“The woollen woods”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“The woollen woods”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

What a lovely day out. We were given the tip off that Wool clip had crafted a 'woollen woodland' at Acorn Bank Gardens, and at the end of a Lakeland holiday we dropped by. We were given the warmest of welcomes and really helpful advice that enabled us to enjoy the day to its full. Our 2 year old thoroughly enjoyed hunting for creatures, leaves, 'funny things'(her words) in the trees.
We walked on and found the 1st swallows of the year in the water mill, and then on the lower woodland walk we found Eeyore's house and a couple of 'troll' bridges. Our toddler walked for 2 hours without complaint as there was so much for her to see.
The tea room was wonderful and provided excellent home cooked food.
What a great day out.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“A great find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is such a lovely place with staff to match. The history of the house, going back to Knights Templars, was fascinating and a real treat to see the huge original fireplace, then panelling going back to the 17th century. Unfortunately there was torrential rain throughout our visit, so we didn't explore the gardens which was a huge disappointment. But we will definitely go back one day and do so.

Surat Thani, Thailand
207 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 279 helpful votes
“Find tranquility here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

A National Trust property in the beautiful Eden Valley, Acorn Bank offers many different attractions and given good weather, many hours can be wiled away here. There's plenty of car parking and from the car park, you can wander through woodland along Crowdundle Beck down to an old Watermill which apparently "works" most weekends. When we visited this year, it was a bitterly cold day so it wasn't the weather for lingering! The daffodils were just beginning to bloom. Back at the house, there are a variety of gardens including a fascinating herb garden and traditional orchard. Also on the estate is an old gypsum mine and a wild life hide. Although Acorn Bank can be visited at any time, when we were there in March, most of the gardens were in their dormant phase but later in the year, they are stunning.
The 17th century house is partially open and contains a gift shop and a wonderful tea room where some of the produce from the estate is used. The chocolate cake is highly reccommended! As you would expect from National Trust property, staff are friendly and knowlegeable.
In the autumn, Acorn Bank hosts an apple day.
Even on a cold wintry day, it was worth visiting. There are splendid countryside views all around and the sort of place where repeat visits will always be worthwhile.

Visited March 2013
England, UK
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Having recently got a National Trust membership, I decided it would be nice to have a look at what this place had to offer (I must admit, I didn't have high expectations). The driveway into the grounds which had a mass of sheep and lambs was a lovely welcome. As I had a dog, I knew I would be restricted to the woodland walk and didn't expect it to be very exciting however the first glimpse I got was of colourful things hanging from the trees near the entrance. Upon closer inspection I found it was an Eden Arts woollen exhibition which was superb. I then proceeded along the path and came across the watermill which I hadn't realised was there. Then there followed a path beside a stream with a public footpath heading over a field if you wanted to stray. The wildlife hide, which could not be seen from the waymark sign, was excellent giving close-up views of birds feeding on the bird feeders. I had a look at the house from the outside and it is very attractive, I will definitely visit again with my family to show them the delights this place has to offer.

Bradford, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A Tranquil Haven Steeped in History”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

Acorn Bank is a fascinating place to visit with its walled garden, herb garden and woodland walk to the restored watermill by Crowdundle Beck. The gardens are full of flowers that are very country cottage type of blooms and unusual herbal plants that can be eaten or used for medicinal purposes. Lovely tea room, gift shop and the house is currently under restoration full of sheep made out of local wool which is very charming. Lots to do and see and place that can be revisited time and time again.

Visited September 2012