Tripadvisor
Foolow
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews the pub peak district extensive menu all enjoyed our meals three rooms choice of real ales fish pie four poster bed specials board well stocked bar sunday roast delicious home cooked food very comfortable room booked a table mash location is great visiting the area
Selected filters
Reviewed January 11, 2020 via mobile

Visited the Bulls Head in Foolow to celebrate my wife's birthday along with our eldest son and daughter in law.
We all thoroughly enjoyed our meal having a starter and main course. The food was excellent, very well cooked and beautifully presented. The menu was varied with excellent selection and a specials board too.
I have no doubt that we will return in the near future

Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank HarryH324
bullsheadfoolow, General Manager at The Bulls Head Inn Foolow Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello HarryH324,

Delighted to hear that you enjoyed everything on your recent visit. Very pleased to see you will be returning in the near future!
All the very best,

Reviewed January 2, 2020

First time here since since the new management took over. As regular walkers in the area, we looked forward to the OAP special menu of delicious home-cooked food which we have sampled many times before, but we were very disappointed to find that, not only is this no longer an option, but also the prices have escalated. How can anyone justify charging £2.60 for half a pint of lime and soda? And £7.50 for a smoked salmon & cream cheese sandwich, made with unremarkable sliced bread & accompanied by a small side salad was also not good value for money. (The haloumi fries were good, though). Although there is still a sign welcoming muddy boots and paws, it did not feel as welcoming as it used to.

Date of stay: January 2020
bullsheadfoolow, General Manager at The Bulls Head Inn Foolow Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2020

Hello Passenger296719,

Firstly I would like to apologise. It appears you have been incorrectly charged for your lime and soda. It should have been £1.60. Please call in again and you can have one for free.

We have stopped the OAP special menu, yes. But plan to replace it with a new set menu that is equally affordable. We have worked hard to bring quality ingredients and local produce to The Bulls Head rather than 'ping and ding' dishes. We will certainly not be an expensive venue I can assure you. It is a country pub after all.

I am baffled though... £7.50 for a Smoked Salmon and Crème fraîche sandwich, on fresh brown bread and side salad is hardly breaking the bank? All in all you had your lunch for less than £10. Not to mention it is a 'premium' sandwich.. I would agree with you if it was cheese and pickle.

Imagine buying all of the ingredients from the supermarket, paying someone to make it for you, ensuring the lights are on so you aren't eating in the dark, the place is warm and comfortable, have someone deliver it to you, then clear it away and go and wash the pots. Dishes have to be priced accordingly otherwise pubs will just not survive.

I hope you read my response and understand I mean it with the most sincerity and really do hope we are regular spot for you on your rambles.

Have a brilliant start to 2020, I look forward to welcoming you to The Bulls Head again soon.

Reviewed January 2, 2020 via mobile

Went here today for lunch today with friends for a birthday. Staff were helpful and friendly. The food was amazing one of the best meals ever. The pudding Pear, Almond and Amaretto tart was to die for. If you are visiting the area it is a absolute must.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Lesley M

Hi Lesley M,

OMG to the review too! Thank you so much for taking the time to review! We are really pleased to see that you enjoyed your recent visit. Hope you can join us before the next birthday.
Many thanks,

Reviewed December 28, 2019

Lovely country pub in a beautiful village. However, the new General Manager needs to understand his business much better. Whilst there on Friday 27th December we discussed availability of accommodation for family and he said there were rooms available, great. He was then prompted by his bar staff that they were fully booked all weekend!
Upon leaving the same night he asked us to come and sample the food as they’d only recently taken over the business, we replied that we will return the next night. We arrived early on the Saturday night to ensure there was a table free but once we asked for a menu, the bar staff advised that they were fully booked. I asked to see the General Manager who informed me that he was fully booked with a party of 70 guests taking all the tables in the pub. I asked why he didn’t inform me of this the previous night but couldn’t give me a proper explanation. I find this very disappointing as we couldn’t go elsewhere as the village as quite remote and driving wasn’t an option.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Hello Ramblers67,

It is hard to know where to start with a response to this review. It was a delight to chat to you both the previous evening. A lovely couple that were visiting the area and had a couple of hikes planned. How that can change when people do not get what they want...

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise that we could not fit you in to our busy village pub. The pub was bought on the 17th November 2019 so it is very early days for our team and naturally mistakes will occur. I must stress that we are experienced individuals within this trade and I find that this review is just a case of sour grapes. This is our 3rd property within the company and it will be as successful as the others.
The very fact that whilst you have been here on holiday you go to the trouble of creating a brand new TA account just to put this review on really does sum it up.

As for an explanation; working flat out since the 17th November to ensure that all of guests receive the service they should expect I think is a 'proper' explanation.

I truly hope that you read this and perhaps reconsider posting on TA in future just to 'get your own back.' It can really damage pubs, especially so when it is early days for new management in a new location.

I do hope 2020 is a bumper year for you and hope to see you in The Bulls Head when visiting the area again.
All the best,

Reviewed December 9, 2019

Stayed at the Bull in Foolow for a couple of nights to enable a visit to Chatsworth House just a few miles away. Excellent location to stay away from the crowds only down the road! The committment of management and staff is very good to ensure that guests feel welcome and satisfied with their stay and service -and for us they certainly succeeded. Very good value, clean accommodation together with with an excellent choice of menu which didn't disappoint either. Add in a good choice of real ales in a nice homely atmosphere and pub environment and who needs colder big hotels? Just one comment - buy some good brandy glassess for after dinner tipples and save the tumblers for the scotch! Family have expressed wish to revisit Chatsworth and if/when we do so - we would hope that the Bulls Head at Foolow will be able to accommodate us again. Best wishes and good luck with your enterprise.
Mr. & Mrs R. Williams & family

Room tip: All rooms are good -recently refubished and very good standard /taste
Date of stay: December 2019
2  Thank Robert W
bullsheadfoolow, General Manager at The Bulls Head Inn Foolow Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2019

Hi Robert W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us!
Delighted to hear you have enjoyed your recent visit.
As for brandy glasses... totally agree. We have inherited from the previous owners an awful lot of glassware some of which is not right for making that favourite tipple just perfect. Brandy glasses, whisky tumblers and more are all on order...
Watch this space...
All the very best for the festive period!