Skygarth Farm
$144
Orbitz.com
The Kings Arms Hotel(Temple Sowerby)
$100
  • Breakfast included
Travelodge Penrith(Penrith)(Great Value!)
$62
Travelodge
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was my third stay at Skygarth farm and it was excellent as always. It's 8 miles from Penrith where my son is studying and so provides a good base for visiting him and for visiting the lake district. I was very well looked after by Sheila, the owner, right from the ready boiled kettle in the lounge as I arrived (complete with biscuits and a large selection of hot drinks) through to getting a message through to me after leaving my glasses behind on departure. Sitting at the breakfast table watching the woodpecker and goldfinches on the bird table nicely complimented the excellent full breakfast, although I did have to make use of the bird identification books on the windowsill next to me but the birds were too close to need the also provided binoculars.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Tony S
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Skygarth farm is setting a new high standard as for B&B service and perfection.
We received a warm welcome from Sheila, the owner, who introduced us to the room, which was actually a whole separate wing of the house. The wing includes a spacious bedroom, which is nicely decorated and fully equipped for a convenient stay, with carrying attention to everything, down to a bath robe and an electric adapter for the use of foreign travelers.
Adjacent to the room where the toilets, and a separate bathroom. The bathroom as the rest of the place was spotless and bright, and had all one may need in a bathroom including soaps, shampoos, shaving cream, hygienic pads, ear buds - you name it.
Having stayed at hundreds of B&Bs, Skygarth Farm has acceded all my expectations. For me as one who loves B&Bs in farms, Sheila's get 5 stars.
( This is Skygarth farm exect location: http://goo.gl/maps/2oMvb)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here recently, whilst exploring parts of Cumbria that most people miss during the rush to the Lake District.

We really enjoyed our stay. The host, Sheila, was very friendly and very helpful. The breakfast was excellent, the room really nice, and the views lovely.

Keen birdwatchers will probbaly be interested to know that among the birds I saw on the feeders in the garden were Nuthatch, Great Spotted Woodpecker and Coal Tit.

We certainly intend to come here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2011

My partner, daughter and I stayed at Skygarth for a few nights at the beginning of August and I hope that we will stay there again soon.
We received a warm welcome from our hostess Sheila, who showed us what was effectively our own wing of the large farmhouse. The sitting/breakfast room was ours alone as there was no other guests staying, as were both bathrooms.
Our room was huge and extremely comfortable. Every part of it had a touch of thoughtful luxury added. It was immaculately clean, well provided and furnished beatifully and traditionally. The beds were warm, comfortable and pristine.

The bathroom/shower room was similarly filled with little touches which showed real thought and consideration for guests. We were provided with a potty and child's toilet-seat/step - how many places think of this? - there were many, many toiletries provided and the towels were thick, soft and could be wrapped nearly twice around a body. Bliss after a hot shower.

We ate both night in the Kings Arms, which is just under a mile from the farmhouse. What a delightful place it was. The food was ridiculously good for a little country inn and the regulars that we saw both nights were a nice mixture of old and young people but who clearly all knew each other and behaved accordingly. The service was fantastic.

Breakfast served in the sitting room was full English and as much of a challenge as it was both mornings, I felt I had to give it a good go. Everything was sourced locally (or from the farm) and the whole plate was head-and-shoulders above the normal lazy fry-up.

I can't speak highly enough of this place. I would go back there now. Set in beautiful countryside, quiet but pampering. If you're in the area, spoil yourself and stay there. We will again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank HoJu
Reviewed March 13, 2011

stayed for 1 night after a day at centre parcs (only 5 mins away) and we had a great stay. Room was huge and well serviced with tea/coffee/water/towels etc. We asked for recommendations for evening meal and would say the local pub in village was worth a visit. Table was booked on our behalf and even arranged/provided transport to and from B&B to village. The breakfast was excellent and cooked to perfection. We seen a woodpecker outside dining room window during breakfast and it's no surprise as location was so peaceful and quiet. Would recommend this to friends and would return again in future.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple