“Simple but good”

Boreland Lodge Hotel
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My room was small but clean and functional. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. There were also two lounge areas with tables for eating a TV and a few board games. The only downside was difficulties getting to and from Edinburgh as it was a holiday weekend and the train was not running. If the train is running regularly the hotel is located within easy walking distance.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jtp1255

Reviewed January 22, 2013

The positives of this hotel are that it very handy for the train and the hotel staff are friendly.
I was expecting the room to be small, so the size wasn't a problem. The fact the radiator couldn't be adjusted was not good as there was no heating at all. The lighting is very poor and the cleanliness of the bathroom was terrible. There was mold in the shower which could be sorted with a good clean. No hand towels. When I mentioned how cold the room was on my departure, I was told I could have complained and been moved room. It was 3am in the morning when I woke freezing cold. Would anyone get dressed, hunt for a member of staff, repack bags and move rooms at that time of night? So many of the rooms problems could be sorted by cleaning properly.
If you suffer from asthma or chest problems, do not stay here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Homeandaway_13
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This is not a five star place, and as long as one keeps this in mind there should not be too many problems. Our main problem was with the bed, I am a tall person and it was too short for me.
Some people have complained about the room size, they probably never stayed in a hotel in Luxembourgh. If you are looking for a family hotel with all sorts of entertainment things for the kids, this is not the place. If you are looking for a place to sleep and shower, this works fine. It is small, but has everything one needs (except an alarm clock).
The place is sort of under construction, unfortunately this is done by Polish (?) people who are making things worse... This is a well known issue with these people, they always say yes, and in the end more time and money is needed to fix whatever they wrecked.
Our compliments to Nicole and Damien, both very helpful, friendly and informative.

Room Tip: Bring your own alarm clock.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emee_and_Menno
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

For the money you pay to stay at this place you cannot complain, clean and tidy rooms with tv at reasonable price.dont book expecting 5 star as its not, worth staying at the price you pay and not to far from Edinburgh

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Just come back for a week at the Borelan Lodge, the room I was in was quite, clean with a comfortable bed and ensuite bathroom, room 17. Every thing was OK about about it, what you would expect for the price!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank D0n11
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We both thought this was a fabulous hotel and will definitely be back here! The bedroom was very clean and had great views. The staff were very friendly and gave us good tips on what to see nearby. We only had one meal but that was delicious. Top marks.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jockytimberloch
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I went to this hotel not expecting too much. The reviews seem to say some good and some not so good things about the hotel. I didn't have very high expectations and was happy with the guy working at the reception, but I was left disappointed with the amount of small things that could easily be remedied:

1. The remote for the TV didn't work. In fact, on the back of it, it said it was for a different room.
2. The TV did not receive a signal, which made point 1 not as important. Why have TVs in the rooms, if you're not going to make sure they are watchable?
3. The wifi signal was very weak and the password they gave for the wifi didn't work. Why offer wifi, if it can’t be accessed?
4. The hand towel had crusty stains on them (I took a picture, but will refrain from posting at this time).
5. There was no bath mat, which led to the bathroom floor getting wet. How hard would it be to provide something like this to customers?
6. At breakfast, since there was only a loaf of white bread to choose from, I found an end slice of wheat bread in a bag next to the white bread loaf- it was covered in mould. I was left wondering how long it had to have been sitting there to get mouldy. Why not throw out food regularly?
7. There was no clock or phone in the room, so if someone needed to be somewhere early, they would need to bring their own alarm to ensure they wake up on time.
8. The curtain didn’t completely close, which didn’t affect me much, but would be a problem in the summertime.
9. I could hear snoring from people in another room at night because the walls are very thin (I know, this probably can't be fixed, but it was an issue, regardless).

None of these things, on their own, would bother me. But put together, I was left feeling that the owner doesn't seem to care to put in the small investment to give customers the little things, that make a hotel stay worthwhile.

Before the owner responds by asking why I didn't bring any of this up - I did bring up a couple of these, but I was only there for one night, so I knew they wouldn’t be fixed by the time I left. You can't ask customers who are staying one night to give you a laundry list of problems that probably could easily have been remedied before the customer stepped foot into the hotel.

I can't imagine that fixing these things would cost more than £20-30 per room. For less than £1000, the hotel could fix all of these, which I think is a small price to pay to prevent reviews like this one from showing up on TripAdvisor.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jay S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inverkeithing
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh - Queensferry Crossing
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh -...
#1 of 1 in North Queensferry
Hotel ibis budget Edinburgh Business Park
Travelodge Dunfermline
Travelodge Dunfermline
#6 of 12 in Dunfermline

Been to Boreland Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!