“Great golf course and hotel pity about the inclusive food”

Essex Golf & Country Club
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Earls Colne
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Spent 4 days and 3 nights at the Essex a lovely hotel with a fabulous golf course there were 9 of us and were very disappointed to find we would have to pay an extra £5 each to get a cooked breakfast also the dinner consists of just 2 courses with a choice of just 2 items plus a vegetarian item we were served 1 bowl of vegetables every night to serve 9 people clearly not enough.we chose Cumberland sausages one night which were clearly the same sausages they use for breakfast as they were clearly not quality.the Essex is a great place to stay but the breakfast and dinner are very very disappointing which was such a pity.although I would like to say that the bar menu is much better and far more superior food.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Barrythomsett
TheEssex, Manager at Essex Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Thank you Barry for taking the time to give us this valuable feedback. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the Hotel and The Golf Course.
I appreciate your constructive feedback regarding your menus, and have passed this on to the relevant Staff for discussion.
I do hope you will return for a Golf Break again in the future!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed here for one night as a deal from laterooms.com. We found the hotel was excellent value for money, very quiet and peaceful accommodation in the lodge situated just away from the main reception. The beds were very comfortable and had nice views of the golf course. The hotel also benefited from plentiful free parking. We ate in the hotels bars/restaurant area and found portion sizes to be very generous and very reasonably priced. We opted for continental breakfast and although the food was fresh and well presented, the choice was fairly limited. Hotel guests can also use the gym and swimming pool at no extra cost. All in all, a nice quiet and relaxing over night stay and would defiantly use again when we are in the area.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for this lovely review! I am so pleased you had a great night here at The Essex. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Just back from a golf weekend and overall thought it was good.
Golf Course well designed but a bit bland as very flat as on a former WW2 airfield. Still a airfield next door that does cause destraction on a few holes. Course well maintained but could do with hole plans on each tee.
Bar food was good but food included in package was average. (but you get what you pay for as package was cheap).
Room were warm! and noisy with the windows open but clean and fitted the bill for golf tour.
Also tennis courts a gym and large pool on offer.
All facilities great.
Overall we all had a good time.

Room Tip: Check is your deal includes fullEnglish breakfast!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, I am so pleased you had an enjoyable Golf Break. July was certainly the time to play weather wise! For furture reference, we do have fans available on request from The Reception, which may help on the particularly hot Summer nights. We hope you will return to us again in the future, and look forward to welcoming you!

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Booked the hotel from Laterooms website at £54 a room (room only as we had a 6am- per breakfast start). Set in an affluent and pretty area the hotel is nestled within a golfing complex with an 18 hole course which looked inviting.
The gym facilities were top class, every conceivable piece of equipment, all clean, functional with sky tv and 2 fitness assistants. The pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi were also first rate.
The hotel room was ok, not lavish, but everything you need for a sound nights sleep. Air conditioning wasn't provided, which on a hot night was a shame.
For £54 this was a bargain stay.
Recommended for the business traveller or anyone with an interest in golf/fitness.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for this positive review! We are very grateful to you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Essex Soon!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Thankyou :) having stayed at the hotel for the past 6 weeks, everyone at the hotel has made the place feel like home to me and I am very greatful for that. Firstly to Claire for being a star and sorting out the long stay for me, then to all the pretty girls at reception who are welcoming and lovely to see everytime I have to check in and out and helpful with everything I've ever asked for or needed. The boys in the gym are top quality lads and trainers, and speaking to them and training at the gym is something I will definitely miss.The ladies in housekeeping are genuinely some of the nicest people I've ever met and I'm a fairly grumpy person, and they went beyond their job role in making sure I was as happy as I could be, even sorting me out with a fan in this heatwave. Then the restaurant where I spend most of my time, you've got the girls who are all very pretty and very good at their jobs, and to the boys too, in particular the legend that is Bruce! They are all entertaining characters who work very hard, and have given me great company and banter over the last 6 weeks. The food has been so good I have never had the need to eat anywhere else. Hunters Chicken with curly fries, that is a must if you visit. The place is clean, friendly, and an experience I won't forget. Overall, it has been the best stay in a hotel I could have asked for, and I will miss the place and the Essex family. I would definitely visit again one day in the future. Thanks again Boys and Girls!!

Room Tip: Smile at the reception girls, and they will
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank arivino88

Thank you Ari for this lovely, complinmentary review! You were an absolute pleasure to have as a guest, and we are all disappointed that you won't be returning to stay on November as originally planned. Wishing you a great rest of 2013! The Essex Hotel and Reception Team!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

What a fabulous weekend retreat.Its great to escape to the wonderful Spa at this Hotel.
Having read some reviews after booking we were slightly worried.However justice prevails....WE LOVED IT!!!!
From the moment we arrived we were greeted by a charming member of staff,Charlotte I believe is the ladies name.Charlotte was professional,courteous and charming giving us as much information as we needed about the facilities.We used everything that we wanted to our hearts content.The spa is better than many 4 or 5 star properties that we have stayed in.An excellent sized pool,spa,jacuzzi and steam room.
We didn't eat our evening meal at the hotel so we can't pass comment but the breakfast was absolutely fine and served by a friendly and very pleasant gentleman.
At check out another receptionist took care of the procedure and this young lady was extremely pleasant friendly and offered a big smile when asking if everything was OK.
We couldn't fault anything and only praise this hotel.The price was excellent and the rooms were fine,as we only slept in them
watched tv and made tea and coffee.Absolutely top marks for a top place with an excellent price.
WE MUST RETURN FOR ANOTHER CHILL OUT.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Gazza87
TheEssex, Manager at Essex Golf & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you so much for this glowing review! I am so pleased that you had such an enjoyable and relaxing stay. I have passed on your feedback to Charlotte who was very happy about her mention! We hope you will think of us again next time you need a relaxing get away!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We are 'Regulars' at The Essex, and have used all of the facilities over the years.
The staff are very friendly and welcoming, particularly in the Gym and Golfing areas.
We have had a function here, and that also was very good, well-organised and ran on rails.
Now for the bad news!
The Brasserie/Bar is very often understaffed, with youngsters who don't have a clue, and whilst they are pleasant, they are not particularly effective.
On our last visit, we had to wait 40 minutes for bar snacks. I politely requested that they chase up our order, but even this made no difference.
I then asked to speak to the Manager, and they had to send down for the Duty Manager, who knew nothing of the situation. I requested a refund on my card, as I had an appointment and couldn't stay for the food.. They then had to do another one with another customer for the same reason! This really is Not good enough! Apart from the Duty Manager, who promised to pass on my complaint, nobody apologised, or offered us incentives to put things right. The barmaid just said ' I'm on my own here' yes, we realised that, but it really was not our problem!. It is such a shame, as the staff are nice and they try hard to help.
The Restaurant is the biggest problem; they just can't cope when it is busy. Please do something about it, or you will lose lots of loyal clients.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gymbunny730

Thank you for the feedback following your stay earlier this month. I am glad you have had previously positive experiences here at The Essex, and appreciate you taking the time to raise your constructive concerns from your last visit.
Please be assured that this has been discussed with the Food and Beverage Manager. We do hope you will return to us in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Earls Colne
Holiday Inn Express Braintree
Prested Hall Hotel
Prested Hall Hotel
#1 of 3 in Feering

Been to Essex Golf & Country Club? Share your experiences!