“Very impressed”

The Golden Ball Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Boxworth
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Met a friend for dinner at the Golden Ball in Boxworth and I was very impressed. There was a pleasant and relaxed feeling to the place although it did seem busy. The staff were quick to make sure we had drinks and menus but we weren't rushed to place orders and someone came over to the table and talked through a fairly extensive list of specials for the day. I ordered the fish pie which was absolutely delicious and properly made with plenty of fish! The main course was very filling so we didn't have dessert!

We were the last diners to leave but at no time were we rushed or made to feel we were causing a delay. I think this is the best pub I have been to this year in the Cambridge area and I am planning a return visit soon!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

This is a nice pub and the staff are very friendly and attentive however, that can't disguise the very old fashioned menu and very average food. I had deep fried calamari which was greasy (as if it had been cooked in a fryer that wasn't hot enough). It was also bland beyond belief and the batter lacked crunch. It weirdly came with a small deformed bread roll on the plate and then a separate plate of bread and butter turned up. My partner had the whitebait which was also really greasy and lukewarm. We both decided to have roast beef for our main course. We asked for it rare but we didn't get it. It was overcooked and smothered in gravy that was obviously general purpose - ie the same gravy served whatever roast you had. It certainly didn't taste like beef gravy. The Yorkshire pud was also obviously mass produced and not very nice. The veg was overcooked too.

The menu is boring. It could be said to be traditional and it will certainly appeal to the unadventurous. Typical pub grub which there is nothing wrong with if it is done well and reasonably priced. It was neither.

Having said all of this, the place is obviously popular but you really need to be over 65 to go there! I think they've tailored their menu to this particular clientele.

So, if you like contemporary food and an adventurous menu don't bother visiting. If you are a traditionalist then you may enjoy it.

A real shame that the friendly and extremely helpful staff were let down by the food.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

3rd time here with family. Birthday meal and what a meal!! Great starter, and main meal only down side was they had my favorite 2 sweets! Bread and butter pudding, apple and blackberry crumble and I was 2 full to have one of them!. (No starter next time.) Staff was good and polite, and the place was heaving, so was not to bothered that we had too get our own drinks once.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

We met family for Sunday lunch at the Golden Ball. The pub itself was lovely, all old beams and exposed brickwork We were warmly greeted and shown to our table. The restaurant was very busy but this didn't comprise the service. We opted for the roasts that were on offer (beef and loin of pork). The food was piping hot and there was plenty of it. The waiting staff were attentive without being pushy. A very enjoyable dining experience and we all agreed to make it a regular meeting place.

1  Thank MartinigirlThetford
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This is basically a nice pub that does very nice (but slightly pricey) pub food, very well.

Some nice touches such as trivial pursuit boxes on the table got conversations flowing, and it was busy so lots of ambience. Menu is a little too "pub predictable" and lacking a little imagination and flair for the price. Family home favourites such as liver and sausages really don't tempt me on a night out and if I am choosing steak then I am uninspired with the menu. Nice to see a savoury suet pudding on the menu in a nod to traditional British cooking. Haddock fish cakes were perfectly nice but more could be done with flavour to make them terrific. Food well cooked but service welcoming and friendly, but a little slapdash, and erring ever so slightly on the patronising. Having to ask for a fork is not on!

Great place to take people that are a little terrified by food or who like traditional British food as they will get good honest predictable fare.