All reviews the pub cricket ground balcony overlooking chicken club holiday camp chef and brewer car park first floor reception staff comfortable bed pub next door good nights sleep night's sleep a ground floor room family room evening meal cooked breakfast
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We visited as a family, me, husband and my two teenage daughters. We wanted a city break in Bristol as the uni is on my eldests' shortlist and she wanted to see what Bristol was like. But all of the city hotels were either very expensive or we could nto find one where we could park our car within view of the hotel. This premier inn came up as good value with vacancies for the dates we wanted. We stayed for three nights, sunday til wednesday.

The rooms are clean and spacious. we had a family room, switching the girls to a twin on the second night. The family room had a king size bed, and two singles, one of which was a bit on the short side for an average kid. However, the beds were all comfortable, linen clean and plenty of towels supplied. The bathroom decor was a bit tired, and smelled slightly as if a male had repeatedly missed his aim but otherwise appeared clean. The room was on the ground floor with a balcony/patio overlooking the cricket pitch. One gripe would be a lack of plug sockets and a hairdryer that would have had stiff competition had I enlisted a baby to breathe on my hair!

The location is quiet and we did not experience any noise or disturbance from neighbouring rooms

The car park is ample, and has two entrances but we found the one on the main road more convenient. Though turning across the traffic to go towards bristol at busy times could take longer, so exiting under the archway and going through the traffic lights would be less stressful.

We had a drink in the pub nextdoor, but did not eat there as I had already read the reviews on here and I thought the menu, even for breakfast was too expensive. However, there is a pub down the road (crown carveries - The Masons Arms) that offers a buffet style full english cooked breakfast for £3.29, with toast. My husband is a coeliac and they did not even flinch at being asked to exclude anything with gluten in it from his plate. It was on our route into bristol, and about five minutes away on the Gloucester Road so worked out much more economical to go there for breakfast than eat at the Ship. While I would have found it very convenient to eat at the Ship, we were trying to do the trip on a budget and I could not justify the cost of their breakfast.

The hotel seemed to be the wrong side of town for any park and ride services, but we found Parkway (902) just off junction 18a of the M5. Less stressful than trying to navigate traffic in Bristol which has a one way system like a rats nest!

The hotel was a great base for checking out the area, staff were very good and extremely helpful. We used the aircon as it was a very warm few days, and spent some time on returning to our room trying to establish the source of a smell like burnt feathers whilst I wafted the patio door thinking I was sufferng a menopausal hotflush, only to find that the aircon had been reset into heater mode by the staff who seemed to prefer a more tropical climate! To be fair, I have never known a hotel leave the aircon in the position left by the room occupant but I do wish they would leave it alone.

Overall a good stay. Would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was an over night stay on our way to Devon and we wished we could have stayed longer as the staff in the inn were so welcoming and helpful the younger members of our group were offered colouring books. the rooms were comfortable and clean and when we requested washing up liquid to wash baby bottles it was quickly brought to or room. Our evening meal at The Ship was also excellent, staff were helpful and considered the age range of our party, fetching the younger ones meals first. Breakfast was very busy but the staff continued to be helpful and we were amazed how quickly 8 correct breakfasts were served. Back in the inn we were told there was no rush to leave the room as baby needed feeding. Thank you for making the start of our holiday so good.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lorraine180
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I was very pleased by this hotel,the rooms were very clean and the beds were very comfortable. The ship next door was very helpful and although I see negative reviews I couldnt fault it one bit!!!Thank you very tempted to re-book!!

Room Tip: sorry no swimming pool gr8 for watching the cricket
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Second time I have stayed at the Premier in the last month. I went back as although the building looks a bit dated from the outside, the rooms I have had are satisfactorily "Premier Inn". Best of all, being an older building it is refreshingly not a squeaky timber frame. The result was a good nights sleep without traffic noise or footsteps overhead or in the corridors.

The room was spacious (last visit not quite so), with a door to a balcony area and overlooked a cricket ground. Others have commented about the 1980's TV, and yes it was, but it worked fine. (Nice 42" flat screen on the wall please with all the sky channels next time Mr Premier Inn.).

Now the ship... next to the hotel but not a part. Breakfast was served there and was fine, no complaints; but can you get some egg, sausage and bacon wrong ? Service at breakfast was ok.

Evening service was different. The food was poor, the service was poor - real let down.

Would I stay there again, yes. but I would look to eat outside of the ship in the evening.

Room Tip: Facing the cricket pitch, away from the ship car park
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Whitbread-77, Steven Hicks, Social Media at Premier Inn Bristol (Alveston) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thank you for your review.

We are very pleased that our team at the hotel ensured that you were well looked after. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay, and for this reason your feedback is very much appreciated as we endeavour to improve standards and meet all our customer’s needs.

Thank you also for your comments regarding the Ship Inn next door. We will ensure that your feedback is passed to the company responsible for this establishment.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed at this Hotel for three nights whilst on training with work and as per previous reviews from the outside it looks like a 1960's holiday camp! I had called at 5am on the Morning of my arrival to request a first floor room and gave details to a chap who seemed competent enough called David who assured me he would arrange this for me. On arrival guess what........ David hadn't taken any details and hadn't processed my request so at this point I was not amused. However the lady on reception was very helpful and soon resolved the issue and said she would feed this back to her Manager. On entering the rooms they were clean and tidy however I have to say there is no excuse to have a 1980's tv in the room with tv's priced at an all time low!

When you book into the Premier Inn the breakfast is provided by the restaurant/pub next door called the Ship Inn which I have to say is the worst establishment that serves food/drink I have ever been to and I have stayed at Hotels up & down the UK and all over the world. The service is shocking, the Staff cheeky, the prices are a rip-off and the quality of food served up is terrible. Because I had never been to the area before and wasn't familar with the area I virtually had no choice but to eat here and day by day the service just got even worse

On the first evening I went into the Ship and requested a steak well done (don't bother requesting anything as the Staff never listen!) when it came it had blood running from it, however rather than making a fuss I simply ate it. The quality of the steak was poor and was pretty much fat & grissle. On the first morning at breakfast I requested my sausages well done, yet again they ignored this request and they came out cooked on one side and pink on the other! The mature lady who was supposed to be serving Customers then just stood there as the clearly problematic conveyor toaster set fire to my toast. Anywhere else the Staff would have came over to have a look and try and resolve the situation but not the Staff at this place! Again I said nothing and simply didn't eat the food and went back to my room. On the evening after I'd finished work I again went in for my evening meal thinking to myself "surely it can only get better?" I ordered the Gammon and it came out looking cooked yet when I cut it it was raw in the middle. At this point I'd had enough and advised the Duty Manager who apologised and offered a free drink which I refused and left. The next night I ordered a chicken salad which at £11 wasn't cheap and again the quality was poor to say the least! To sum up how this place really hasn't got a clue, you go out into the garden where they have a smoking area and a non-smoking area whereby in the non-smoking area they have large umbrellas and heaters yet on the smoking side they have small umbrellas and no heaters!!! Hardly fair is it really?! On my final day at breakfast the cheeky mature lady with bobbed hair serving excelled herself! Again just standing there whilst the toaster set on fire she came over and said "oh yes the Manager took the knobs off the toaster so Customers can't adjust the settings!" To which I replied "surely Customers have the right to have toast cooked how they wish?" To which she pulled a face and walked off, which sums up the way they treat Customers as mere cash cows yet not interested in providing a service! The same lady then asked me what I wanted for breakfast and I requested a boiled egg. She said "how would you like it cooked?" I said "Medium" please and guess what when it came it was undercooked and runny!!! The place is run appallingly and you really would get better quality at a Weatherspoons pub. Avoid this place as it's the most souless, badly run, poor quality establishment I have ever been to!

Premier Inn should refuse to take orders for breakfast from Customers until the Ship Inn gets it's act together! I will not stay at this Hotel again due to the service provided by the Ship Inn. Although Premier Inns is a separate Company they still take money from Customers for breakfast at the Ship Inn and plug it's food with flyers in the Hotel Rooms. The Staff at Premier Inn (except David!) are superb and friendly however they are badly let down by the Ship Inn!

Room Tip: Request a higher level floor and not ground floor as the noise from the cricket ground is loud and you could end up with a cricket ball through your window!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Whitbread-77, Social Media at Premier Inn Bristol (Alveston) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Many thanks for your comments.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay, and we do apologise that on this occasion your stay was less than relaxing. Thank you also for your comments regarding the adjoining restaurant.

This is not a Whitbread run establishment, but we will ensure that your feedback is passed to the company responsible for this establishment.

We hope to welcome you back soon.