“A nice hotel but the bathrooms need attention”

Best Western Passage House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kingsteignton
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed 3 nights from 4th February on business

Starting with the positive points - all areas of the hotel were very clean and the staff were very helpful whenever there was an issue and both checking in and out was quick and hassle free. The bedroom had a double and single bed and was relatively comfortable.The gym is small but has some good equipment. I didn't have time to use the pool but it certainly looked good.

On the negative side - the hotel is very poorly signposted from the main road (tip - you need to put Hackney Lane into your sat nav because the post code alone doesn't take you there). Having said the room was good but sadly the same can't be said for the bathroom - there was a fixed head shower so I had to crouch down to wash my hair. My two colleagues had exactly the same in their rooms.

Now my pet hate - prices of drinks. There is no justification for charging £9 for a pint of bitter and a glass of house wine (not surprisingly there were very few people in the bar). There is a very nice welcoming pub only 75 metres away where you can buy drinks at normal pub prices and they have a good menu at reasonable prices

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank andrew_wyrobek
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

First and foremost thank you for your review.

I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the rest of the team members.

I do hope that we get to welcome you back to the hotel again

Kindest Regards

There are newer reviews for Best Western Passage House Hotel

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Just spent 2 nights here on a group on deal. Finding the hotel was had as it is located at the end of an obscured lane which took us a while to find in the dark! We arrived also during a power cut and had to wait for about 1.5 hours to get into our room. Not their fault but we weren't even offered a free drink while we waited! The room was a good size and the view over the riverside was beautiful. Room was very hot but we opened window and turned off the heating which was fine. We went down to breakfast and were greeted with a slightly grumpy waitress who huffed and puffed while flicking crumbs off a table so we could use it! The table linen was stained so obviously already been used that morning. The hot food was OK but yogurts were not kept cold so I didn't fancy a warm one, they also didn't have decaf tea.

We had dinner included so we had a wonderful 3 course meal served by 2 lovely hard working waitresses. The highlight of our stay! Breakfast on the 2nd day was very similar to the first. On the whole, the hotel had good and bad points that would dissuade me from going back.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

First and foremost thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay.

Please can I ask you to contact me on 01626355515 to discuss your experience further?

Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed in this hotel from 29 January for four nights using Groupon voucher for two nights. We paid to upgrade our rooms to an estuary view and were glad we did as we could watch the wildlife....just a shame we also saw two men with guns arrive at dusk who we saw shoot a goose one evening and sent their dog into the water to retrieve it....it didn't die immediately in spite of several shots so was a bit distressing to see.
Our room was spacious and comfortable and it seemed it had been refurbished fairly recently as we had an updated bathroom...it would have been nice to have larger bath towels (i.e bath sheets) as ours were rather small and quite thin...needed replacing really!
The staff we met were very pleasant and polite....we were disappointed that the steaks in the restaurant were quite tough..we were in a group of four adults and two small children for that meal and we all felt the same. We felt the portion of mixed vegetables for four of us was rather small, however the starters and puddings were fine. Breakfast was also fine with a good selection of cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, etc. and cooked food to order. We ate all other meals in the pub across the car park which we were very happy with....in fact their portion sizes are huge!!
We would be quite happy to stay here again as the hotel is well positioned for Exeter and Torquay and surrounding area.

Room Tip: We were in Room 219 and were quite happy with it....the only noise was on the last night when more v...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

I would like to ask you to contact me with regards to your experience with regards to the shooting? As we are unaware of this and would like to investigate this further?

Did you advise the Housekeeping department or Reception team you were unhappy with the towels as they would have been happy to change these for you.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

I will look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience. My contact number is 07725481518

Kindest Regards

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Nice spacious rooms, clean, bathroom suite pale grey ! but hey makes a change from white - food here is really good and service is great.
Loads of parking - close to town only a short walk.
All the staff that i came across were lovely and couldn't do enough to help.
Haven't got anything negative to say

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you taking the time to write your review.

I will look forward to sharing your feedback to the other members of the team.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I travel on business, and therefore find it difficult to comment on value. This hotel would seem to be a bit on the expensive side and my employers tend not to use it unless cheaper alternatives are not available. Only the user can comment on VFM.

FAME - everyone locally knows the place - which is quite good because it is tucked away a bit down an obscurish access lane in a little hamlet. Satnav found it OK though.

LOCATION - superb location for a business traveller. Located just off easily accessed main roads.
Its location also means that its nice and quiet and the sleep quality is superb.
Knockout views by the riverside!!!
ROOMS - Good for the business traveller. Modern, clean, functional. I like it.
The hotel is really in three parts. Rooms are in a main block, and an annexe. There is also a separate pub on the site. I liked the pub, and thoroughly enjoyed sitting outside with a drink and watching the waterside view.
Would I use the place again? Certainly! I loved it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ravenser

Thank you for your review.

I am really pleased to see that you enjoy your stay with us at the hotel.

Please can I ask you to contact me with regards to yours and your company's accommodation requirements in the area? My number is 07725481518.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Booked this hotel for a treat for my husband's 30th birthday. Generally very impressed especially with the staff on reception who spent some time trying to fit me in on a heavily booked weekend, printed out my voucher for me when my printer failed and were very friendly throughout - lending packs of cards, pencils and recommending local walks.
I don't really want to complain as we had such a fantastic deal but there are a few areas where I think it could very easily be made better. Other than the staff who are very friendly, the hotel feels quite characterless - there is no local information in the rooms or main hotel other than a computer screen, there's also no newspapers in the lounge or playing cards etc.
Ther meal was fantastic value and the mussels superb but we both found our steak extremely bland and the sticky toffee pudding was cold and tasted very synthetic. At breakfast, the selection was generally good except for the fruit bowl which contained some extremely shrivelled apples and a couple of oranges (some fresher apples were put out on the 2nd day and I managed to grab the last banana).
I didn't get much sleep at all due to waking up every hour with the noise of the heater turning on and off but I'm a light sleeper so I'm probly being fussy there.
None of the above should detract from the fact that the location was superb, lovely spacious rooms, beautiful views and fantastic staff.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

First and foremost Happy 30th Birthday to your husband from us all at the BEST WESTERN Passage House Hotel.

Thank you for your review, I will be sure to pass on your feedback to the other members of the team.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Me and my wife to be used a Groupon voucher for our stay at the hotel from the 1st til the 3rd February, and were pleasantly surprised with the stay we had. The room was clean and of a good size, overlooking the river and surrounding areas, staff were friendly and attentive, and the leisure facilities were nice, if a little dated. The restaurant was probably the biggest plus point of the hotel however; we were entitled to a free evening meal due to the package we were on, and expected a one, maybe two course meal, however we received a three course meal including steaks! Bargain! There was also plenty of car parking, breakfast was good, and the hotel is near many attractions. A really good getaway, and we'd definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LukeGB034

Thank you for your review.

I am so glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the BEST WESTERN Passage House Hotel.

I hope that we get to welcome you back again soon

Carley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingsteignton
Cliffden Hotel
Devoncourt Resort & Apartments
The Grand Hotel
The Grand Hotel
#32 of 87 in Torquay

Been to Best Western Passage House Hotel? Share your experiences!