“Let Down By Poor Service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Premier Inn Bristol (Alveston) Hotel

Premier Inn Bristol (Alveston) Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Alveston
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
“Let Down By Poor Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed here on business and all I want is to be treated well and receive good customer service. Seems I want too much.

It's a Premier Inn so as far as I'm concerned the room is a given that it will be clean and comfortable. It was - hooray. The TV was a bit small but that's really not a problem.

So the only variable is the service and the food. I'll start with the service upon check-in. I had an email on my iPhone from the booking company and the young lady behind the counter found a faxed version of the same email. It states that dinner bed and breakfast can be charged back to them. I had seen on my emailed version that I could also charge wifi and and a morning paper back too. I asked the member of staff if she would do this. "It's not shown on my fax so I can't"...I protested and said I had it on my email version and offered to show her. "Just because you have it on your phone it doesn't mean I can charge it back. I have to go on what it says on the fax" came the somewhat rude and slightly aggressive reply! Now keep in mind the wifi charge is £3 for 24 hours so it wasn't like I was asking for the entire room service menu to be charged back. I then asked her to charge it anyway and I would deal with any fallout from the booking company. "No" came the reply. Would she speak to them then I asked? Once again the 'fax says no' reply got trotted out. By now, being rather fed up with all this I asked to see the fax and there in the (admittedly) small print at the bottom it said wifi and morning paper can be charged back..."Oh (giggle giggle) it looks like I can then". Had she bothered to look at the email on my iPhone she would have seen it and could have gone straight to it on her faxed version without the need for a back and forth argument. So anyway, I'm finally booked in and all is good.

Evening meal in the Ship pub next door was all very pleasant. Friendly staff and a good menu (instant mash was a bit of a let down) and reasonably priced. I was a happy bunny by now and had forgotten about my bad check-in experience. To bed.

Following morning and I met with my two colleagues at 7am for breakfast having been informed that the Ship is separately run from the Premier Inn and they won't start breakfast any earlier. We needed to be away that morning and 7am was cutting it fine. We were shown to a table straight away and had everything pointed out to us. We helped ourselves to coffee and juice etc and sat down and ordered our cooked breakfasts. I like Premier Inn because you get a freshly cooked breakfast. The Ship however not only cook it fresh but they must get the hen to lay the eggs, the chef must butcher and make the sausage and bacon and grow the mushrooms from scratch. It took nearly 25 minutes for three fairly standard breakfasts to arrive and we were running out of time to eat them. Thankfully the Ship provided a solution to this by serving up one of the worst cooked breakfasts I've ever tried to eat. Most of it including the mushrooms seems to have been deep fried and was leaving a greasy mess on the plate, the beans were tepid, the poached eggs were solid and the hash brown was like rice cake. So after a quick sample of all of it, it was clear that the time needed to eat it all wouldn't be required as it was inedible. On the up side at least we wouldn't now be late for our meeting. Just hungry.

We mentioned the poor quality to the staff member who apologised and told us to tell reception who would refund us the cost of breakfast. Not much help when we were now on the verge of running late due to the poor service, and hungry due to the poor quality plus it was all paid for by my company so I certainly wouldn't be seeing the refund!

On leaving it was mentioned to the receptionist who sounded most shocked at how poor the breakfast had been as she had never heard anyone complain before. She didn't do anything other than say she would speak to the Ship about it. Thanks. Then as I was about to leave I was handed the newspaper that I'd ordered for the morning and was expecting outside my door but wasn't overly surprised when it didn't show up. What kind of a system are they running where they hand you the newspaper when you check out?

Others on here have commented that the place looks like an old Butlins and it needs a revamp etc etc. To be honest the decor and rooms are perfectly ok, after all its a budget hotel and once you're in your room that's what counts. As stated before, the standard of accommodation is fine. What really lets this Premier Inn down is the service and in future I won't be staying in this one again. Ironically there is a Hilton hotel much closer to where I needed to be but I always pick Premier Inn over it due to the better service and value for money. The usual Premier Inn was full this time and in future if that happens I would sooner go back to the Hilton than stay in this Premier Inn again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Simon M
Whitbread-77, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Bristol (Alveston) Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to deliver a high standard of and service and we sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed to achieve this. Please be assured that at Premier Inn we take all feedback seriously and we would like the opportunity to investigate these issues further. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com & we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Polish first
Kent, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

First time at a premier inn! Was very impressed. Fantastic value for money, comfortable bed, large well appointed family room.

Staff were all very friendly and welcoming. Loads of car parking and a nice quiet location.

Only downside was the weak wi-fi signal one night. The first half hour is free, then it's £3 a day.

Will stay again when visiting family, if the rate is good!

Room Tip: We had a ground floor family room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I recently stayed at Alveston on Boxing night as a stop over before heading to Devon on holiday. I have stopped at this Premier Inn many times and I have noticed that standards have been dropping. on arriving I was greeted by the usual friendly polite staff who promptly checked my in. on entering the room once again I had to go back to reception to complain that there was only one set of towels in the room again.(over the last five to six times I have stayed not enough towels allocated to the room) I was given a set of towels with no apology. The nights sleep was constantly interrupted due to the single beds that had been zipped together where different heights and a hard ridge kept digging in us when we turned over.
Finally as it was the Christmas period I thought I would double check the times of the breakfast the next morning, I was told it was 7 to 9 which would was great as I was hoping to head off early the next morning to visit family in near by Weston Supermare. We made our way over to the pub that is next to the hotel at 7 am only to find it was locked up, when we asked at reception we were told that breakfast was at 8am clearly not what we and other people where told the day before. Overall this is generally a fantastic hotel that is away from the hassle of Bristol but things are slipping and although they may seem small grumbles they are things that you expect to be right from the start.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Warminster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I arrived having booked 12 x rooms along with family and friends.
The receptionist Kerry greeted us all on arrival with a very smiley and cheerful welcome. Kerry had everybody sorted out and in their rooms within 15 minutes of arriving including moving one of our party who is 90+ years of age into a ground floor room graciously without hesitation.

My wife and I had a King Size double room and my smallest 5 year old grandaughter wanted to stay in our room. I asked Kerry if it was possible and with a cheery smile she agreed to sort out and when we went back to our room an hour later. Kerry had made Isabel a comfy bed under the window. Kerry is an assett for the Premier not to be overlooked.

Room Tip: We were in room 127 which was excellent the rest of my party were spread throughout the hotel and al...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dustinregis
Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights over Xmas whilst visiting friends and family.

Clean, spacious rooms, comfortable beds and a really good shower - what more do you need?
Staff were all very welcoming and friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed with my family for one night after Christmas in three rooms and we were all very impressed. For the price; the service and accommodation were outstanding and even if we had paid more we would have been very happy with everything. The girls on reception, both when we arrived and when we left the following morning were lovely, very polite and helpful. The rooms were all together which was great as we could let my one year old daughter nap in one room, while we waited next door with the baby alarm. They were clean and roomy, with a kingsize bed and a sofa that converted to a single bed in each room and there was still room for a travel cot for my daughter. The showers were hot and powerful which is very important to me and we weren't disturbed by any noise from nearby roads. The building is not particularly attractive from outside but it does have nice views. We had dinner at the attached pub which was delicious and again the service exceeded expectations. Breakfast in the morning was average but the service was pleasant. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Maidenhead
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Room not up to the standard of Newbold where I stayed the previous night. Enjoyed an excellent dinner both at Newbold and. Durham.Breakfast arrangements at both also excellent.
Received an email from Newbold confirming booking

Room Tip: Check the room heating and ventilation on arrival.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Whitbread-77, Naina - Social Media at Premier Inn Bristol (Alveston) Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for your review.

It really matters to us that our guests have a comfortable nights sleep, and we sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this.

We are aware of the issues regarding high room temperatures. Air conditioning units being installed in our hotels this is a work in progress and implemented into our estate on a priority basis. In the meantime we do have processes in place to reduce temperatures as much as possible.

Please be assured your comments have been noted and will be fully investigated. Once again thank you for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Naina

Online Customer Service Team,
Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alveston
Alveston House Hotel
Premier Inn Bristol Cribbs Causeway (M5, J17) Hotel
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
Aztec Hotel & Spa Bristol
#1 of 5 in Almondsbury

Been to Premier Inn Bristol (Alveston) Hotel? Share your experiences!