“Good food in a nice atmosphere.”

The John Barleycorn
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Duxford
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The John Barleycorn remains a very traditional English pub, serving some of the best kept ales in the country. It also enjoys an excellent reputation for serving the very best in genuine home prepared and cooked meals. We also provide accommodation for those you would like to rest after a meal.
Reviewed May 9, 2013

As I was attending a car auction at the IWM Duxford, about 2 miles away, I anticipated that my friend and I would be in need of a meal on completion so I booked a table at The John Barleycorn in Duxford village.
The pub is a 'good old tradional English pub' in the heart of the village. Car parking is available but could run out if the pub is busy but I suspect you could park on the road if needs be.
Inside the pub there is a nice 'village pub' atmosphere. The surroundings are very pleasant although I'm not convinced they are all entirely original. I suspect some of that dreadful modernisation that the 70's demanded was carried out at that time and this has subsequently been 'undone' and the place restored to how it was albeit with a few 'faux' pieces but this has all been well done and in no way detracts from the atmosphere. This pub is likely to have been one of the 'locals' to the fighter squadrons at Duxford during WWII and, being of a romantic disposition, one can almost hear the banter and revellry of those brave chaps as you sit at your table.
Food: A good selection of meals are available, I had a medium rare rib-eye steak which was cooked to perfection. There was a good quantity of accompanying veg which was also excellent, that is, it wasn't cooked into oblivion. I can't recall the prices but it wasn't staggering by comparisson to other pubs I have visited.
This was all washed down with two pints of the best Timothy Taylor ale I have ever had.
All in all I can well recommend this as a place to eat and drink.

1  Thank Paulcox1

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Booked a table ahead. It wobbled and spilt drinks. Sunday roast, both beef and lamb meats were tasteless, watery gravy and the yorkshires burnt. Service was ok considering it was busy but they forgot to serve one of our party a coffee but it appeared on the bill.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Used to come here a few years back but it went downhill.
In the area again SUnday afternoon - website said did food all day SUnday and this was confirmed when we phoned a few days before our visit.

Arrived around 3.30 - garden looking a little tired. Interior much as we had remembered it.
No sign of anyone eating - fears confirmed by young cheerful female barperson - food starts again at 5.00

We had a drink and considerd our options. Decided if menu looked promising we would stay.
Mid mistake of ordring 2nd round of drinks from grumpy male bar person. Whwn I asked to have a look at the menus he grunted that he would bring them out to us 'nearer the time'.

I said we wanted to look now and he said ok but made no move to get them. I told him not to forget it - if its that much trouble to hand over a menu goos knows what its like when it comes time to cook the food

2  Thank beeble1022
Reviewed April 12, 2013

It's not often nothing is wrong with a place, and it's even rarer that everything exceeds your expectations and delights you. Accommodation, food and service all exceeded my expectations.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Excellent superior 'pub grub' and fast friendly service. Booking reccomended. Some great cask ales too.