“Fantastic food, good atmosphere and service”

The Weary Ploughman
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The restaurant, bar and rooms at the Weary Ploughman at Churston has been extensively refurbished to a very high standard during the last two years to provide somewhere to eat, meet or stay that is very welcoming and comfortable, but not in any way pretentious. Our menu is varied and freshly cooked using, whenever possible, produce sourced locally.
Reviewed June 29, 2014

My husband and I recently had the privilege of eating and staying at the Weary Ploughman. The food is fantastic some of the best we have ever tasted. We ate differently on four nights running, each night was as good as the previous. We couldn't choose a favourite really although I thought the pan roasted chicken was particularly yummy.as was the steak. As for desserts I was in HEAVEN. I am definitely a sweet person. What a choice, they are all absolutely delicious, my favourite if I could possibly choose was the lemon tart followed very closely by the sticky toffee pudding, eton mess, panacotta and pear, vanilla creme brulee and apple crumble, need I say more!! Our room was lovely and nothing eas ever too much trouble. We didn't want to leave, we will definitely be back

wearyploughman, Owner at The Weary Ploughman, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Thank you very much for your complimentary review following your stay with us last month. We all work hard to give our over-night guests and restaurant customers an enjoyable experience and we really appreciate knowing that you had a great time.
All our food is cooked to order from freshly prepared high quality ingredients which we try to source as locally as possible.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

We were recently staying in Brixham Devon and looking for somewhere nice to eat, having visited this Pub a couple of years ago I was a little apprehensive but I need not have worried. The food was to a very high standard and the surroundings and the ambiance of the place were really fab.
I chose The Goat Tartlet and it was perfect, my Brother had the Liver and Bacon which he really enjoyed and said it was just like good home cooking and he is not the easiest person to please.
The staff were so friendly and we didn't have to wait long for our food. When we visit Devon again we will most defintely visit this place again. From a value for money point of view the food wasn't cheap but for good quality food it was spot on. Put it this way you only get what you pay for.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review of our restaurant following your visit last month, we all do appreciate your kind comments. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to South Devon.

Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

Twice in a week two places 5 stars
Today we had to start pate which was outstanding and the soup of the day (celeriac and honey)we ordered an extra portion it was so nice .
Sorbet try the apple different and refreshing
Lambs liver was excellent well cooked and we'll presented sausage and mash was really nice tastey proper sausage
Definatly calling again
Staff were good decor was good nice themes pictures on the walls some of local area a very nice place to eat and relax

wearyploughman, Owner at The Weary Ploughman, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2014

We are all very appreciative of the '5' award you have given The Weary Ploughman, thank you very much. All members of our teams - front-of-house, kitchen and housekeeping - are very conscientious in their work to give our restaurant customers and over-night guests an enjoyable experience. Again, thank you for complimentary review.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

The staff were very good and couldn't do enough. All the food was excellent, from the hand battered fish to the lamb shanks. I had the lambs liver which was excellent and I know as a chef myself how difficult this is to get perfect when you are cooking several different meals at the same time. There were 12 of us all having different meals and they all came out within a couple of minutes. Definitely recommended!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your lovely review, following your visit to our restaurant in February, and for awarding us a '5' in all categories. We do have a super team working with us and we all appreciate reading encouraging reviews like yours - especially from a fellow member of the hospitality trade. Again, thank you very much.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I came here with my family for a birthday dinner. The middle girl aged ten declared the mussels the best she'd ever eaten! As that is what she always orders that is high praise indeed.
We had a wonderful evening and really enjoyed it, thank you to the great chef and attentive staff.

wearyploughman, Owner at The Weary Ploughman, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

You're welcome - and thank you very much for your kind review.
We are pleased to know you had a very enjoyable birthday meal, and also very pleased that your mussel expert daughter gave us her seal of approval. We source the good quality mussels from the River Exe and the company who farm and supply them have been awarded the Marine Sustainability Certificate.
Head Chef, Will, and Manager, Jodie, and their kitchen & front-of-house teams work hard to provide high quality food and service for our customers and it is very encouraging to read your complimentary review. Once again, thank you very much.