“Really impressed!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Duxford B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Really impressed!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We booked for Sunday lunch (but didn't want carvery) before attending an event at the Imperial War Museum. We were warmly welcomed by a team of smiling faces who looked after us really well. The menu is fantastic - so varied and well priced. I felt very awkward asking for dairy free choices but it was no problem at all - the waiter asked me what I most fancied and then the chef obliged with a dairy free adaptation. The food is excellent and the service matches it. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Green Cove Springs, Florida
Reviewed October 3, 2013

So, we spent a night at the John Barleycorn while visiting the Cambridge area and the IWM. As other reviewers have said, the folks that run this place are extremely friendly and helpful...and the food is absolutely out of this world! Our dinner at the John Barleycorn was hands down the best meal we had during our whole time in England. On a less positive note, the bedroom was a little dated and rather small and uncomfortable. I didn't like that the room door opened almost directly onto the beer garden and the parking lot. We were there on a chilly, rainy night, so it was quiet outside, but I can imagine that when the weather is fine, it would be very noisy and not at all private! Still, overall a good stay for the one night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FITravellers
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Firstly I would like to say this is a lovely, quaint B&B, priced perfectly. The staff are great,very helpful and pleasant. The food was fantastic on the evening we stayed and breakfast in the morning. I only had a few niggles.....The room really needs a little TLC (we stayed in No:2). There was mould on the bathroom ceiling and tiles. To be truthful the room didn't feel that clean at all. My husband got a, shall we say insect bite on his arm and I felt itchy in bed all night!!. Now this was a weekend away to treat my husband to Duxford Air Museum, which he loved and after nearly 5 hours of walking round I was dying to soak my feet in a hot bath before evening meal. The hot water eventually came through after 10 mins and then trickled. Half an hour later!!!.... I got my bath ha ha. This room really needs a makeover John Barleycorn.
Only other grumble £17.50 for a bottle of Pinot Grigio...really ???. The evening meal was not cheap, and they finished serving at 8pm. By the time we had finished our main meal, I had to ask if there were any desserts. I was told there was only ice-cream or sorbet left !!
Like I say in the beginning priced right for what to expect....but it would of been nice to be asked from the Manager when we left, if we had enjoyed our stay then I might not of wrote on here. Oh and perfect location for the Museum

Room Tip: No 2 needs some improvements
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paula F
Kent
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The war museum is too large and important to be done in a few hours, so the John Barleycorn is perfectly placed for an overnight stay. Rooms, named after pilots, are not large but comfortable. The drinking/eating area outside is very pleasant on a warm evening. The bar is traditional, with absolutely perfect Greene King Abbot, Food is good quality if a little pricey considering that it's a pub, not restaurant. Excellent steak and venison. Breakfast couldn't be faulted. All in all, good value, nice staff and lovely atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Hengist002
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed here overnight due to the pub's proximity to the Sanger Institute in Hinxton. The staff (and the locals) were so friendly and made me feel very welcome. The room I stayed in was large and comfortable and I slept very well. One slight grumble was that the kettle in my room needed descaling, but this is easily fixed! I enjoyed a couple of drinks in the pretty beer garden and ate dinner and breakfast in the cosy pub; both were delicious and freshly cooked and the service was excellent. The only other issue (not specific to The John Barleycorn) was the lack of phone signal (on O2) I received in the whole of Duxford which made communicating with my work colleagues extremely difficult, but I'm unsure whether this is a permanent issue or whether there was a particular problem whilst I was there. I would definitely recommend this charming and traditional pub and would like to say thank you for a lovely stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Spills87
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed for just the one night and picked this place as it was near the IWM at Duxford. This is a lovely little pub in a quiet village. The rooms are at the rear of the building and separate to the main building. The room was fairly small but very well presented and very clean. The bathroom was spotless and the towels were soft and fluffy. You can sit outside in the pleasant beer garden to cool off after a long day visiting the IWM up the road. We had an evening meal in the restaurant, which seemed to be very popular and busy. The service was excellent, as was the food - sharing board of olives, fresh bread, charcuterie etc for start, followed by Cajun chicken salad and corn-fed chicken. Lovely wine too. The breakfast was huge and very tasty. All in all I thought this was excellent value and would recommend to friends. The staff were very friendly and there was nothing at all to fault.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SJJ21
Derbyshire
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed three nights in this tiny Inn - our twin room has been adapted for use by disabled folk with a wet room and no threshhold to bounce over! The other rooms are all doubles; small but very well designed to sqeeze in the en-suit facilities. The breakfasts are great if you like a full English, but very little else on offer - we asked for yoghurt with no success, and some fruit would have been nice! The staff were well trained and very helpful. The evening meals were excellent so we ate in two nights and only went out the other night to benefit from a "Tastecard" offer down the road! Liked the atmosphere of the ancient pub and would definately return if visiting Cambridge again - we used the P&R facility just a short drive away.

Room Tip: Room 1 is the only twin - the other three are doubles!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duxford
Duxford Lodge
#1 of 3 in Saffron Walden
The Gonville Hotel
The Gonville Hotel
#2 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to The John Barleycorn? Share your experiences!