“Could not be faulted”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kingsteignton
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Could not be faulted”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My wife and myself spent three nights here in January 2013. The hotel is set right on the banks of the river and there are picturesque views across the estuary. The first thing that struck me was how clean everything was, the bar area, restaurant and bedrooms were spotless. Its a nice modern place with a large conservatory on the back where you can sit and read your paper on a morning or book during the day. The restaurant food was great and the meals were all well presented and hot. I had steak in red wine sauce on night one, grilled plaice in ginger on night two and loin of pork on night three and you just could not fault the quality of food or the service provided by the waiting staff. The breakfasts were of a similar standard and it was a real pleasure to have stayed there. They also have a pool and Gym area but we did not use these.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 201 which is quite large with a King bed and a view of the estuary. It is also very c...
1 Thank geronimo1049
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review.

I am so happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay.

I hope that we can welcome you back again soon

Carley Warren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
plymouth
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at the Passage House Hotel for a birthday treat that my partner booked for us. I have to say that I was really impressed, having never stayed in a Best Western before. We were very impressed on arrival and had a guided tour by Victoria who was very attentive and helped recommend a trip out from the hotel to a nearby attraction - The House Of Marbles which kept the little one amused. I always worry a little when we take our 2 year old anywhere but we were made to feel very welcome. In fact all the staff were very helpful throughout our stay. We only ate breakfast in the restaurant and that was freshly cooked, rather than a buffet/hot plate like so many other hotels do. They have a pub around the corner which I'm guessing is part of the hotel as you can charge your bill back by showing your room key. We all had a lovely meal there and I can highly recommend the baked camembert and fish pie :-)
They have a pool and gym within the hotel. I only used the pool, so I cannot comment on the gym although it looked very adequate. My little one loved the pool. I also had a treatment booked in the spa which was heavenly!
Our room surpassed expectations - we were in the Kingfisher room with views over the Estuary. I can imagine its lovely in the summer there. We fully intend to return in a few months to make the most of that balcony!

Room Tip: Upgrade to an Estuary view - its well worth it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tash_russell

It gave me great pleasure to read your review, and I will look forward to sharing your review to the rest of the team, including our Housekeeping Manager Victoria.

I hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Kindest Regards

bideford
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Decided to take a short Winter break at the hotel as it had been so good on a previous stay. I was not disappointed as again the staff were courteous and attentive, the leisure facilities were all available and we had the pool to ourselves on three occasions, the food was very good and the room, this time in the main building, was clean and very comfortable.The only small downside was that the internet connection in the room was broken.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the hotel.

I do hope that we can welcome you back again

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We returned to the passage house hotel in December to take advantage of our second group on deal. The first was in the summer for our "mini" honeymoon" was lovely hence we returned. This experience however was completely different. During our holiday in the summer we were told that full English breakfast was included in our group on deal so therefore we ordered it. On returning we had no reason to assume that anything was different and no one told us otherwise until the last morning. The waitress, walked up to the table, failed to greet us asked what she could get us. We replied that our children would like a sausage and some beans, she said you do realise that there will be an additional cost for that as you are on a groupon. I said I didn't and that we would therefore not like to order it. She went straight from our table to the reception desk where she obviously reported us as having had a breakfast each day. She was then rude, curt and miserable. When we had finished my husband went straight to the reception to see if she had indeed added the breakfasts to the bill which she had. My husband told the reception staff that as no-one had told us of the cost we would not be paying, he asked to speak to the manager. The manager refused to concede and stated that it was in the small print of the groupon and we should have read it. He stank of cigarette smoke. He said if we refused to pay he would report us to groupon. He said you would not go into tesco and take something and then Expect to leave the shop without paying, (although I would argue if you went there one week and they gave you a free item you wouldn't be totally wrong to assume that you may not be charged this time). He was condescending, arrogant and patronising. He wouldn't budge so we paid, but I was really upset by the whole thing. It made me feel like we were some sort of second class customer because we had booked it thought the groupon and I felt we were treated really badly. I left there in tears. I won't be going back no matter how cheap the groupon deal.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank C W
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write you review.

It saddens me to hear that you weren't satisfied with your stay.

I have looked into your experience and discussed it with the General Manager, and he explained that you hadn't seen that on your voucher it states that a continental breakfast was included on the package that you had purchased, and offered you a discount on the full English breakfast as a gesture of good will on this occasion.

The packages that are offered on Groupon can vary and this reflects in the price.

We treat all guests the same when visiting the hotel, whether they book with us directly or through a third party such as Groupon. We always aim to offer a superior level of service to visitors of the hotel.

If you would like to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate in contacting me on 01626 355515.

Wareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I found a fantastic deal on the internet for this hotel, and booked it as a surprise for my husbands birthday. We were really impressed with the whole package; we fully expected to be given a small room overlooking the car park as it was such a good deal, but no, our room had a King size double bed with full bathroom and river view, albeit in the annexe. Hotel was clean and comfortable, the pool & spa facilities were small but very good, and the staff were very helpful. Dinner and breakfast in the hotel were excellent, and the added bonus is the Passage Inn, serving pub food and a carvery just a few yards from the hotel itself. This is a lovely location, and we would certainly stay here again - and hope for better weather next time!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
It gave me great pleasure to read your review, I am very happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations and we hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed at the Passage House hotel for a two night package which included new years eve. Couldn't fault anything, the staff were great and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The gala dinner was of a very good quality which I believe was attained because each course was kept to a choice of three selections. All four of our party thoroughly enjoyed the stay which would have been even better if we had more favourable weather (not the fault of the hotel). I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wishes to visit the area and I know that we will be returning.

Room Tip: We asked for rooms in the main hotel rather than the lodges but that was based purely on the chance...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review.

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the BEST WESTERN Passage House Hotel.

I will look forward to passing on your feedback to the rest of the team.

East Midlands
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed at the Passage House Best Western for a short post Christmas break for my husband's birthday and to visit relatives in that part of Devon. After searching for a reasonable priced hotel - not a B&B, I booked directly with the Hotel chain website. We were very impressed when we arrived and the staff were very helpful throughout our 4 night stay. We only ate breakfast in the restaurant and that was excellent, freshly cooked, not sitting on hotplates like many similar hotels. There is a pub next door, this is part of the hotel complex and we did eat here during our stay and the food was good and plenty of it. I can recommend the baked Camembert!
There is a pool and gym within the hotel although I believe this is run separately, the pool is fairly small, but there is a bubble Jacuzzi area that was nice and relaxing. If you intend using the pool, I would suggest you take your beach towels as you are charged £1 each for extra towels to use, or you take the ones from your bedroom and have a damp towel for your shower!! There is also a beautician/spa where you can have beauty and spa treatments. I treated myself to a manicure/pedicure which was relaxing and lovely.

We would like to add that the hotel staff were very helpful, helping us with local restaurants and places to eat where we could watch the rugby!
We had a very nice meal in a restaurant/pub called the Linny in a village called Coffinswell - very recommended.

There is just one complaint about our room - the shower curtain in our room had been put up wonky and it was about 4 inches closer at the shower end and we were attacked by it each time we were in there!!

Room Tip: As recommended by many other reviews, we upgraded to an Estuary view room, had the sun come out it w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
PassageHouse, Director of Sales at Best Western Passage House Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
First and foremost thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It gave me great pleasure to read your review.

I will look forward to sharing your review with the other members of the team at the hotel.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel again soon

Carley Warren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingsteignton
Cockhaven Arms
#1 of 1 in Shaldon
Bovey Castle Hotel
Bovey Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Bovey

Been to Best Western Passage House Hotel? Share your experiences!