“I will be staying somewhere else next time”

Best Western Passage House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kingsteignton
Launceston, United Kingdom
“I will be staying somewhere else next time”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

The rooms look tired in the main hotel complex. Mine overlooked the car park and was adjacent to the stairs which had a squeaky door and the soft stop was not working well. I was awake until after midnight with people returning to their rooms and then woken at 05:30 when people started to leave again. A group of lads happily chatted outside my room (top of the stairs, first room by the squeaky door) before heading off. The bathroom in my room looked very dated and needed a better clean. The one redeeming factor for Passage House is that all the staff I dealt with there were charming. Next time I visit Newton Abbot I will be trying the new Premier Inn which I saw in town opposite the Tesco store.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank CornishJanner
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay with us here. Did you notify a member of our team to inform them that you were not happy?

I do hope that we can welcome you back again soon so that we can provide you with the superior service we aim to achieve.

Carley Warren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We have used this hotel many times for both business and pleasure, superb location, good clean hotel, very good value for money, but there is a unique difference with this hotel............THE STAFF, when you enter the hotel you are greeted by Kate on reception, she is extremely friendly and efficient, really make us feel at home and very welcome, Kate will then check with you to make sure our room is fine. Over the years we have stayed in many UK hotels but this is the one we return to. Thanks Kate.

Room Tip: very quiet rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review.

Kate was thrilled to hear she helped make your stay more enjoyable!

Look forward to seeing you again

Ashburton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Service excellent and surroundings were good with fabulous views. Food well presented and enjoyable. Price structure was also good.Health club and spa facilities with beauty treatments offered. Parking plentiful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Maureen R
Thank you for your review.

I am so glad to see that you enjoyed your visit.

Hope to see you again soon

Kind regards

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

First impression's were good. 2 night stay on the 30.05.14, celebrating my wife's b'day. I paid a extra £100.00 for a up-grade ( room 303,) bitterly disappointed, lovely view's of the estuary etc BUT the bathroom had a corner bath which was really small, TOO SMALL, no-way to lie in, basically had to have a stand up bath and rinse off with shower, the room itself was ok BUT you could literally hear the tea being stirred etc from the room next door, the wall's are wafer thin, I did complain and was given a £30.00 back, had I seen the room before ( phone booking,) I would not have even paid £50.00. The hotel has a restaurant on,which we booked for our 1'st night, my fish order was definatley under cooked, 1 mouthful confirmed this, having complained, on my fresh plate being served, the message from the chef via the waitress, was the fish was cooked, I must be wrong, no apologie's or anything. This has never happened to me on any of my travel's, I did inform the waitress to ask the chef to appear, for which he\ she never did. The overall set up of the hotel is good, good breakfast, good friendly staff BUT the table's are really small, I should add at this point I'm approx. 5' 7, average build, in other word's, I don't hardly take any space up at all. I'm fairly disappointed overall with my stay, as is my wife, we had a lovely time during our stay, looking around Torquay and the surrounding area's, but as far as the Passage House hotel goes, I have to say, to date it is the WORST hotel I have been to yet. This is my own personnel view, should we visit the area again, we'll be staying somewhere else. I'll give credit where it's due, don't get me wrong, the staff are friendly, the room's are clean, the breakfast is nice, but in my opinion that's it.

Room Tip: avoid 303 !!!!, I would imagine ALL the room's have wafer thin wall's
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank paul m
I am sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your stay with us.

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your bedroom, on arrival into your room once you decided you didn't like the room if you had advised a member of our team, we could have rectified the problem for you.

The Chef was unable to leave the kitchen as it was in the middle of a busy service, and unfortunately once service had finished you had left the restaurant.

If you would like to discuss your stay further please do not hesitate in contacting me directly on 07725481518

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Rooms: basic and clean, but there was no information pack in the room: after unpacking for a 3 night stay I decided to try the wifi connection, but there was nothing in the room to tell me how, and the only information reception had given he was about breakfast timings and location. So, I thought I'd ring reception to ask (we were in north lodge, a bit of a trek from reception, so didn't fancy going). Unfortunately, no information pack, and nothing on the phone, so nothing to say what number to dial for reception. I guessed correctly (0), explained the situation and was given the various login details. I explained it was more than just the wifi and that there was no hotel info in the room, and was told then would let housekeeping know. Came back to room following day after room made up: no pack. So I then had to ask reception about the pool times, saying that there was no information in the room, and got a very abrupt response and told the times. How hard would if be to put a pack / sheet of A4 in the room with key info on it? An irritating niggle, not helped by lack of response.

The food was ok, given that we were with a group with a negotiated package, and the restaurant/bar staff were friendly and did their best. However, how can 3 staff cover the bar and serve around 140 covers in a restaurant for a 3 course meal, when they have all been seated at the same time? Our group were told to be seated at 7.30, starters came out at around 8pm, main course at 8.45, and dessert around 9.30. I feel sorry for the poor folk not with a group who were trying to get service too! The staff practically ran from start to finish, and kept smiles on their faces, but couldn't do the impossible! Things were no better for breakfast or dinner on other days.

So, mixed feelings: a reasonable 'deal' but dreadful staffing levels and the irritation of no information in the rooms about the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for your review.

In each of our bedrooms we have a guest directory that includes everything about the hotel and what we have to offer - I will ask our house keeping manager to double check each room to ensure there is one in each room.

I will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team.

Redditch
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We recently visited this hotel with an Amazon deal, when we arrived we were given a key to our room, after reading recent reviews we were a little worried about the mattress, we tested it and it was a little hard, because I have had hip replacements I struggle a little so we went and told receptionist and she took us to another room which was much better, she was very efficient but a smile or eye contact a bit of warmth would be nice, she was, I think eastern european and quite abrupt, she is the first contact with the hotel so needs to be a little bit more welcoming. Apart from the abrupt start the rest of our stay was perfect, all the rest of the staff we came in contact with were fantastic so helpful and pleasant, the young man in the Dining Room on the evening was brilliant as were all of the Dining Room staff. We also dealt with another Receptionist with long dark hair who was extremely helpful and very cheerful. Even the cleaning staff we met along the corridors were lovely chatty and polite, well done for your staff trainer fantastic job (apart from one). Our room was really good, exceptionally clean and spacious. All the food we had was wonderful, the menu of an evening was brilliant and the food was too, the breakfast was plentiful, and served hot and cooked well. My husband used the leisure facilities and he said they were excellent too, and again very nice staff. The views from the conservatory, over the estuary were magnificent and watching the little rabbits play outside the window was lovely. In all our stay here was excellent, we would not hesitate to go back again, infact we will definately go back, well done was a fantastic place.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JudySunTraveller
Thank you very much for your review.

I hope we can welcome you back soon

Carley Warren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingsteignton
Cockhaven Arms
#1 of 1 in Shaldon
Bovey Castle Hotel
Bovey Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Bovey

Been to Best Western Passage House Hotel? Share your experiences!