“Quality meal!”
Review of Ken Bridge Hotel

Ken Bridge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Galloway
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Stopped in on Sunday on way back from Wales as we were only 20 miles from home and would save cooking after a long drive. We were 15 mins early as they did not start cooking till 5.30pm. First beer I asked for was off and had to take second choice.
I had steak pie and wife had roast beef dinner - both of which were excellent hearty and tasty dishes. We also had lovely sweets.... the fresh fruit pavlova would have fed two. Really good and will be back.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank daviepate

Reviewed September 22, 2012

The best carvery lunch in SW Scotland I reckon, and I've tried a few.

I love roast dinners and you can tell from mine-host Davie Pattersons build that he does too! Never trust a skinny chef!

Fab portions, help yourself to the trimmings. The kids is extra good value since my 6 and 5 year olds can eat a roast dinner like grown ups.

Lovely place, great food, fab host and service, good proper beer, friendly, open fires. Look, just go!! Better book for Sunday though, it's very popular.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mrdmartin1969
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

We camped at the Ken Bridge for 2 nights and would recommend it to anyone. Really is a fantastic site in a beautiful setting and right next to a pub! Brilliant!
Firstly the staff, very friendly and helpful!
The site itself, very pleasant, tidy and well maintained.
The location, right on the water of Ken... My boyfriend was devastated he hadn't packed any fishing gear as fishing on the bank is included with the cost of camping. A short drive to castle douglas and lots of lovely walking routes. We took a trek up to the Red Kite viewing platform only to discover on returning the to site that the kites had been flying over head there all day... Typical!!
The site facilities, adequate for the small site and kept clean and tidy.
Overall we were incredibly happy with our stay here and will be stopping again should we find ourselves up that way.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 25, 2012

The welcome was very friendly - the rooms very comfortable with really good en-suite facilities. I had trouble with my knee and was allowed to use a bath - heaven for anyone doing the Southern Upland Way! Our room overlooked the river which was hypnotic! We stayed two nights and both evenings we ate in the restaurant and had delicious meals in fact the standard of everything was excellent! There is a very comfortable residents lounge - which we didn't use as we were drawn to the friendly ambiance of the bar which stocked a great selections of whiskey! I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Any of them
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed on campsite on way to a local event. The site is a hidden gem , well manicured on the Banks of the River Ken . We were offered and accepted an invite for free fishing . I usually carry a telescopic rod in my boot anyway. (Lost a good size pike due to poor quality imported Lure !). The site and hotel were unusually quiet for the time of year,an obvious sign of the times. The owners were very friendly,sociable and jacks of all trades ! The food was great and the steak and ale pie deserves a special mention. Hope to return with family next time .

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Billyv119
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I and a group of friends make an annual pilgrimage to the golf courses of Dumfries and have always stayed at the Ken Bridge. We cannot praise this hostelry too highly. Being located 300 miles to the South in Sassenachland we have sometimes debated whether we should go somewhere local instead, but always come to the same conclusion that nowhere else is likely to live up to the Ken Bridge standards.

Dave and Sue are always so friendly and welcoming: the bar with its selection of real ales and whiskies is superb, and we cannot compliment the food highly enough. The Full Scottish is a great start to the day, and the dinner menu is superb. Just a shame about the golf in between. Be sure not to miss the Cullen Skank if it's on the special board (hint hint).

I am surprised at one reviewer's comments about the rooms being basic. They are bright and airy, always spotlessly clean and much better since the upgrade to Freeview TV. I have no hesitation is recommending this little gem of a hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank GolfBoy28
Reviewed June 28, 2012

The setting for this little hotel is just great, right on the river. The staff are really lovely and welcoming and the food is good - better than average pub grub.

There are a selection of rooms and some are nicer than others but all of them are good rooms (I've stayed here a lot with work) ask for the river view and you won't be disappointed.

Although my trips here have been for work it's the type of place I would come with my partner for a little country break.

Room Tip: Ask for river view for best room - it's just been modernised Room one has best internet signal
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
#1 of 4 in Kirkcudbright
Bruce Hotel
Bruce Hotel
#3 of 5 in Newton Stewart

Been to Ken Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!