“Dinky” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Duxford B&B and Inns
Herefordshire
“Dinky”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

The Red Lion is a very old coaching inn which cowers at the back of a vast station car park over which a Holiday Inn Express hotel stands sentinel. It has been bullied into submission by modernity, and now caters for the more widely-built customer in terms of characterless dining and drinking areas. Conversely the bedrooms are a triumph of design over space. Room 18 is mainly occupied by a very comfortable double bed, there is a miniscule shower room, but two people would fall out if they had to spend a night here, both out of the bed and with each other. As a bedroom, what it lacks in space it compensates with a iPod dock, a good size TV, and evidence of the clever people who constructed timber-frame buildings 300 years ago. One does have a choice - The Red Lion charges £79 for B&B, and the bacon and egg for breakfast was excellent. The Holiday Inn next door charges £119 and the breakfasts are unexciting. One night in either place would be enough.

Room Tip: Ask for a room bigger than 48 sq. feet, they will either overlook the railway line or the car park a...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your very constructive review.

We have modernised the red lion not because we felt inadequate compared to the buildings around us, more out of necessity. We were at pains to ensure the building’s character was left intact even after our modern spin was added.

We have 18 bedrooms all different sizes and i am sure we would have one you would find comfortable.

Thank you for the comments on our breakfast, all the produce is locally sourced to ensure the most important meal of the day leaves you refreshed and ready for the challenges to come.

We do hope you return, we have a room for you and a warm welcome would await.

Ross Ferguson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

We had a very good lunch at The Red Lion, Whittlesford Bridge. We were greeted in a friendly, professional manner and seated quickly. There was a good choice on the lunch menu and we had an excellent meal - freshly cooked, hot, tasty, plentiful and served on hot plates. The succulent steak and Stilton pie was crammed with good quality beef, and the accompanying fresh vegetables were cooked well. The fresh haddock with wholegrain mustard sauce was delicious. Yann, the restaurant manager, was attentive, as were other staff. We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It is very pleasing to read your comments. The food is all locally sourced produce ensuring we give customers a real taste of Cambridgeshire.

Our Restaurant Supervisor Yann is a very attentative chap and we are very proud of his efforts.
I am delighted to see you will return and I assure you the next time will be even better than your first visit.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I held my 50th birthday party at the Red Lion on Saturday 16th March 2013 and had the best night of my life. I was so impressed by the way the staff looked after me and ensured I was happy with the arrangements right throughout the evening. They picked up on the smallest of things, for example, someone commented to their friend that there wasn't any vegetarian food on the buffet table (my fault for not ordering any) and arranged for a special meal to be made for my guest. My guests all commented on what a brilliant venue it was for a party and how wonderful the food was. The following morning, my guests that had stayed over at the hotel for the night, were looked after equally as well by the breakfast team. I can't recommned the Red Lion highly enough.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Roz

Thank you for your feedback.

We are very pleased to have made your 50th birthday so memorable.

Your review proves how capable the team are of making a customers visit special.

We know you have choices and we are humbled you picked our hotel for your special day,

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

I am the secretary of a group which held its AGM at the Red Lion on Saturday March 16th 2013. Everything was ready and organised for the meeting as we had agreed, and the Garden Room was a very comfortable venue for our group of 40 members. There was ample parking for everyone. Members appreciated the range of hot and cold drinks, homemade biscuits and fruit which were available for them.

Those members who had used the hotel on the night before the meeting reported that they were very happy with the accommodation.

Almost all members stayed for lunch after our meeting and were able to order individually from the menu at the start of the meeting. Our meeting finished earlier than expected, and the staff were able to bring service forward by 45 minutes form the agreed time with no problems. We had sole use of a good sized room near the bar area, and this was much appreciated.

The staff on duty went out of their way to make us welcome and to ensure that all of our requirements were met.

At the end of the event, our members were unanimous in wishing to rebook for our next meeting

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I was very pleased to read of your satisfaction with our brand new conference facilities. This is a new concept we have implemented and it is great to hear it went well for you.

Whilst the venue is new, it is the staff who make the Red Lion what it is and i am glad we were able to demonstrate how well our people treat our customers.

I hope to welcome you and your group back to our hotel in the near future.

Tamworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

stayed for a weekend while visiting the area. the staff were so helpful and friendly.
we stayed for evening meal and although the resturant was busy the food was top quality and well worth the money.
we stayed for the Sunday calvery and the food was of the highest standered.
will definately go again while on a trip to the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Was here for Christmas party, overall the party night was ok but so many little things let it down which means I would not stay here again.
The room was comfortable and clean, however the cobwebs in the bathroom were not appealing. The bath was too small to sit in for a bath there was no shower curtain and the height of the ceiling meant at 5ft 6in I could not stand up straight. I did manage a shower of some kind which was awful, unpleasant and made the bathroom into a swimming pool. I understand it is an old hotel but clearly this space was not useable as a bathroom for a guest paying £60 a night.
During breakfast there was no hot water for tea and by the time this did actually arrive I had finished my breakfast, this is not really what you are looking for in a hotel.
I had complained but on deaf ears the staff seem to be uncaring and I guess it is the location that keeps people returning.
Whilst the food is very good, the wine prices are horrific, more what you expect in the Ivy in London and this is certainly not in the same league, on the whole very disappointing!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Squeake
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Just had a visit to duxford airfield quilt show stopped here for lunch.
I had a simple 8oz rump steak very tasty but covered in pepper (I like pepper) but for the next few hours just needed to drink water,
My wife had the chicken burger once again covered in pepper.
Although both off us enjoyed the meal but for two simple meals spoiled with pepper,
Reported it when paying I don't think the bar man thought it was serious.
We will certainly call again (even when working in the area as about two mins from m11.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

I was pleased to read that your experience was positive.

Reading the review with the head chef, he has gone back to his team and highlighted the issues with too much pepper. It is an easy fix and clearly the kitchen brigade were being far too extravagant with the pepper. It is the steak you want to taste not the pepper. Considering we buy our meat from the local butcher with all the meat actually reared in our area it is a major selling point so too much seasoning ruins the taste.

I am glad to see you are returning in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back to the red lion.

Ross Ferguson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duxford
Duxford Lodge
The Gonville Hotel
The Gonville Hotel
#2 of 36 in Cambridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,612 reviews

Been to Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge? Share your experiences!