“Lovely pub - shame about the service”

Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge
Ranked #2 of 2 Duxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights while attending a local wedding. Know the area really well and have never been here before.
Booked the Red Lion feature room for the space as we have a toddler. Room was ok in size, thought it would of been a lot bigger. The bath was a nice treat, strange it being in the bedroom but it was nice. Very noisy as the air con fans are right outside the windows, and it was that hot that we had to keep the windows open.
Disappointed that they did not do room service as once my son was asleep I was stuck in the room.
Breakfast was lovely the first morning and shocking the second day when it was busier! We had are orders taken and I had to ask what had happened to our food after 30 minutes! I had a hungry child and they didn't even bring over any toast!!! We then had to wait another 10 minutes so they clearly had forgotten us!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 28, 2012

The Red Lion has a very attractive decor, with outside seating including deckchairs. It was better than the average pub grub and the prices reflect this. Service was very good and efficient. A nice touch was the snack you buy to eat while you choose your meal from the menu - we had pork crackling with apple sauce (very nice). Starters averaged between £5-£6. Main meals around £11-£14. Two of our party had lamb chops and mash - they were large full size chops, not cutlets as we were expecting. We did find this rather challenging! There is no childrens menu, but they can have almost anything off the main menu. Our grand daughter had macaroni cheese and garlic bread - she had a huge bowl of pasta and 6 large slices of garlic bread! Shall certainly return.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lindylou146
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

I will speak with the kitchen regarding children’s choices. This is something we need to implement.

The child’s portion did seem very large in fact too large and an adult may have struggled. We are happy to offer big portions, we want customers to be full and therefore experience value for money however when a portion comes out the size of a cruise liner then perhaps we need to show a little more common sense.

I am glad to see you will return and we look forward to welcoming you back when you’re next in the area.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Just returned from a one night stay there. Initially Booked into holiday inn express, after checking in there they told us our rooms was at the red lion on the same site. Really pleased it was! Gorgeous building, small cosy rooms but practical, full of charm but with a modern twist. Staff really friendly and rate included a yummy breakfast in the morning. Free car parking too and only a 10 min drive into Cambridge, a few min drive from Duxford air museum. Would strongly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to supply me with your constructive feedback.

What a fantastic review for our hotel. We are very pleased you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed here during the last few weeks, and on both occasions my stay has been very good. The rooms are very clean tidy and modern and very comfortable. The staff have always been very helpful and professional even when the computer booking in/checking out system decides its on a go slow! The food and drinks here are also very good but in my opinion over priced (£4.65 for a pint of San Miguel).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on our hotel.

I was very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with our hotel. Your feedback was forwarded to the team members and it is very encouraging for us all when we do a great job in our customer’s eyes.

You’re correct about the san Miguel choice and this is something we will try and replace hopefully with something local.

We hope to welcome you back in the future and thanks for your words of encouragement.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here in July and it was heavenly. Beautiful building, friendly staff, delicious food and very good value for money.

It saddens me to read the negative comments written below and is genuinely a shame. As the comments said it must have been going through refurbishment at the back end of last year because when we stayed it was clean, freshly refurbished, full of helpful staff and the food was wonderful. You really couldn't ask more from a weekend away. If you want a relaxing, comfortable, enjoyable weekend away then this is the place to stay. The scottish lady on reception, Rachel was particularly helpful and very flexible with changing our breakfast meal to lunch. I am an avid traveler and this is one of the best places i've ever stayed in, I will be returning very soon.

Room Tip: There is only 18 rooms in this boutique hotel. I stayed right at the top. It was very quiet and rela...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on our hotel.

I was delighted to read you had enjoyed your time in our hotel. There has been feedback for the hotel that has been of the negative verity however please don't be sad, from the our point of view it is something we need to learn from and I am would like to think that your positive experience was down to other reviewers telling us where we are going wrong.

I hope you will return in the near future and from us all at the hotel, thank you for your words of encouragement and for staying with our hotel.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

My 2 best men and I stayed here the day before my wedding and it was hit and miss. The rooms were incredibly hot and, although this was no fault of the hotel, I couldn't help but feel just a desk fan or something in the room would have made a huge difference. In the twin room the shower wasn't great and there were no curtains meaning my best men were awake at sunrise and in the double room the towel holder/heater was halfway out of the wall which seemed dangerous to me. The positive was the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and a discount was given when a complaint regarding the curtains was made. Fudge in the room is a great touch and really nice but breakfasts no more than average other than the sausage. Some of it seemed microwaved (beans and mushrooms) despite it not seemingly busy. Nice selection of fruit though. All in all just a bit average really and frustrating as you can't help but feel if the finer details were sorted it would be very nice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

The rooms being hot is an issue due to the nature of the building however your feedback about fans was very valid indeed and rooms now have fans for summer and oil based heaters was winter.

The curtain issue has been resolved, these are now in place after an issue with the previous curtains.

I can assure you the food is not 'Ping Meal’ variety, everything is cooked from fresh and cooked to order. This means it will take slightly longer however rather that than give customers something micro waved which you could do at home.

Thank you for the comments regarding the staff, customer service is something we constantly monitor but something you can’t really train. Staff are friendly, happy and welcoming or they are not. Thankfully in our case we have genuinely decent hardworking people, not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but we can never fault their effort or attitude.

IF you return you will find the improvements you suggested and thanks for bringing this to our attention, your feedback is crucial and very welcomed.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed in the Holiday Inn Express next door and visited the pub for dinner. Wow what a find! The food was absolutely delicious and the portion sizes huge. The pork crackling and apple sauce appetiser was fabulous. The service was just exceptional with staff constantly checking on us and bringing napkins, water, etc to our table without us even having to ask. Unfortunately we don't live in the area but if we did this would become a regular place for dinner and drinks for us. I was a little disappointed that the menu on their website is out of date and had changed but the new menu offering was excellent. There was free wifi available which was great for us as we'd have to pay to use it in our hotel next door. The rooms looked beautiful but I would be wary of staying there because of the close proximity of the motorway and train line. The HI Express was modern and well soundproofed so this didn't bother us but The Red Lion is an old building and I can imagine noise could be a problem. For food though, very highly recommended and I'm looking for an excuse to return to the area just so I can visit!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridgeduxford, General Manager at Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review.
I was very pleased to read your comments. Please accept my apologies for the menu issue on line, we constantly change the menus and we must have missed the update for our website.
The rooms at the red lion are also quiet, we do not see a great deal of issues with the noise of the trains as there are mostly electric powered so make less noise than the normal chains most people are used to hearing.
I will pass on your comments to the team and I hope to welcome you back to the red lion in the future

Ross Ferguson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Duxford
Duxford Lodge
The John Barleycorn
The John Barleycorn
#1 of 2 in Duxford
Orchard Pond Bed and Breakfast

Been to Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge? Share your experiences!