“Fabulous friendly welcome”

The Roods Bed & Breakfast
Carlisle
“Fabulous friendly welcome”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Never before have I been made so welcome. Isobel & Pat treated me like royalty.

The room was extremely comfortable whilst the breakfast was worth the price on its own!

Most definitely will be staying again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Hebrew first
Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Our stay at The Roods was Fabulous!
Isobel went out of her way to make us feel welcome, from the contact e-mail right through our departure.
My husband was in Scotland on business and I wanted a place that had internet for his access, as well as close proximity to the train so that I could easily tour the area if I desired. The Roods satisfied both criteria.

But, I never expected to receive such personal attention!

The room was spacious, offered a great wi-fi connection, and was cozy warm.
The bathroom was ensuite, obviously relatively new, with very hot water in the shower. A hair dryer is provided in each room, as well as an ironing board and iron.

Fluffy towels were set out for each day and included Wash cloths! Something not so common in Europe, but absolutely loved by this American!

The Wi-Fi signal was very strong and we never had any issues with connectivity.

The room included a lovely hospitality tray, complete with biscuits and little chocolates, every day, in addition to a plate of fresh fruit.

Breakfast is chosen from a personal menu the night before. There were so many options, I found it difficult to choose.
We enjoyed fresh fruit salad each morning. My husband chose his usual porridge. I picked continental, which included croissants, cheeses, and many other items if one desired them.
Scones were an added treat as well.
This breakfast extraordinaire was served in a lovely conservatory with a view of the gardens.

The Roods is actually hidden from the road so one feels as if one is actually in the country.
Although it is literally across the street from the Inverkeithing Train Station, we never once heard the train in our room, which was on the back of the house, overlooking the garden.

Although Inverkeithing is lacking in any type of evening meal venues, we were able to easily access the train to various locations for dinner. And Pat drove us to the nearby town to a restaurant for dinner, and we took the train back. We did not want to bother him, but he insisted on driving us.

Pat also made reservations for us in North Queensferry for dinner, dropped us off, and gave us instructions for getting a taxi for the ride back to the Roods. It really doesn't get any better than this.

Book early! With this type of extra special treatment, rooms are sure to be scarce!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank geismom
Portsmouth
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Have stayed in many hotels over the years and this rates as one of the best.

The owners Isobel and Patrick are the most incredible hosts and nothing is too much trouble. They welcome you into their home as if you were family. Our son turned up to visit us a couple of times whilst we were staying at The Roods and he to was welcomed in with opened arms.

The ensuite room was amazing, it was warm, clean, decorated to a high standard and very well equipped.Fresh fruit, tea and coffee facilities, bath robes, trouser press, iron, ironing board. Even an umbrella should you have rain! This has to take some beating.

The breakfast is served in a very pretty conservatory overlooking the garden. The breakfast choice is excellent and it will keep you sustained all day.

The location is superb. Just a stones throw from Inverkeithing train station allowing you access to many different areas of Scotland.Would like to point out we did not hear any train noise throughout our four day stay.

Would definitely recommend and would not hesitate to go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
gainsboro, tn. u.s.a.
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I chose this B&B not knowing anything about it or the owners, only knew i didn't want to stay in a hotel. What I personally came away with was the knowledge that the next time we go to Scotland, we will not stay anywhere else. Patrick and Isobel Marley, the owners, were so very welcoming, thoughtfull, accomodating, and informative, and from the start made us feel like family. the diggs were very comfortable, The Roods itself is located in Inverkeithing, just across the cut from Edinburgh, a short walk to the trains that run everywhere, Inverkeithing itself is a wonderfull little town that was enjoyable. The breakfasts were first rate (finally got some real haggis, not the stuff they allow in the states). Long story short....we now have family in Inverkeithing, Scotland. Isobel & Pat, I recomend the ROODS B&B. Brian & Kelly

Room Tip: it dosen't matter what room you get, the place is pretty quiet when you want to sleep. book a st...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I chose this B & B by the reviews and reccomendations online. I was NOT disappointed!! Isobel is a charming host and makes you feel very welcome. A lovely welcome awaits, with extra touches like a tray of fruit in your room. The breakfast is prepared fresh for every individual each morning, lots of choice and delicious homemade preserves, compotes , fresh fruit salads etc. Nothing is too much trouble for Isobel! It is served in a very pretty conservatory with a delightful outlook onto the pretty garden!! My room was warm, cosy and a delight to relax and sleep well. Isobel's grandchildren were staying the weekend I was there and they were perfect hosts too!! Pat was away from home, so unfortunately I did not get to meet him. But I am hoping to return sometime in the not too distant future and take my sister with me to enjoy it all!!! The final 'special' touch was a little gift on the Table at Breakfast the last day - a Mini Fruit Loaf and a Tea Bag! Something to enjoy and rememeber Isobel when I got home!! Couldn't recommend this place enough!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Stromness, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

From the welcome email to the excellent breakfast this was an excellent experience. I booked on line and got a lovely email welcoming me to Isobel and Pat's home and from there on they couldn't have been more helpful. The bedroom was lovely with a little tray of fruit and a good hospitality tray. The shower room was excellent with a very tasteful array of toiletries and loads of towels.
I arrived quite late and they encouraged me to go and get a takeaway to bring back and eat in the lovely conservatory with all plates etc provided.
Breakfast was fantastic - a huge choice and beautifully served. Especially loved the fruit salad!
I am returning and would advise anyone to go to The Roods!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Bolton
Reviewed October 2, 2012

What a great place! I arrived to a very warm greeting from both Pat and Isobel who were friendly and made me feel at home straight away. My room was beautifully furnished and with everything and more you could possibly need.
I slept wonderfully and was woke up to a 5* breakfast special of smoked salmon with creamy scrambled egg which with out exaggeration could of been straight from a top restaurant.
To top this great stay out the owners of this little gem went above and beyond by giving me a lift the next day to my appointment.
Wonderful people, 5* B&B
I am looking forward to going back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inverkeithing
The Queensferry Hotel
#5 of 12 in Dunfermline
The Woodside Hotel
The Woodside Hotel
#2 of 3 in Aberdour

Been to The Roods Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!