested a taxi prior to check out on the Sunday and the original taxi firm we used (Wessex cars) hadn't arrived after 45 minutes after they were first called, despite initially saying they would be around 15 minutes. The hotel ended up calling another taxi firm as we had a train we needed to catch back to London and in the end we left the hotel over an hour after asking for a taxi to the station. This left a bitter taste in the mouth, I believe Wessex cars are the hotel's preferred taxi company but my recommendation for anyone staying at Norton Park is to ask for an alternative provider given our experience.I also think the hotel could have reacted quicker to the issue given we were waiting outside for nearly 30 minutes before we were informed that there might be a delay.

So overall a good stay and if I could have awarded 3.5 stars I would have, just those couple of issues meant I couldn't give the hotel 4.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel comfortable and were able to use many of our facilities. Our taxi company is normally very reliable and I apologise for the inconvenience caused on the day of your departure. We will certainly monitor the service that the taxi company provides and make a change if required.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

This was only a one night business stay but genuinely felt it would have been nice to have stayed longer.

The entrance to the hotel is very grand with plenty of parking. On arrival I was warmly greeted by the reception manager (Chloe) who was thoroughly attentive and gave me all the information I needed for my stay.

Whilst my room was quite a way away from anywhere (up a few stairs, across a cold walkway etc) it was nicely located opposite the swimming pool. The room itself was beautifully appointed with all the stuff one needs - full wifi, great shower and big comfy bed. Some of the common areas could do with a few touch ups and the corridors were quite dark, but this did not detract from the visit.

In the evening I ate in the bar area - very nice food, nicely presented and a very comfortable area to relax in. The bar staff (Rachel) were excellent too and made you feel very at home. Felt food prices were a little on the high side, but that is of course the nature of a four star hotel.

Great nights sleep and easy check out in the morning. Would definitely recommend this hotel for a short break.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Tom186284, General Manager at Norton Park - A QHotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Norton Park. I am thrilled that you enjoyed yourself and that your room had all you need. It is great to hear that Chloe and Rachel looked after you well and you were able to relax on your brief visit. It would be great to welcome you back for a longer stay with us.
Andover, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stay here once ot twice every year and the staff are always very attentive and always smiling. The rooms are always spottlesly clean.
Just a couple of points - The hotel was full so the shower water temperature was only warm and we had to wait for breakfast but, they had taken the trouble to place a supply of pastries, tea & coffee in the waiting area. They did not appear to have sufficient staff to clear the tables, which tended to cause a queue for breakfast.
But apart from that, it was lovely.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us and may I thank you for your continuous custom. It is great to welcome you back and I am delighted that you enjoyed yourself and I do apologise that there were issues regarding the breakfast service. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Andover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

We booked a night in the manor house at the hotel and it was amazing. We only live 15 mins away so wanted something nice without all the travelling so we opted for the norton park. We arrived at reception and was greeted by a very nice polite receptionist who gave us clear instructions to our room and how to get to the maonr house. When entering the manor it was stepping back in time as felt cozy as all the Xmas decorations were up . On entering our room we found it really spacious and very clean. We had plenty of clean towels and fluffy dressing gowns. A very comfortable bed and the view was to die for from the bedroom and the bathroom. We ate in the resturant and the food was good and the staff very tentative. Breakfast was good with a lovely choice but what I found I walked away with is how so many of the staff smile at you so friendly .cant wait for another overnight stay . Would defo be recommending this hotel :)

Room Tip: If you can afford to upgrade to the Maonor house then do. You will feel like a lord/ lady of the man...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Norton Park and I am delighted you chose to celebrate your birthday with us. The manor house is such a beautiful building and dates back to the 16th Century and makes the perfect treat. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed yourself and the friendliness of the team here. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Slough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed here the last weekend in November and what a great experience we had. Lovey rooms great breakfast in the mornings even though the hotel was busy pool and spa ares were very good also. The staff were the best I have ever met and nothing was too much for them they all deserve a large pat on the back. We were so impressed that we have become members. So thank you norton park it made a great weekend away.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I am thrilled to hear that you had such a great experience in November and have joined the breakaway club. We have a great team and it is a pleasure to hear that you found them so welcoming. Do keep an eye out on the great offers you will get as part of your membership and we look forward to welcoming you back to Norton Park.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sutton Scotney
Lime Wood Hotel
#2 of 8 in Lyndhurst
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,220 reviews
Macdonald Botley Park Hotel & Spa, Southampton

Been to Norton Park - A QHotel? Share your experiences!