All reviewsthe pubcricket groundbalcony overlookingchicken clubholiday campchef and brewercar parkfirst floorreception staffcomfortable bedpub next doorgood nights sleepnight's sleepa ground floor roomfamily roomevening mealcooked breakfast
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was an over night stay on our way to Devon and we wished we could have stayed longer as the staff in the inn were so welcoming and helpful the younger members of our group were offered colouring books. the rooms were comfortable and clean and when we requested washing up liquid to wash baby bottles it was quickly brought to or room. Our evening meal at The Ship was also excellent, staff were helpful and considered the age range of our party, fetching the younger ones meals first. Breakfast was very busy but the staff continued to be helpful and we were amazed how quickly 8 correct breakfasts were served. Back in the inn we were told there was no rush to leave the room as baby needed feeding. Thank you for making the start of our holiday so good.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lorraine180
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I was very pleased by this hotel,the rooms were very clean and the beds were very comfortable. The ship next door was very helpful and although I see negative reviews I couldnt fault it one bit!!!Thank you very tempted to re-book!!

Room Tip: sorry no swimming pool gr8 for watching the cricket
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Second time I have stayed at the Premier in the last month. I went back as although the building looks a bit dated from the outside, the rooms I have had are satisfactorily "Premier Inn". Best of all, being an older building it is refreshingly not a squeaky timber frame. The result was a good nights sleep without traffic noise or footsteps overhead or in the corridors.

The room was spacious (last visit not quite so), with a door to a balcony area and overlooked a cricket ground. Others have commented about the 1980's TV, and yes it was, but it worked fine. (Nice 42" flat screen on the wall please with all the sky channels next time Mr Premier Inn.).

Now the ship... next to the hotel but not a part. Breakfast was served there and was fine, no complaints; but can you get some egg, sausage and bacon wrong ? Service at breakfast was ok.

Evening service was different. The food was poor, the service was poor - real let down.

Would I stay there again, yes. but I would look to eat outside of the ship in the evening.

Room Tip: Facing the cricket pitch, away from the ship car park
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Whitbread-77, Steven Hicks, Social Media at Premier Inn Bristol (Alveston) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thank you for your review.

We are very pleased that our team at the hotel ensured that you were well looked after. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay, and for this reason your feedback is very much appreciated as we endeavour to improve standards and meet all our customer’s needs.

Thank you also for your comments regarding the Ship Inn next door. We will ensure that your feedback is passed to the company responsible for this establishment.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed at this Hotel for three nights whilst on training with work and as per previous reviews from the outside it looks like a 1960's holiday camp! I had called at 5am on the Morning of my arrival to request a first floor room and gave details to a chap who seemed competent enough called David who assured me he would arrange this for me. On arrival guess what........ David hadn't taken any details and hadn't processed my request so at this point I was not amused. However the lady on reception was very helpful and soon resolved the issue and said she would feed this back to her Manager. On entering the rooms they were clean and tidy however I have to say there is no excuse to have a 1980's tv in the room with tv's priced at an all time low!

When you book into the Premier Inn the breakfast is provided by the restaurant/pub next door called the Ship Inn which I have to say is the worst establishment that serves food/drink I have ever been to and I have stayed at Hotels up & down the UK and all over the world. The service is shocking, the Staff cheeky, the prices are a rip-off and the quality of food served up is terrible. Because I had never been to the area before and wasn't familar with the area I virtually had no choice but to eat here and day by day the service just got even worse

On the first evening I went into the Ship and requested a steak well done (don't bother requesting anything as the Staff never listen!) when it came it had blood running from it, however rather than making a fuss I simply ate it. The quality of the steak was poor and was pretty much fat & grissle. On the first morning at breakfast I requested my sausages well done, yet again they ignored this request and they came out cooked on one side and pink on the other! The mature lady who was supposed to be serving Customers then just stood there as the clearly problematic conveyor toaster set fire to my toast. Anywhere else the Staff would have came over to have a look and try and resolve the situation but not the Staff at this place! Again I said nothing and simply didn't eat the food and went back to my room. On the evening after I'd finished work I again went in for my evening meal thinking to myself "surely it can only get better?" I ordered the Gammon and it came out looking cooked yet when I cut it it was raw in the middle. At this point I'd had enough and advised the Duty Manager who apologised and offered a free drink which I refused and left. The next night I ordered a chicken salad which at £11 wasn't cheap and again the quality was poor to say the least! To sum up how this place really hasn't got a clue, you go out into the garden where they have a smoking area and a non-smoking area whereby in the non-smoking area they have large umbrellas and heaters yet on the smoking side they have small umbrellas and no heaters!!! Hardly fair is it really?! On my final day at breakfast the cheeky mature lady with bobbed hair serving excelled herself! Again just standing there whilst the toaster set on fire she came over and said "oh yes the Manager took the knobs off the toaster so Customers can't adjust the settings!" To which I replied "surely Customers have the right to have toast cooked how they wish?" To which she pulled a face and walked off, which sums up the way they treat Customers as mere cash cows yet not interested in providing a service! The same lady then asked me what I wanted for breakfast and I requested a boiled egg. She said "how would you like it cooked?" I said "Medium" please and guess what when it came it was undercooked and runny!!! The place is run appallingly and you really would get better quality at a Weatherspoons pub. Avoid this place as it's the most souless, badly run, poor quality establishment I have ever been to!

Premier Inn should refuse to take orders for breakfast from Customers until the Ship Inn gets it's act together! I will not stay at this Hotel again due to the service provided by the Ship Inn. Although Premier Inns is a separate Company they still take money from Customers for breakfast at the Ship Inn and plug it's food with flyers in the Hotel Rooms. The Staff at Premier Inn (except David!) are superb and friendly however they are badly let down by the Ship Inn!

Room Tip: Request a higher level floor and not ground floor as the noise from the cricket ground is loud and you could end up with a cricket ball through your window!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Whitbread-77, Social Media at Premier Inn Bristol (Alveston) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Many thanks for your comments.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay, and we do apologise that on this occasion your stay was less than relaxing. Thank you also for your comments regarding the adjoining restaurant.

This is not a Whitbread run establishment, but we will ensure that your feedback is passed to the company responsible for this establishment.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

My 18yr old daughter and I stayed here in July 2012 - on a visit to see relatives. The location was perfect for us and very easy to find. It has great access to motorway network but in a more rural location. Plenty of parking although access from Thornbury Road side is a bit dodgy as on busy stretch of road and road markings are strange to say the least.

Unusual building and all rooms seem to have the balcony. Does seem a bit dated from outside but they have obviously worked really hard on the inside. It is very clean (and odour free) - as always with Premier Inn -bed was very comfortable and good quality bed linen and pillows. Bathroom was a little neat but again very clean and plenty of hot water.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.
We weren't aware of any noise from within the hotel but on the last night we had a few young men hanging about at the back of the cricket club not far from our room at about midnight. They were only kicking a ball about but kept setting off the security light and because of balcony and the fact that we were on the ground floor - just felt a little vulnerable. The lock on balcony door wasn't engaged either I discovered although their is a chain on it. It was a shame that this happened and left a bit of a shadow on our stay because it is a nice place and good value for money
It is close to main A38 so is some road noise if you have windows opened.

We only had breakfast at the adjacent 'Ship Inn'. First morning was very busy and staff were run off their feet -the next time was very quiet but same number of staff. Food was average but plenty of it and well priced. Not sure why there are 4 hours for breakfast on weekday (7-11) but only 2 at weekend (8-10)?

Would happily recommend this hotel but if staying alone I would ask for first floor room. (maybe thats me just being paranoid!)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sonia H
Premier Inn A, Manager at Premier Inn Bristol (Alveston) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay here at the Alveston Premier Inn. we are glad that you had a good stay with us. Regarding your comments about the Ship Inn your feedback will be passed to them.