“Excellent Value - free!”

Best Western Passage House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kingsteignton
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I love the view
I love the pool
The service has improved enormously
The rooms are good enough
The towels and Plastic Dove Soap cheapen it.
Man behind counter in the leisure area was risible. His copy of The Sun (or similar) was more interesting than us and he knew nothing!
We will return - but not sure if it's really worth the money.

• Stayed: February 2013
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

First and foremost thank you for your review.

I have passed on your feedback to our leisure club manager, who is in the process of investigating your experience, to ensure that a situation like yours doesn't happen again

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just returned from a lovely stay at Passage House. Had a two night stay using a groupon voucher and the value for money was brilliant. Had dinner in the restaurant on the first night and the seafood pasta dish was the best I have ever had. We stayed in the North Lodge and rooms were very clean. Staff polite and helpful.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alison B
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you for your review.

I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the hotel, and I do hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

For a 3* it a very good hotel. Clean, slightly dated(mainly bathrooms and ceilings) but for the price it is excellent!

We had room with double, single and z bed for 2 adults and 2 kids. The food exceeded expectations. 1st night we ate in hotel restaurant, then second at the onsite pub. Both very good.

Pool was lovely, perhaps needing new filters as some fine debris in water. But some guests who clearly not used to hotel pools and clubs did not shower before getting into pool????

Service all round good.

We normally expect little from 3* hotels and mainly use them for just a bed, but I enjoyed our stay here and would return in summer months to enjoy beaches and castles.

Good value for money.

Room Tip: Estuary view, even though we didn't have one we wished we did.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am really happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the other members of the team.

I do hope that we get to welcome you back to the hotel again soon

Reviewed February 11, 2013

The estuary view room with balcony was lovely,big,clean and contained everything you would expect. The main areas of the hotel are clean and tidy but no automatic doors at entrance so you have to struggle through two sets of heavy doors. The main area seemed an odd layout,it didn't really encourage us to spend much time there,the seating areas are mixed with laid tables. The bar is poorly stocked with only one bitter and one lager on pumps,we were also charged £1 more for two drinks on a Saturday than we were for the same drinks on the Friday! The swimming pool was cold,there is a sauna and steam room in both the male and female changing room so we didn't use them as the whole point of this time away was to spend time with my husband not be in separate areas. A £1 charge was made for a towel,I've never had to pay for a towel before and you had to get them from the main reception. Breakfast wasn't great,my cooked breakfast was brought out before I'd even finished my cereal and it wasn't terribly appealing as I like my sausages to look like they have been cooked and not anaemia the plates were boiling the food on them however was not. Felt a bit rushed. We have had a better breakfast at a much cheaper holiday inn. All the hotel staff were very helpful,polite and do a great job. The staff and the location of the hotel are definitely it's best assets and because of this we would probably return but on a room only basis as the beefeater down the road does a great breakfast.

Room Tip: Definitely have a room with an estuary view and balcony,well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the rest of the team.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed 3 nights from 4th February on business

Starting with the positive points - all areas of the hotel were very clean and the staff were very helpful whenever there was an issue and both checking in and out was quick and hassle free. The bedroom had a double and single bed and was relatively comfortable.The gym is small but has some good equipment. I didn't have time to use the pool but it certainly looked good.

On the negative side - the hotel is very poorly signposted from the main road (tip - you need to put Hackney Lane into your sat nav because the post code alone doesn't take you there). Having said the room was good but sadly the same can't be said for the bathroom - there was a fixed head shower so I had to crouch down to wash my hair. My two colleagues had exactly the same in their rooms.

Now my pet hate - prices of drinks. There is no justification for charging £9 for a pint of bitter and a glass of house wine (not surprisingly there were very few people in the bar). There is a very nice welcoming pub only 75 metres away where you can buy drinks at normal pub prices and they have a good menu at reasonable prices

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank andrew_wyrobek
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

First and foremost thank you for your review.

I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the rest of the team members.

I do hope that we get to welcome you back to the hotel again

Kindest Regards

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Just spent 2 nights here on a group on deal. Finding the hotel was had as it is located at the end of an obscured lane which took us a while to find in the dark! We arrived also during a power cut and had to wait for about 1.5 hours to get into our room. Not their fault but we weren't even offered a free drink while we waited! The room was a good size and the view over the riverside was beautiful. Room was very hot but we opened window and turned off the heating which was fine. We went down to breakfast and were greeted with a slightly grumpy waitress who huffed and puffed while flicking crumbs off a table so we could use it! The table linen was stained so obviously already been used that morning. The hot food was OK but yogurts were not kept cold so I didn't fancy a warm one, they also didn't have decaf tea.

We had dinner included so we had a wonderful 3 course meal served by 2 lovely hard working waitresses. The highlight of our stay! Breakfast on the 2nd day was very similar to the first. On the whole, the hotel had good and bad points that would dissuade me from going back.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

First and foremost thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay.

Please can I ask you to contact me on 01626355515 to discuss your experience further?

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed in this hotel from 29 January for four nights using Groupon voucher for two nights. We paid to upgrade our rooms to an estuary view and were glad we did as we could watch the wildlife....just a shame we also saw two men with guns arrive at dusk who we saw shoot a goose one evening and sent their dog into the water to retrieve it....it didn't die immediately in spite of several shots so was a bit distressing to see.
Our room was spacious and comfortable and it seemed it had been refurbished fairly recently as we had an updated bathroom...it would have been nice to have larger bath towels (i.e bath sheets) as ours were rather small and quite thin...needed replacing really!
The staff we met were very pleasant and polite....we were disappointed that the steaks in the restaurant were quite tough..we were in a group of four adults and two small children for that meal and we all felt the same. We felt the portion of mixed vegetables for four of us was rather small, however the starters and puddings were fine. Breakfast was also fine with a good selection of cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, etc. and cooked food to order. We ate all other meals in the pub across the car park which we were very happy with....in fact their portion sizes are huge!!
We would be quite happy to stay here again as the hotel is well positioned for Exeter and Torquay and surrounding area.

Room Tip: We were in Room 219 and were quite happy with it....the only noise was on the last night when more v...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback.

I would like to ask you to contact me with regards to your experience with regards to the shooting? As we are unaware of this and would like to investigate this further?

Did you advise the Housekeeping department or Reception team you were unhappy with the towels as they would have been happy to change these for you.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

I will look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience. My contact number is 07725481518

Kindest Regards

Carley Warren

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingsteignton
Cockhaven Arms
5 mi away
Travelodge Torquay
Travelodge Torquay
#28 of 85 in Torquay

Been to Best Western Passage House Hotel? Share your experiences!