“Another great brunch at Aubergine - never disappoints”
Review of Aubergine Cafe

Aubergine Cafe
Ranked #1 of 62 Restaurants in West Kirby
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Aubergine is a warm and friendly licensed café situated on a quiet pedestrianised side street just off The Crescent, West Kirby. We offer good food with friendly service and excellent prices.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Another great brunch at Aubergine - never disappoints”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Had a great Good Friday brunch at Aubergine. Breakfast bin lid is a winner!
We were back in again today for lunch - great food, nice people, great atmosphere.
Probably the best lunch in West Kirby.

• Visited April 2012

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Amazing! Highly recommend!”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I have been to Aubergine on quite a few occassions and absolutley love it as do my friends and family! The staff are always extremely friendly, so much so the owner served me and my nephews food after the food service had ended and even gave us soup left over from the day for our supper!

I am very very surprised at the negative comments and will continue to visit Aubergine!

Liverpool
“Over priced, dirty tables & generally disappointing”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Having seen several of the positive reviews on here I went along expecting good things. Sadly I was disappointed with the entire experience. £2 for a can, yes, a can of lemonade is excessive no matter which way you spin it. As is £4.50 for two eggs on a muffin. The food was lukewarm and fairly tasteless, and though the cafe itself is presented well with a nice look (for which the 1 star is awarded), that doesn't make up for the filthy tables. Most were empty when we arrived and none were clean. Despite the staff noticing us looking around for a clean one, nothing was done about it. The staff all seemed fairly miserable as well and had a bad attitude (a thanks doesn't take much when someone is paying), so it was hardly a welcoming atmosphere. To be honest we felt robbed afterwards, both of our time and money. Perhaps this was an off day, and I may give it another go in the future, but only once I've sampled the rest of the cafes in West Kirby, of which there are ample more reasonably priced and appreciative.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank AlexandreSL
ndrwmhn, Owner at Aubergine Cafe, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Alexandre,

Thank you for your review. It could not escape my notice that on the very same day you gave Aubergine a 1 star 'Terrible' review, that you awarded Sweet Pea cafe (the second highest rated eatery in West Kirby) a 5 star 'Excellent' review.

Also, I would like to point out that you incorrectly state that our canned drinks are £2. In the interests of clarity, our cans are priced at £1.20 and all prices are clearly indicated on our menus.

What's more, the "two eggs on a muffin" to which you refer is actually Eggs Florentine; poached eggs, with spinach & a hollandaise sauce served on muffin.

I sincerely regret that you left the cafe feeling robbed and would like to make you an offer. Please contact me at hello @ theaubergine .co and, on delivery of a valid receipt from our cafe, I will gladly refund to you the full amount shown on that receipt. Additionally, though I cannot refund you the time you feel you wasted visiting the cafe, I will try to make amends by personally donating £100 to a charity of your choice.

Not a single reviewer who has left the cafe a poor review and whom I have contacted via a Management Response here on TripAdvisor has replied to my request to make contact so that we could attempt to make amends. I would very much appreciate it if you would be the first!

Again, thank you for taking the time to write your review, and Happy Easter!
Hoylake, United Kingdom
“Breakfast, lunch or brunch give it a go.”
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Love this little quaint cafe, tucked away in West Kirby. Usual lunch menu but difference is it tastes really good. Coffee's, soft drinks and wines are good too. Staff are great, will accommodate requests and make suggestions. Will definitely return. One minus is they don't take card, cash only.

West kirby
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Defo not number 1 !!!! Never again !!!”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Walked in with my friend and felt immediately uncomfortable. The staff were rude and unobliging and we left without ordering! Would not recommend.

1 Thank Libby P
ndrwmhn, Owner at Aubergine Cafe, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Libby,

I'm sorry that your first ever review on TripAdvisor is a Terrible review. Could you please elaborate further, as your review is highly unspecific.

What about the cafe made you feel immediately uncomfortable? Which day did you visit, and at what time? Was the cafe busy or quiet at the time of your visit?

If you didn't order, what contact did you have with the staff that made you feel they were rude and unobliging? I will take this opportunity to say that we are very proud of our staff, who always work hard and strive to provide polite and friendly service.