“Awesome spot awesome accomodation.”
Wood burning stove - ahhhh It's the Kitchen
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
Wood burning stove - ahhhh
It's the Kitchen
Living room from the bookcase
Living room from behind the television
Main Bedroom - my favourite anyway
Bedroom 2 - it's twins....beds
Chapel Stile - cows eye view
Chapel Stile - sheeps eye view
The Chapel of Chapel Stile fame
Chapel Stile - birds eye view
The Cottage from the middle of the road
Wood burning stove - not quite sure why I have 2 photos of the stove but it's better than none!
Floor Plan
The Games Room with brand new Pool table - just in case it rains!
Village shop - 50 yards away
Village shop welcomes novices!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Colin224
Perth, Australia
“Awesome spot awesome accomodation.”
Reviewed May 12, 2014 for a stay in April 2014

I have no hesitation recommending The Old Post Office. There were 7 of us and we had a great time. It is ideally situated in a small valley and great for trekking around the Lake District. Accomodation was excellent and we particularly like the games room which kept the younger ones (and a couple of the older ones) entertained in the evenings. The facilites are excellent with everything you need. There is only one bathroom but two toilets. We are from Australia and toured all around England and can honestly say our highlight was the week in the Lake District partly thanks to our stay in the Old Post Office.

Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: The Position
Liked least: One bathroom
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
May 16, 2014
Thanks for your kind reviews Colin and glad you enjoyed your stay at The Old Postmasters Cottage. You refer to the Old Post Office which is next door - did you tunnel through!! No worries, others have made the same mistake - maybe I should change the name to something completely different?? The 2 cottages were originally internally joined - next door being the Post Office & shop (they once had petrol pumps outside!) and my cottage being the living quarters of the Postmaster/mistress. And yes, having just 1 bathroom if you have a big party is not ideal, but the second and separate toilet at least allows for 'emergencies'. Hope you had a safe journey back to Oz - hope to see you back next time you're over. Hooroo, Warren
martyb187...
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A little gem!”
Reviewed April 3, 2014 for a stay in March 2014

A well equipped cottage in a beautiful location. Cottage is warm and cosy with a fantastic little pub a stones throw away. Warren was very helpful with all our questions - nothing was too much trouble. Stayed with our two dogs who loved the walks. A smashing place that we will definitely return to.

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Apr 6, 2014
Thanks a lot for your kind review. And thanks for looking after the cottage. I must admit I'm always a little nervous with dogs staying (unfortunate incident last year) but with every doggy guest, my confidence is being re-built that most dog owners are responsible and respectful people. Oh yes, and my cleaner passes on her thanks too - she's never had an easier clean!! Warren
Linda B
Aughton, United Kingdom
“A beautiful Cottage - everything you need and more!!!”
Reviewed March 25, 2014 for a stay in February 2014

What a lovely stay we had in this clean, well equipped cottage. The scenery that surrounded us was breath taking. The cottage has everything one needs and even more! A wonderful place to stay and i am sure we will return.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The thoughtfulness that had gone into the cottage - a home from home.
Liked least: No complaints.
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Mar 29, 2014
Many thanks and great to hear you enjoyed your stay. The Langdales are wonderful even in February but sublime in summer. And I do keep adding little things to try and make it more a home from home - it's actually better equipped than my main home! Hope to see you back soon. Warren
WestWales...
Ceredigion
“Home from home in a perfect setting”
Reviewed March 20, 2014 for a stay in February 2014

The cottage is cosy and well furnished with everything you can think of from household items to books and games to keep everyone amused whatever the weather. Seven of us, a baby and our dogs had a wonderful weekend despite the weather but then it wouldn't be the Lake District if it didn't rain! Warren(the owner) sent a very comprehensive list of eating places and helpful hints - he couldn't have been more helpful. There is a payphone in the cottage that was extremely useful when my son broke down as there was no mobile phone coverage. Really hope we can return to The Old Postmasters Cottage soon. Thanks Warren for renting us your lovely cottage.

Mar 21, 2014
Thanks for your kind words and I'm glad you had a good time despite the weather. Having experienced the odd rainy day in the Lakes myself, I know it's good to have some things to do indoors to keep you entertained - and that's why I keep adding things to the games room! Hope to see you back and I'll sort out some sunny weather for you next time....Warren
mschillpi...
England
“Lovely holiday home in an excellent location”
Reviewed January 20, 2014 for a stay in August 2013

We were 4 adults and a child. The lovely cottage had everything we needed including interesting books and a pool table! The owner was extremely helpful in providing us with detailed and clear notes which included everything from directions to the place, where to park and the best places around to visit/ eat. The cottage itself was ideal for calm, picturesque walks. We had an extremely relaxed holiday. In my opinion, lack of wifi and patchy mobile signal worked wonders in helping us unwind totally! We would totally recommend this beautiful cottage.

Liked best: The beautiful location
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for your kind words. Unfortunately, the "lack of wifi to help you unwind" has now been spoilt by me installing broadband wifi. I was torn between putting it in or not, as it is nice to not feel the pressure to check emails all the time, but I had too many people asking for it.

Anyway, I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope the wifi doesn't put you off returning in the future!

Warren
60Aussie
York
“Lakeland special”
Reviewed November 27, 2013 for a stay in September 2013

Lovely house, clean and comfortable with added benefit of a well stocked village store. Location is perfect and close to areas of extreme beauty.

Traveling group: Friends
Older travelers
the_b0mb
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Everything we needed and more, location couldn't have been any better :)”
Reviewed June 3, 2013 for a stay in May 2013
person found this review helpful

The cottage was just what we needed for our family getaway to the Lake District, we absolutely loved our stay and I would highly recommend it to our family and friends. There was 6 adults and 1 new born baby staying at the cottage and there was plenty room for more. The location was perfect with some breathtaking views and lovely walking/hiking trips right on your doorstep. I cannot thank Warren (the owner) enough for all his helpful information and recommendations on what to see, where to go and where to eat out etc. We spent 3 nights at the cottage at the back end of May and even got some sunshine too which was a bonus. There is a little supermarket a stone throw away from the cottage which is handy for grabbing essentials and a little further down the road (2 minute walk) is a lovely Pub called the Wainwrights that do some lovely pub food (lamb shoulder is highly recommended). Just left of the pub is a public pathway which will take you on a lovely riverside walk.

The cottage itself is bigger than we expected and there is a games room downstairs from the kitchen which has plenty games to keep children entertained and also a pool table to keep the adults entertained as well. The bed linens and towels were immaculate and of the best quality. There is no mobile phone signal available throughout the cottage but to me that’s how it should be, leave your mobile phones at home and should you wish to make a call then there is a pay phone in the cottage kitchen itself. You will find a lovely NEW wood burner stove in the living room which I can assure you sets the mood on a rainy cold evening, we made the most of it one evening and all enjoyed a bottle of carbernet sauvignon purchased from the little supermarket and spent the evening just chilling out enjoying the log fire.

I cannot think of any negative points and I can assure you that you will not regret your stay at this lovely cottage. I am a keen traveler and you will see from my profile that I do not leave any reviews but I figured this cottage is a little gem that deserves a special mention. We already cannot wait to go back sometime.

Should you have any questions at all then please feel free to contact Warren, he is very helpful.

Stacey

Liked best: Tranquil location, wood burner stove & comfy beds & linen
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
Jun 29, 2013
Thanks for the review Stacey - and glad you enjoyed the stove. I'm really pleased with it and it adds that extra bit of character that was missing before I had it installed.

Hope to see you back soon. Broadband and some more kit for the Games room are on my shopping list!

Thanks again.

Warren
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing