“Good value, friendly staff. Hot tasty breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Birch Hotel

Birch Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Heywood
London, England
“Good value, friendly staff. Hot tasty breakfast”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in a double room overlooking the fountain at the front. Room large but decor appeared a bit faded ( a couple of holes noted in headboard), but good internet access and plenty of space. Staff very friendly and helpful at check in and check out. Breakfast freshly cooked and nice spread of fruit juices and cereal to help yourself to. Only minor criticism was room was a bit cold at night and no option to turn on radiators within guest room as appear to be on a timer in the mornings (by which time we were too hot). Local taxi service very efficient at collecting guests from hotel - fare into Heywood approx £3.50 and to Manchester Piccadilly £18.00. Bargain price - basic but made up with good customer service.

Room Tip: Ask to over look the fountain at the front for a pretty view of fields
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
THEBIRCHHOTEL, Guest Relations Manager at Birch Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff!
I sincerely apologise with regards to the issues you had during your stay, corrective actions have been taken immediately.

We will do our best to upgrade you should you next be in the area, See you soon!

Lisa Sousa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Nice building, easy parking, comfortable bed, spotlessly clean, super staff, nice breakfast in pleasant surroundings, all the things we hope for. The only criticism we could make was that while a small fortune had obviously been spent on the building in the past, maintenance hadn't kept up. The cracks and creases needed a little work to return it to its original splendour.

Room Tip: Nice views over the grounds from our front-facing room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your stay and review on TripAdvisor, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Hospitality is something we pride ourselves in and we continuously strive to make each guests stay comfortable.

Your coment on the hotel maintenance is welcomed and valued, this is certainly something we can discuss as a management team to look at improving.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon!

Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Was a bit disappointed with them room as it ad no view at back of building felt like we ad been shoved in a cupboard..the place is great. .drinks are expensive..very nice inside and friendly atmosphere the staff are great ..won't be bothering again tho I'm afraid.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
THEBIRCHHOTEL, Front Office Manager at Birch Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your stay at the Birch Hotel and your comment on Tripadvisor.
We very much regret that we could not meet your expectations concerning the size of the room and the bar prices.
I understand that your stay with us left a bad impression overall, but I sincerely hope you will give us another chance.
We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again to our hotel.

Lisa Sousa

Travelers are raving about these Heywood hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Having just spent 12 days staying at this hotel,i feel i need to thank Lisa,Sanjay and Ella
for making our stay so enjoyable.
Top marks for comfort,cleanliness,friendliness and nothing too much trouble from the helpful
staff.
Breakfast was excellent,complete full monty,freshly cooked and evening meals excellent value
and beautifully cooked.
Easy access to motor ways and shopping centres.
Would readily recommend the Birch Hotel to anyone.
Look forward to our next visit

Room Tip: top floor rooms backing onto fountain is very pleasant and sunny
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
THEBIRCHHOTEL, Guest Relations Manager at Birch Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Eileen,

Thank you very much for your lovely review. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay and Ella, Sanjay and myself would like to personally thank you for your comments. Chef will also be happy to hear he has yet another satisfied customer!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I travel extensively on business and first impressions are very important to me. First impressions are not good pulling up to the main entrance from a very busy main road. The car park is extremely generous, well lit at night (and Free!). Initial thoughts were that the outside of The Birch Hotel looks a bit like a 1980's Residential Nursing/Care Home. Dated, dark and a bit gloomy. The large centrepiece water fountain is a nice feature on the way up to the Reception Entrance. Reception is an improvement with a small, tastefully decorated Bar area to the right and a good size Restaurant to the left. I was warmly welcomed with a big smile by Magdalena, who couldn't have been more helpful and cheerful. I stayed in Room 22 which is at the furthest point away from a Reception, overlooking the Car Park/Garden area, which was quieter than overlooking the busy main road. I took pictures of the Decor/finishing in the room, as it was below expectations, I still have them but can't upload to Trip Advisor(?). The Bed and Room were clean, but there was severe condensation on the main window, exposed light switches to the Bathroom Mirror Light and Wall Light above the Headboard. The wall light switch was 'grubby'. Bathroom floor tiles weren't grouted at all??? And the wall tiles above the toilet weren't grouted either?? The shower dribbled, so much so, the glass shower door didn't even get wet! On the plus side, the room was a good size, plenty of storage space, TV worked as did Tea/Coffee facilities. Decor colour and carpets are an acquired taste, for my liking.

Breakfast was a positive, nice view overlooking the rear garden. Small but adequate cereal selection, with Toast, Tea, Coffee and Fruit Juice, followed by a really tasty Full English Breakfast. The staff in the Hotel couldn't be friendlier, more helpful or happy. They really do their very best.

So a mixed review, I really want to praise more, but to do so, the above issues (which to some are wholly unacceptable) must be put right. It wasn't the cheapest hotel, and represent value for money if the hotel choose to address these issues.

Room Tip: Pot Luck to be quite honest. I would say the staff would do all they can to accommodate requirement...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Richard02271519
Dear Richard,

Thank you for your review. The hotel was once a mill owner’s home and, as it is a slightly rural location, it has externally retained some of the characteristics which adds to the country feel. I am pleased to hear your welcome was warm and Magdalena will be happy to hear this.
I am sorry to hear your room wasn’t up to standard and if you had have brought these issues to the attention of the manager on duty; they would have promptly upgraded your room.

I have organised for the maintenance manager to look at the window to rectify the condensation problem. As for the tiles, they are indeed grouted. I can only apologise for the issue with the light switches and can assure you they have been replaced. It seems this may have been left unnoticed by the housekeeping staff.

The lack of power in your shower is due to there being a high number of guests staying on the night you stayed, resulting in the water flow being reduced. This has now been resolved with new parts being added to the current system allowing for higher usage and eliminating any negative effects.

I would like to thank you for bringing these issues to my attention and would like to assure you they have not been ignored. All the staff will be pleased to hear they have made your stay enjoyable and if you wish to return in the future, please be assured of our best attentions.

Bridlington
Reviewed June 2, 2014

A very nice hotel. I booked with Lisa.. My granddaughter and I with our 2 yorkies were met with a warm and friendly smile. The room was clean and cosy, the beds were soft and the linen and bathroom was excellent. The full English was the full monty, it set us up for the day at east Lancashire railways 1940s weekend. A big thanks to Lisa and all the staff, and the staff for finding Mollies teddy. We will use the Birch hotel again and would highly recommend it ..Glen..

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank glen S
Dear Glen,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are constantly striving to go that extra mile to ensure our guests are happy, and it doesn’t end when our guests leave. It was our pleasure to send Mollie’s teddy back to her. He turned into somewhat of a hotel mascot whilst he was waiting to go home! Our chef will be pleased you enjoyed the breakfast and all the staff will be pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and would return.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Birch Hotel in the near future.

Inverkip, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed here with my Husband for the night, the room was dirty, and did not smell fresh. The window of the room was open when we got into the room, i later realised this was because it was broken and could not close. The room was dark and in need of better lighting. In the morning there was only one small towel between the 2 of us, as we were running late for breakfast I let this go. I made my way downstairs to get breakfast, sitting at the front door was last nights takeaway containers and empty beer bottles, I watched 2 members of staff walk past this disgusting mess and do nothing. The smell of the left over Kebabs turned my stomach so I gave breakfast a miss. I wouldn't go anywhere near this hotel again I'm afraid.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank julia h
THEBIRCHHOTEL, Guest Relations Manager at Birch Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Julia,

Thank you for your review. Firstly, may I apologise that you didn’t enjoy your stay. After speaking to the housekeeping supervisor about your room not being up to standard, I have implemented a more thorough cleaning schedule and arranged for extra training to be given to our cleaners. Please note, if you had brought the issues to the attention of the manager on duty, we would have immediately upgraded your room to make your stay more comfortable.

As we are not a 24 hour hotel, our reception closes at 11pm therefore, there are no staff members present until 6:45am the next day. Any glasses or rubbish that are left by guests during this period can’t be cleared away until the morning staff arrive. A bin has been placed outside the main entrance for guests to put their rubbish in to avoid this situation, but unfortunately, not all guests use it. It is unacceptable if any of our staff members have walked past without clearing it and I can guarantee this will not happen in the future,

Please accept my apologies and be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed. Should you wish to return, please be assured of our best attentions.

Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Heywood
Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa
The Royal Toby Hotel
The Royal Toby Hotel
#2 of 6 in Rochdale
Premier Inn Rochdale Hotel
BEST WESTERN Broadfield Park Hotel
Comfort Inn Manchester North
BEST WESTERN Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel

Been to Birch Hotel? Share your experiences!