“Our love affair with the Fergie has ended”

Ferguson Fawsitt Arms
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Walkington
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Northants, England
“Our love affair with the Fergie has ended”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Since our daughter went up to Hull University almost 20 years ago the Fergie has been our favourite place for Sunday lunch when visiting for the weekend. We started going there when her friends told us about a place where the puddings were so good they sometimes just went for the puddings.
The Fergie has changed hands.
Last time we went we noticed subtle differences straight away, and this time we decided that what made The Fergie The Fergie had gone.
They have reduced the selection of dishes available at lunchtime, and also the meat selection. The turkey used to be carved from the bone, but this time it was in a net and my daughter had to ask what the meat was. There was lamb, beef, pork and the turkey, but not the gammon which was always a favourite. In the old days there was usually a bit too much meat on the plate. This time I got two slices of beef and my daughter had one slice of pork and one of turkey. The veg selection was OK, and there was precisely one ladle of gravy, which considering the size of the Yorkshire pudding wasn't quite enough. It looks as though they have increased the size of the Yorkshire pudding and decreased the meat portions, which would mean you have a full plate but it costs less to produce.
The beef was tough (first time ever at the Fergie) although the pork and turkey were OK. The Yorkshire pud was quite dry and both of us left quite a bit of it.
There was a man hovering asking if everything was OK, but he didn't actually wait for an answer.
We left our plates on the table and went in search of pudding. Again, a reduced selection, and no cheesecake (a favourite). It can't have run out as we were early. We chose lemon meringue pie and raspberry gratin.
Our plates hadn't been cleared when we returned although the man had been in and out of the room, so we put them on another table to make room. Never had to do that before.
The raspberry pudding used to have a lovely crunchy topping, but not this time. It tasted OK, but just not quite as good as it used to be. The lemon meringue pie had a pastry base that was like cardboard and a very thin layer of lemon topped by a huge layer of meringue. It should have been described as meringue pie, as the lemon wasn't really evident.
The girl who served us with the puddings and took our money was very cheerful and polite, so there were good points.
We also noticed how empty the car park was when we left, so maybe we aren't the only ones to feel a sense of disappointment.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank agentgibbs

Cottingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice meal”
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Went there midweek. The choice of meats was very limited, only beef and pork available. There were other choices; fish, vegetarian and chilli. Vegetable accompaniments were varied. Sunday lunch carries a wider selection. The meal was good. The place was clean. The staff were friendly. Only one handicap parking spot in operation. Main car park at rear on two levels. Plenty of seated areas but on two levels with stairs between.

Visited July 2014
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

You cannot call this a carvery as you cannot serve yourself. First and last time. The meat was dry, stuffing was like paste (obviously it had not been coked in the oven as it was served with an ice cream scoop), yorkshire puddings were nice and big but tastless. Will not be returning.

Visited July 2014
5 Thank Newbys2014
“Really disappointing customer service”
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

My family and I have been coming every Sunday for at least 5 years. Upon checking my bank statement I noticed that I'd been charged twice for our meals. I rang and spoke to John who was really lovely and assured me it would be put right upon my next visit and that they'd more than make up for it with a few extras. Upon arrival I spoke to a male member of the front of house staff and he instantly credited our tab with £17.90 and he told me that we would have to pay the difference...okay then I thought, so there are no extras as promised, we are obviously going to have to pay the extra shrapnel for an extra yorkshire pud or a glass of lime and soda! My husband purchased two lunches and was hit with a bill for £31 (we were being charged for 3 meals) and after explaining again the bill went down to £8 which was for 4 cordials, again my husband refused until he settled up at around £4. The place was empty so I really don't know how mistakes like this can be made. It was bad enough being charged twice in the first place.

I'm really disappointed and feel like nothing was put right in a way.

3 Thank Darkle
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent value and good food ”
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

We were visiting for a family wedding. We ate from the carvery last Wednesday and it was excellent (turkey and ham pie was to die for, the steak pie was exactly what it was-steak, gravy, no onions!). We went back for breakfast on Saturday and it too was excellent. We had a great waiter who even gave some of the family a lift home when they couldn't get a cab-the best service ever! Highly recommended.

1 Thank keyora