“Quiet location & helpful staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Duxford Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Duxford
Scotland
“Quiet location & helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Wonderful greeting on arrival on a wet & stormy night! Chose executive room which is at the top of the house without a lift. Very good size room and large bathroom but no shower. Excellent dinner and good value. Disappointing breakfast, poor quality marmalade & juices, cooked breakfast was ok.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was our 2nd stay with friends at the Duxford Lodge - a 50th birthday treat for me in conjunction with a visit to the nearby Imperial War Museum. Our 1st stay was several years ago and I was pleased to see that their high standards had not slipped. The staff were very welcoming and attentive. They even arranged for us to check ourselves in, giving us the code for the door as we were arriving around midnight. The room was spotless, well furnished, with a very comfy bed and toasty warm. The water was always hot and the wifi worked perfectly ( I see a previous reviewer had a problem but there are 2 passwords - 1 for the hotel rooms and 1 for the outside lodges - maybe they used the wrong one?). The food in their Paradis Restaurant alone deserves 5 stars. The breakfast was huge and superb, the evening meal was also a delight - clean plates all round. A special thanks to the serving staff for decorating our table with streamers and glitter etc when they heard that it was my birthday - a very nice touch. This is an excellent hotel, perfectly placed for visiting the Duxford Air Museum and surrounding area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Flash2Alpha
Letchworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

A lovely old fashioned hotel. We had a fresh coffee in the lounge, with biscuits whilst we relaxed before getting ready to go out.We stayed 1 night as we were at a party at the local golf club. It was clean and pleasant and the breakfast in the morning was wonderful.

The only draw back was the bathroom, very outdated. My husband tried to have a shower, the water only came out at a trickle. Also it wasn't even over the bath, you had to sit in it and hold the shower head, which would have been disastrous if i'd had to wash my long hair! Also I couldn't get near the mirror to put my make up on and the lighting definitely wasn't bright enough.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jo6406
Prague
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed there for two nights last week and although everything was spic and span then I was disappointed by the advertised free Wi-Fi which didn't connect to the internet.
To advertise free Wi-Fi means (to me) that you are going to be able to access the internet, otherwise there's not much point. It didn't work on the Friday night although I tried constantly, and then when I asked what was wrong on the Saturday morning then I was assured that although the connection from the room I was in was a bit dodgy then I could bring my laptop to the main area and it would work.
It didn't. Two wireless networks detected and although they both connected then still no internet access.
So the kind lady at reception offered the use of the main pc, which worked fine.
That evening (a wedding reception) then I tried again from my smartphone but STILL no internet access, although the other receptionist assured me that everyone else could access it.
But no. I asked at least 8 of the other guests whether they could access the internet and none of them could. They had all been fobbed off with the same " well everyone else can access it" excuse too.
This is just bad. If you have a problem offering this service then tell your guests that it isn't working and offer a tiny gesture in compensation such as an extra sausage with their Full English Breakfast. Or baked beans.

Which brings me to my second niggly and undoubtedly trivial complaint: A Full English Breakfast should include baked beans, there is no excuse for not having them. There's no worldwide shortage and they're cheap since you can buy a tin for 9p as far as I know.

Maybe they had tried and failed to order them over their Wi-Fi internet connection.

Lastly: The twin room I was staying in had about enough room for one or two suitcases, and since it was a twin room then you'd expect two people to be staying there and hence allow for the two suitcases and two pieces of hand baggage. This was like flying with Jet2 where you need to pay extra for a seat. It would have been easier to stand up if I could have slept in a vertical position.

The beds were fine, but would have been better if I could have got to them without having to clamber over my own luggage.

My sister wasn't too impressed by the hair dryer provided, describing it as "Victorian", which is a big word for her.

So all in all, then it was distinctly average.

Room Tip: Probably stay in the main body of the hotel rather than the "Garden rooms" Nearer to rece...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank WillRos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We came to stay here as it was close to the imperial war museum and Cambridge. I am very glad we did. Excellent staff, superb food and a very nice room for a very fair price. This place is full of character and we loved it.

• Stayed September 2012
West Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

This was our third visit to Duxford Lodge. On arrival we were greeted with a warm and friendly welcome, and given the keys to our executive room which was on the third floor, the room was lovely, very spacious, but unfortunately as the room was on the top floor there were only skylight windows which would not have been a problem but as I suffer from claustrophobia did not feel comfortable not been able to look out without standing up. The lady on Reception was very understanding and extremely helpful and offered me two other rooms to look at, the second of which was perfect and had a view over the front of the hotel and the garden. The room was very clean and bright and the bed extremely comfortable, there were tea and coffee facilities provided.
The bathroom was again very clean, the only downside being the shower was a little tricky to get the correct temperature.
We could not find fault with the food, Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice, and my full english was delicious. Evening meal was delicious and it was nice to relax in the bar and make our choice from the menu beforehand.
The hotel has a lovely relaxed feel to it and the staff are all a credit to the hotel. We will definately be back for a fourth visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VeronicaJ4
Ringwood, Hampshire,UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Thought I would write to say thanks for making my recent stay so relaxing. Although the hotel was full on at least two of the nights, the service in the Paradis, and within the hotel generally, was never less than first class. My room was just what I hoped, being executive on the top floor it was larger than the norm, and I could spread out all the photo equipment that I had with me. OK, so there was no lift but I was asked if I needed help with luggage.

The food, even the sandwich when I arrived mid afternoon, was beautifully presented and both breakfast and dinner were always cooked to perfection. Smoked salmon first course was excellent, as was the duck. The rib steak, was without doubt one of the best I have eaten, and I have been to the USA numerous times and they profess to know how to prepare and cook steaks, this was very good indeed.

A great, non corporate, comfortable and convenient hotel. Well done to all.

I suspect that this hotel would suit all travellers, be they business or hoidaying.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are quiet and more spacious.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Dennis W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duxford
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10
The Cricketers' Arms
The Cricketers' Arms
#2 of 3 in Saffron Walden
Ibis Cambridge Central Station

Been to Duxford Lodge? Share your experiences!