“Very disappointed ”
Review of Peel & Ash

Peel & Ash
Ranked #8 of 29 Restaurants in Howden
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We have eaten here quite a few times and been very happy with the service and food but tonight we can say we have been very disappointed. The pizza was very bland and the skin on chips we thought was frozen ones. We both felt this tonight and I don’t think we will return

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (71)

Reviewed September 6, 2019

I was recommenced to come here by several people and I’m glad I did!
First of all the lady who greeted us so so very friendly! She told me we could sit upstairs or wait until a table became available but I was very happy to be up there as my daughter Was absolutely full of excitement, me and my sister both ordered a starter. I had the mixed olives and homemade cranberry, pumpkin and sunflower bread... it was absolutely massive and only £4!! My sister had the garlic bread which again was enormous. Unfortunately we outfaced ourselves with starters so when the mains came we asked to take what we were unable to eat home. The young waitress was ever so attentive and came straight back with 2 boxes. I had ordered the special feta cheese, spinach and sun dried tomatoes pizza. My daughter had the children’s special, drink, a pizza and it stated ‘one scoop of ice cream’ if that is one scoop I’d love to find out what I’d get if I asked for small wine lol. The children’s deal was £5!
Lovely decor, fantastic waitresses and very well priced!
When I go again I will definitely share a starter!

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed August 30, 2019 via mobile

Love this place! Great food - the best pizza we have had in the UK, cooked in a proper pizza oven! Always busy which gives is a great atmosphere, but service is good - got it just right.

Reviewed August 29, 2019

Our party of four visited o a Wednesday night. Two of us arrived at 6.25 and there was no table available which we were not surprised about. We were told to go to the wine bar next door but one and have a drink, they would phone us. We had to wait at the restaurant for a few minutes until our two friends arrived and while there a party of 5 arrived who were put on the list after us and told to go for a drink also. We did as asked and by about 7.30 were still sat in the wine bar. I went back to the restaurant to check and was told to go and have another drink but the table wouldn't be long! I noticed the family of 5 who came in after us had been seated which was rather annoying. We didn't want another drink either. After a while we were fed up of sitting in the wine bar so decided to go stand and wait in Peel and Ash. It was still very busy. We stood there for about 15 minutes and were then sent to a table upstairs. Our order for drinks and food was taken after a while. The drinks took quite a while to come and the food took a bit longer so it was about 8.30 by the time we got our dinner after a 6.25 arrival. We were a bit peed off. Granted they were very busy so perhaps they need to take reservations then it's a better experience for the customer. On two occasions drinks were just plonked down by the waitress as she passed without comment. Having said all that the food was absolutely delicious, the surroundings were nice but the toilet washbasin was awash. The staff were really lovely and pleasant once things started to calm down. However I don't think we will be back in the light of the two hour wait and the other party being seated in front of us.

1  Thank Selebian
Reviewed August 18, 2019 via mobile

Four of us enjoyed visiting this artisan pizza restaurant last night. The place was very busy but the service was good and friendly. We all enjoyed our very generously sized pizza which were freshly prepared with some imaginative choices on the menu.
The dining room was very busy and so very warm indeed. The old building also means that toilets are some distance away up stairs so don't leave it to the last moment to decide to go looking for the loos.

Date of visit: August 2019

Been to Peel & Ash? Share your experiences!