“Beautiful small modern room hotel”

Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge
Ranked #2 of 2 Duxford B&B and Inns
“Beautiful small modern room hotel”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

i quite suprise this kind of hotel exist in a country where most of the people posture is big and tall (more then 175cm).
the room is nice. modern and clean, but i notice most of the main door room tall is below 170cm (my height is 175).
I book two rooms in this hotel.
both room main door tall is below 170cm.
1st room bath room ceiling is just nice at my head, but if i stand on bathtub, my head will knock the ceiling.
2nd room bath room ceiling is height enough, but no bathtub.
the hotel restaurant/ bar is very good.
the hotel restaurant/ bar staff is very friendly.
the location is good, just in front of train station.
the hotel have small beautiful flat garden that children enjoy to run around.
if you go for holiday to cambridge, maybe there are other hotel near cambridge central or train station.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

I appreciate that the height of some areas of our building is lower than usual however this is the layout of our building and we feel this adds to the character of the building.

Your comments are very welcomed and it is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with our hotel. If returning to the area, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Ross Ferguson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Yeovil, Somerset
Reviewed June 13, 2013

OK, I realise that I booked a single (at least I hope the room was only designed for a single) but it was ridculously small. Don't get me wrong, well-fitted out, well-decorated and most things you would need, but jamming a room into the eaves was a little bit too much. Bathroom was a reasonable size (Room 11 - no shower) but the bath was ? you guessed it, very small. Also , how I was supposed to set out the kettle and drinks tray, secreted in the bedside table, was beyond me, so I left it. Room size is why it only gets 2 stars below, because they are well fitted/decorated.

On the up side, once I'd hung my stuff up on the hangars on the wall hooks (no room for a wardrobe), scuttled and slithered around the end of the bed, narrowly missing the TV (located low down due to the eaves) with my bottom, and got into the bed it was extremely comfortable with good quality bedding and great pillows. So I would have slept really well, but for the heat! Far too hot, so I opened the windows and casually drifted off to the constant roar of traffic on the A505 and the gentle hum of the regular trains. The hotel is built in the meeting point of the road and the railway track so you really can't avoid the noise, and the trains are electric so it is not too horrendous.

The hotel itself is an atractive older building and they have done a good job of refurbishment and fittings. Staff were all very pleasant, efficient and helpful so no complaints there.

Dinner was good and the breakfast was average. Only thing I would pick on was the price of their drinks - they have a bit of a monopoly in the village, so they think its OK to charge £3.25 for a Coke; I didn't (mind you I come from South Somerset so the price differntial may be my undoing).

If I was to stay in the village again I might think about the Holiday Inn Express (more modern, maybe bigger rooms with double glazing and aircon - I don't know this, I'm just surmising) and just eat at the hotel. I saw a number of groups/people doing exactly that as the HIE is right next door.

Village has nothing to see or do, so unless you have business locally (we did, at Duxford Airfield) not sure what would attract you here. My business picked up the cost, so I'm not sure, but I think it was around the £100 mark, so not cheap for a single, B&B.

Room Tip: Stay out of the eaves (rooms 11 & 12); although I don't know what the rest are like, they ma...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is an olde worlde style inn that has obviously been bought and renovated by The Holiday Inn express next door. The bedrooms have had to be created from the original small low beamed rooms and my bedroom was very small indeed. - only just enough room for the double bed and very tiny bathroom. The shaver plug was broken and the curtains did not keep out the light. I ate a meal in the restaurant. This was OK, prices but service was a little slow - the staff were friendly but rather rushed with too much to do. Breakfast was basic and serve yourself for most inc tea and coffee but cooked breakfast was nice. The same one member of staff doing everything. I returned at 11pm one of the nights only to find everywhere locked up and staff had gone to bed. There is nothing to tell you what to do to get your room key which is locked behind the bar. In desperation I went round to the Holiday Inn next door and it was only then that I realized that they were in fact the same establishment. Everything seems to be done to make max profit - cant blame them but they need to show value for money as well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Martin W
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

My sincere apologies for the issue with the front door system. This is something you should have been made fully aware of upon check in to the red lion.

We have fixed the shaver socket. We did not know until you brought this to our attention that there was an issue with this.

I assure you, our customers are very important to us. We are here to make a profit however this has to be in line with outstanding service. We cannot have one without the other.

It leaves me very sad indeed to have failed you. We clearly have area's to improve which is a challenge we are eager to face.

I hope when returning to the area in the future you will stay with us so you can experience for yourself the changes we have made.

Ross Ferguson

Travelers are raving about these Duxford hotels

London
Reviewed May 28, 2013

A wonderful old hotel/inn, plenty of character from the outside and even more on the inside. The bedrooms vary in size and shape but your guaranteed a great nights sleep. The food was excellent, the staff very polite and friendly. Great choice of drinks from the bar, some might say a little expensive but that is hotel prices no matter where you stay. The hotel was busy as the local Duxford air show was taking place, this did fill up the inn rather quickly but had no impact on the service given to us. This is a little gem in the right place. A 30 minute walk to Duxford Airfield or a 2 minute walk to the train station then a 9 minute train ride in to Cambridge. Being close to the station had no impact on our sleep, you could not here the trains.

I would recommend giving this place a try, great for couples or groups wishing to explore what is on offer locally or in Cambridge. Would definitely return to the Red Lion.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gooner1963
Cambridgeduxford, Manager at Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback.

I was delighted as well as honoured to receive your praise.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

While visiting Cambridge we stayed at the Red Lion in Whittlesford. This hotel is build on a very old pub and as such has lot of querks. We had to step through a 4-foot door to get to our room. The room itself is nothing grand but the bed was quite confortable and we were able to sleep fine. We had breakfast at the hotel as this was included and it was ok, the coffee was filtered the food was fine.

I would recomend this hotel to anybody looking for a slightly better than bargin basement stay.
I have eaten at this pub before and from previous experence would recomend the evenng meals.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rod B
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback on our hotel.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us.

If your back in the area again, we very much hope we will be welcoming you back to the Red Lion.

Yeppoon
Reviewed May 8, 2013

A delightful old hotel close to the old Duxford airfield (and now home to the Imperial War Museum's collection of old aircraft). Rooms clean and well appointed. Some doors are low (reflecting the age of the place) - so watch your head. Staff friendly. Food good wine list small and many selections were absent! Brekkie good but again a singular kipper when the menu said kippers!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old part of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NigelandCarol B
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feedback.

I was very pleased to read your stay with us on the whole was enjoyable.
Apologies for the typo on the breakfast menu, we will get this changed.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed "over the way" in the Holiday Inn Express for 1 night but ate dinner and breakfast in the Red Lion. The menu had dishes that you would not normally find on a pub menu - e.g. lambs sweetbreads on the starter menu. Everything was cooked perfectly, the service was excellent and the meal was not expensive. The pub itself has been refurbished in a way that preserves the historic feel without that "getting in the way of" modern expectations.
The full English breakfast sets you up for the day!
Next time I'll be staying in the Red Lion!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lynne S
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank your or taking the time to review our hotel.

We were delighted to read of your satisfaction with our food and services.

The Lamb sweetbreads was an idea our head chef and local butcher had when discussing our new spring menu and with lamb bang in season currently it was a good way to promote this cut of meat.

The red lion has 18 bedrooms all of different shapes and sizes so we will have one to accommodate your requirement when you return to the area in the future.

Thanks for your custom.

Ross Ferguson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duxford
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10
#18 of 36 in Cambridge
The Gonville Hotel
The Gonville Hotel
#2 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge? Share your experiences!