“Overpriced, which is a shame as the building is lovely”

The Golden Ball Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Boxworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were treated to a meal here by close friends to celebrate our birthdays. The building is tastefully decorated and the staff were relaxed. We enjoyed drinks in the garden ahead of being shown to our table.

The food is typical pub food and is very expensive for the quality and portion size. Drinks are also expensive compared to other local establishments. The desserts were the star of the meal; good quality and very flavoursome.

On a Saturday evening the restaurant was very quiet and i and sure that a review of the pricing would result in more people eating here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Came here for a meal with the wife . Found food to be at a very poor standard ! And grossly overpriced !! When asked if food was frozen and simply made hot waitress didn't even know ??!?? When asking at bar if hotel was on trip advisor bar man simply rolled eyes and said yes ! Didn't finish either meal. Canolloni was very watery and tasteless.no checkback was made at my table and noone seemed bother hat the meals were hardly touched and I feel its because I young they don't feel I'm worth the effort!! Would never come back and will tell people top stay away !!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Delightful location. Very quiet and peaceful - we had a really good night's sleep. The owners were short staffed and very busy but were friendly and cheerful and really looked after us. The baguette lunch on Saturday was excellent with a good menu choice for dinner. Shame we weren't able to stay for Sunday lunch. Easy to get into Cambridge with Park & Ride. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This place is open all day on a Sunday which we love because we can pitch up with friends at 3 or 4pm without booking and get a decent Sunday lunch. It has a pleasant garden, in a village setting and I can't think of an occasion when we have ever been disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have stayed here twice now and always get a great nights sleep. Rooms are clean and adequate with comfortable beds. Breakfast is very good. Overall a great value. The staff are very nice and helpful. On my first visit they drove my colleague to the main train station in Cambridge, a significant distance, at no charge saving him a lot of time and the expense of a taxi. Truly above and beyond any standard service. I will be staying here again when ever I can.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I ordered a chicken/mushroom strogonoff and my wife a scampi and fries platter.
The strogonoff was NOT a proper sauce but more like a chicken stew with gravy. The rice was fine. At £13 grossly overpriced. The scampi was extremely hard. Maybe because it was over fired. The fires were obvisiously frozen then deep fired. Again at £12.95 I fell grossly overpriced.
I am fed up with these supposedly quality restraunts deep frying frozen food with a little garnish and saying chef is corned bleau trained.....rubish!

Room Tip: They did have rooms.... which I did not stay at..... but when asking the cost felt that £90 BB a bi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I thought The Golden Ball was lovely. Great value for money, staff were brilliant very helpfull and friendly excellent breakfast. Will be staying there again and I would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2012

Been to The Golden Ball Hotel? Share your experiences!