“Wedding = perfect”

Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge
Ranked #2 of 2 Duxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I got married at the Red Lion last weekend, and the day went perfectly. The staff went above and beyond to answer all my queries and to provide all that was asked for in a very timely manner. I have had lots of very positive feedback from guests about the food and the venue in general. The day went off without a hitch and Jonathon from the Red Lion made sure to check in to make sure we were happy with everything, there was a constant presence without it being intrusive. I would recommend this to anyone as a venue for a wedding.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Firstly, congratulations from all of us here at the Red Lion.

I was humbled by your comments and bursting with pride that my staff delivered a memorable experience on your big day.

Thank you for your custom, it is greatly appreciated and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We came from the north west to visit my family who had booked a table for evening meal. we thought the food quality did not match the prices charged. When requested what childrens meals they have we were disappointed to be told they were just a smaller version of the adults meals which were not acceptable. We will not be eating here again!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback.

I was disappointed to read that your experience with our hotel was not to your satisfaction. We have a very positive reputation for food, beverage and events however we have clearly failed you and not shown ourselves in a positive light.

The children’s food is anything half the size from the main menu which gives children over 25 main course items to choose from. We take your feedback on board and will be introducing a childrens menu very soon.

I hope you change your mind and return to the Red Lion so you can experience the changes for yourself.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We've eaten here a couple of times previously, the food has always been okay, but overpriced and under served.

Eating with guests from the adjoining hotel yesterday, I'd reserved in advance. Our table comprised three two place tables pushed together - nothing wrong with that, only they were different heights and wobbly. It would also have been pleasant if the person putting them together had noticed this, made adjustments and actually wiped the tables. I don't consider that this is special request - it's the sort of thing that we should expect as standard.

The food was okay. Just okay. My shrimp and crayfish salad starter comprised a rather long in the tooth mix of shrimp and crayfish and three sour and undressed lettuce leaves. Main course was full of flavour and well presented - with the exception of the limp rocket leaves used to garnish ........ I expect the kitchen staff to understand that garnishing with expired vegetables is a pointless exercise. The other diners in our party were complimentary about their meals although all agreed that they were overpriced for what was delivered and that the service was somewhat slack.

The absence of a menu for children is a small niggle although smaller portions of anything on the menu was available and the ubiquitous fish finger/ chicken nuggets and chips was offered by staff if required.

1  Thank hardascustard

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I apologise for the servers lack of thought with your table. This is very simple and not acceptable to get wrong especially when you are trying to eat food.

I am sorry your meal was not great and that shows a lack of consistency. I have brought this to the attention of the head chef so he can make swift improvements. All food is made in house and is fresh however we have let ourselves down here and in turn we have unhappy customers which is very concerning. You have my assurances this is not the normal standard of food you should expect from us.

Your feedback will allow us an opportunity to change those areas our customers are not happy with although i am very sorry it has happened to you.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I went for lunch in a party of three today. My first comment would be how expensive this place is; the beer is over £4 a pint and frankly the food for what you get is a 'rip off'. Two of our party had the 'cheese sandwich' with red onion chutney and roasted peppers. This was actually bits of bread with a disgusting mush on top. The skinny fries that accompanied the sandwiches (not actually sandwiches but bruschetta gone wrong) were like the crusty bits of waste from the bottom of the deep fat friar that usually gets discarded. They were simply foul. The other member of our party had a cheese sandwich that she had made 'off menu' - the bread was dry but the filling (cheese, tomato and cress) acceptable. A bowl of chunky chips was served that tasted fishy - it turns out they were cooked with the fish. They left a ghastly taste in the mouth. The coleslaw (or 'slaw' as it appeared on the menu, seemingly they have been watching too much 'Man v Food') was chopped far too coarsely and one of my poor dining partners could only manage one mouthful. The toilets were immaculate and the front of house staff were delightful. Overall, I shall not be eating here again and would be unable to recommend it.

1  Thank will t

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback.

Please accept my apologies for the catalogue of errors with your food.

The cheese sandwich is a twist on the norm however we certainly failed to ‘wow’ you on this occasion.

I can assure you the fish and chips are cooked seperatley. At no time is the same oil used for both.

We take your point on the coleslaw. We do this in house but we do require more quality control.

Thank you for your comments on our staff. I was pleased some aspects of the hotel were to your satisfaction however i urge you to return to experience the changes we are making first hand. We have failed you that much is clear however it is not the normal standard of service we give to customers.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Dinner with friends turned sour last night. We travelled from Cambridge, Saffron Walden and Newmarket to meet for dinner - we shouldn't have bothered. On arrival the parking situation was a joke. I've never had to pay and display at a pub before!
From the first drink, we were not allowed to order at the bar and take our drink to the table. What that was about goodness knows.
The main courses arrived with over enthused leaf arrangements for the meat eaters and a small garnish for the vegetarian. All was fairly tasty but nothing exceptional, with the duck and steak barely warm.
Desserts were ordered along with coffee, which was just as well. The coffees arrived quickly but after much prompting and 40+ minutes no sign of the desserts - which were only ice cream and the cheese board. Needless to say we cancelled the puds and requested the bill.
Overall the place was empty, so no excuse for poor service heaven knows what the kitchen does when a rush is on.
Don't bother to go here it would be quicker to hop on the train and eat in Cambridge.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank EastAngliaMiddy
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights, room 18 very small but adequate. Food and drink in my opinion was overpriced. Very handy for trains to London and Cambridge which we used to our delight. Staff friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gillian P
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Having stayed at this hotel before its refurbishment & the redevelopment of the site, we couldn't believe the difference. The original hotel has had a marvellous, sympathetic make-over & has been substantially extended with a light & airy atrium & dining area plus a large lawned outdoor area. The staff were extremely friendly & helpful. Our bedroom was well equipped with a comfortable bed & all mod cons, but would have benefitted from more storage space. The en-suite bathroom was very clean & well appointed. Breakfast was more than adequate & the evening meals were great. The hotel is ideally situated for Duxford Air Museum & also trains to Cambridge & London.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duxford
Duxford Lodge
The John Barleycorn
The John Barleycorn
#1 of 2 in Duxford
Orchard Pond Bed and Breakfast

Been to Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge? Share your experiences!