All reviewsthe pubcricket groundbalcony overlookingchicken clubholiday campchef and brewercar parkfirst floorreception staffcomfortable bedpub next doorgood nights sleepnight's sleepa ground floor roomfamily roomevening mealcooked breakfast
Reviewed August 17, 2012

As regular visitors of the premier inn, we were pleasantly suprised by this hotel, it is quirky looking and feels very different from first walking through the door under the little stone archway. The staff are very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them to make our stay more comfortable. The hotel room was a good size and it had a balcony!!!! How wonderful! We were on the ground floor but there was a door out to a little balcony and a nice view of the cricket pitch. It was so nice to be able to get some air through and pack and unpack in peace while kids played outside. The room was a bit of an odd shape which is fine and could probably use a bit more storage space, some coat hangers by the door would be good. The bathroom was adequate but not quite up to normal premier inn standard. Our biggest disappointment with this hotel was the restaurant, we didn't eat there on an evening as there is so much to do locally we weren't arriving back til late but the breakfast was not up to the usual premier inn standard at all, there was no sunflower spread or soya milk available, which is hugely disappointing to someone who cannot tolerate milk and relies on these products, we were told by the restaurant staff that it had been ordered but hadn't come in yet. The next day soya milk from Sainsbury's was available (premier inn usually use Alpro) but it was fine, nice to have it and the spread was a whole tub of pure that Steve the night receptionist from the hotel had gone to buy for me on his way home after nightshift!!!! I'm so impressed by just how far the staff will go to make our stay a pleasant one, it's just a shame that he had to. The 'fresh fruit salad' was tinned and no fresh fruit was available at all which was disappointing as we were there for three nights! The toaster was set to 'warm bread' or 'burnt', on the upside though, the hash browns were lovely, better than the usual premier inn ones! I hear that the restaurant is not ran by Whitbread, but it's a shame that the restaurant lets down what would otherwise have been a perfect stay.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Clean, welcoming, in excellent repair and quiet. Well done Ayesha for your reception skills and your friendliness. Our first impression of the hotel was very good because of the service that you gave us.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul G
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We visited as a family, me, husband and my two teenage daughters. We wanted a city break in Bristol as the uni is on my eldests' shortlist and she wanted to see what Bristol was like. But all of the city hotels were either very expensive or we could nto find one where we could park our car within view of the hotel. This premier inn came up as good value with vacancies for the dates we wanted. We stayed for three nights, sunday til wednesday.

The rooms are clean and spacious. we had a family room, switching the girls to a twin on the second night. The family room had a king size bed, and two singles, one of which was a bit on the short side for an average kid. However, the beds were all comfortable, linen clean and plenty of towels supplied. The bathroom decor was a bit tired, and smelled slightly as if a male had repeatedly missed his aim but otherwise appeared clean. The room was on the ground floor with a balcony/patio overlooking the cricket pitch. One gripe would be a lack of plug sockets and a hairdryer that would have had stiff competition had I enlisted a baby to breathe on my hair!

The location is quiet and we did not experience any noise or disturbance from neighbouring rooms

The car park is ample, and has two entrances but we found the one on the main road more convenient. Though turning across the traffic to go towards bristol at busy times could take longer, so exiting under the archway and going through the traffic lights would be less stressful.

We had a drink in the pub nextdoor, but did not eat there as I had already read the reviews on here and I thought the menu, even for breakfast was too expensive. However, there is a pub down the road (crown carveries - The Masons Arms) that offers a buffet style full english cooked breakfast for £3.29, with toast. My husband is a coeliac and they did not even flinch at being asked to exclude anything with gluten in it from his plate. It was on our route into bristol, and about five minutes away on the Gloucester Road so worked out much more economical to go there for breakfast than eat at the Ship. While I would have found it very convenient to eat at the Ship, we were trying to do the trip on a budget and I could not justify the cost of their breakfast.

The hotel seemed to be the wrong side of town for any park and ride services, but we found Parkway (902) just off junction 18a of the M5. Less stressful than trying to navigate traffic in Bristol which has a one way system like a rats nest!

The hotel was a great base for checking out the area, staff were very good and extremely helpful. We used the aircon as it was a very warm few days, and spent some time on returning to our room trying to establish the source of a smell like burnt feathers whilst I wafted the patio door thinking I was sufferng a menopausal hotflush, only to find that the aircon had been reset into heater mode by the staff who seemed to prefer a more tropical climate! To be fair, I have never known a hotel leave the aircon in the position left by the room occupant but I do wish they would leave it alone.

Overall a good stay. Would stay again.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was an over night stay on our way to Devon and we wished we could have stayed longer as the staff in the inn were so welcoming and helpful the younger members of our group were offered colouring books. the rooms were comfortable and clean and when we requested washing up liquid to wash baby bottles it was quickly brought to or room. Our evening meal at The Ship was also excellent, staff were helpful and considered the age range of our party, fetching the younger ones meals first. Breakfast was very busy but the staff continued to be helpful and we were amazed how quickly 8 correct breakfasts were served. Back in the inn we were told there was no rush to leave the room as baby needed feeding. Thank you for making the start of our holiday so good.

1  Thank Lorraine180
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I was very pleased by this hotel,the rooms were very clean and the beds were very comfortable. The ship next door was very helpful and although I see negative reviews I couldnt fault it one bit!!!Thank you very tempted to re-book!!

Room Tip: sorry no swimming pool gr8 for watching the cricket
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family