“Best carvery ever”

Passage House Inn
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Dated premises with an old musty aroma and a little too stuff. We thought the staff were cold and abrupt, but the best carvery I've ever had in Devon. Will definitely visit again, especially on special offer Monday.

1  Thank Nick H

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Don't go here if you don't like wasps or have an allergy to them. We sat outside on Bank Holiday Monday and there is obviously a major issue with wasps. This wasn't helped by the non-existent staff leaving empty glasses and bottles attracting more and more of them. My husband was stung twice. I have emailed the Manager to alert them but they haven't replied!
We sat inside to eat and food was ok but the cutlery and table was dirty.
We are local but don't think we will be returning anytime soon

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Came for Sunday lunch, not for the first time as we live close by. Nice spot to walk the dog etc. We usually leave a gap and try another visit hoping it gets better, that will be the last. 9.95 for a Carvery and 4.95 for a child's which is on the same size plate with very little difference in meat portion. The chef, not sure if owner or head chef, that served Carvery was very rude, I don't know why the waiting staff even exist! They spend all the timing hiding and chatting to themselves. I asked for a teaspoon for our toddler and was greeted with a grunt. The food, meat is standard, but the vegetables are a crime against nature! Overcooked , undercooked general 1980's travel cafe slop. The decor although in keeping is very tired, needs a good clean and lick of paint. It's a real shame as this could be a delightful pub, please current owners sell it to someone with some passion for food.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Inn is in a lovely setting looking out over the river.
It was a busy evening when we arrived, eventually we got a table.
We got our drinks opened a tab to be told we already had a tab, No I do not want to pay for someone else's meal thank you, Please open a new tab. We had ordered 3 Carvery meals as the meat looked very good, that was it, The meat was ok but the vegetables were dreadful looked like pig swill, potatoes overcooked and yorkshire puddings like leather. needless to say we did not eat much dinner and will not be going back for more

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Having taking my mother and family to the passage house inn for a Sunday lunch, I was bitterly disappointed with what should have been a pleasant simple Sunday roast, the tiny serving plates meant you had no option but too pile the food one portion on top of each other and the meat was buried under the food even though my individual portions were small and I did not wish to pile my food up, the small plates obviously designed to stop people overloading but just made the eating experience difficult to enjoy as seeing your food is always helpful.

The food itself was bland tasteless and very poor value for money

The 5 children in our company including a 4 and 5 year old were served adult portions when it was quite obvious child portions were required, but we were not asked and naturally assumed this, our mistake so lots of food waste, no waitress asked us at any point if we enjoyed the meal or needed anything. Poor food, poor service and overpriced.