Open today: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Great for dogs

ennabraithwaite
Bedale, United Kingdom
SUPERB

We toured the Hall and the Gardens and loved it. The information is strong and clear. The... read more

RetiredWazza
Daylesford, Australia

1,474 results
All reviews mr darcy national trust timber yard adventure playground beautiful house the main house stately home pride prejudice peak district formal gardens rose garden lovely grounds colin firth red deer play area hunting lodge italian garden
Reviewed 1 week ago

We visited here expecting it to be the usual “stuffy” National trust day out but it was far from it! It’s a wonderful place for kids and dogs. Our dog was given a doggie treat at the entrance gate and we were given a map of dog walks (it’s a huge place) plenty of space for off lead runs. Lots of exciting things for children, trees to climb and no signs forbidding it. The children’s playground looked very good but we don’t have kids so can’t comment on the equipment, but judging by the noise the kids were having a great time. Café queues were very long and the scones and cake we had were tasteless,not up to the NT’s usual standard, but there’s plenty of picnic places so next time we’ll take our own

2  Thank ennabraithwaite
Reviewed 1 week ago

We toured the Hall and the Gardens and loved it.
The information is strong and clear.
The Volunteers are wonderfully friendly and helpful and knowledgeable.
The family was fascinating and adventurous
We had coffee/tea and scones in the Hall Cafe - very good and reasonable price.
Loved the Orangerie and inspired by it.
Alas the Hall is not wheelchair friendly

2  Thank RetiredWazza
Reviewed 1 week ago

The guides were so helpful and informative however the parking fee which was astronomical puts my review down to a 4 star.

Reviewed 1 week ago

We stopped here as my husband can trace his ancestry back to Thomas Legh, who was a gentleman commoner & head of the household here for many years. The gardens are beautiful & the mansion dates back to the 16th century. We found the volunteers very helpful & knowledgeable & enjoyed the close access we had to most rooms in the house. This National Trust property is highly recommended.

1  Thank Konie
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We visited here during the October half term with our 4 year old daughter. Firstly, I was shocked that just to drive in costs £8! It’s not even like you can park outside and walk through as it’s at least 2 miles from the entrance to the house. Anyway, we parked up and had a walk around the duck pond. It really is a lovely place and it was a lovely day. We headed straight for the adventure playground which was really the reason we had visited. Now this was absolutely fantastic... for older children. There were children aged up to around 13 running around without supervision, which made it quite scary and dangerous for our 4 year old. The only real thing she could use was the slide which was overrun with older children and some swings. It was such a shame that there wasn’t anything that really was meant for younger children. We had a walk around the woods, found some hedgehog houses and then headed back. There was pumpkin carving happening in the courtyard which had to be booked online and was full to my daughters dismay. We headed back to the car to buy a pumpkin from Tesco. A lovely place but expensive to park and not much for younger kids.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We live about a mile from Lyme Park & use it all the time, I had the best playground for kids around the area. The timber yard is nice for a cup of tea & the house & gardens are lovely. You can go for a walk here every day & never walk the same place as there are so many walks to do. The views from Lyme Cage are stunning. There is always tons of stuff on for the kids to do.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The house was very interesting (some lovely Grinling Gibbons wood carving) and the grounds are beautiful.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

What a place to visit. The scene of D'Arcy's impromptu swim. The grounds are extensive and would need more than just one visit to truly appreciate. The house is absorbing and the views from various parts of the grounds breathtaking. Only letdown National Trust was the poor quality of your tearooms. Not impressed could do better we felt. Volunteers were very approachable and knowledgeable. Would love to call back one day

1  Thank LindyLou192
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I have walked in Lyme Park on many occasions but generally walk up to Sponds Hill along the Gritstone Trail following the same track. Following an email reminder from the National Trust, I decided to do a proper visit for an Autumn day out. There is a "Trust 10" km route starting and finishing at the Timberyard with signs along the way to keep you on track (only got lost once!) . This was a wonderful walk, really exceeded my expectations. It is quite tough, up hill and down dale, but I loved it. It took me to many places that I had not been or seen before. And there were some deer up in the higher slopes.
After lunch I wanted to visit the house and gardens but the house was closed so I had a lovely walk around the gardens. Obviously not the best time of year but it was still thoroughly enjoyable with the orangery, the Italian garden and the Lakeside walk. I will have to come back next Spring to see inside the house.
Thoroughly recommended.

1  Thank philbuckley79
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Went here with my family and dogs and loved every minute. First stop was the little cafe at the car park for coffees and off we set for a walk on a very windy day. It was brilliant, we ended up in the woodland with clear defined paths and doggy poo bins everywhere so no excuse for poo or poo bags tied to trees. After a nice long romp with the dogs, we went to the play area with the kids, which bored them within 5 minutes, and then...the house. WOW it was brilliant, the guides are knowledgeable, the story of the severed arm was fascinating to all and I got a touch on the leg by the resident ghost. We were too late for the dressing up, and didn’t see a lot of the house but I will be back. As a trust member it makes it worth it.

1  Thank Cazza J