“Never Again”

Ranked #5 of 7 Restaurants in Hurley
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I thought it was just me, so decided to try it again for lunch. The set lunch was very nice and great value, however...... The attitude from the mature lady who served us was appalling. She made us feel that we were taking up her valuable time that should be spent doing other things. She was curt, unsmiling and perfunctory. So if you like good food with bad attitude this is the place for you.

1  Thank Willy W

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We've eaten here several times over the past couple of years and ate again a week or two ago. Following an excellent meal I thought it was time I put my comments into Trip Advisor only to find there are several negative reviews. This is not a place to go for a skin full of lager and a sandwich!! However if you want excellently cooked food at very reasonable prices in a relaxed but sophisticated setting this is the place to go. We also found the service was excellent.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This pub is situated in a beautiful location. After having walked casually dressed along the river from the local campsite, 5 of us arrived at THe Black Boys Inn at 6 pm. There wasn't anybody in the beer garden but a member of staff was and we enquired if the place was open. She gave a one word firm answer, "NO". We then enquired what time the pub opened and was again given a sharp retort "SEVEN". She was definitely not "mein host" and the look on her face said it all that she did not want the likes of us in her award winning restaurant. On principle I will never give this place my custom again having previously enjoyed a drink on other occasions in their overpriced pub. I am certain they are losing a lot of trade from the wonderful camp and caravan park down the road

1  Thank Plot66
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were stuck in atraffic jam for ages until we eventually saw a sign about the festival at Henley. Our party included a diabetic who needed to eat so we turned back and visited the first pub that we saw advertising food-The Black Boys. First impressions were that it was comfortably and tastefully decorated.An adequate but not vast choice was presented as a special menu or a la carte. We had something from both. Everything was hot, tasty and well presented and the service was fine.
A very enjoyable lunch was had by all.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Searched, read reviews and booked a lunch for my mothers 60th birthday from Australia. Mums favourite food is french, so went against heading to Bray for a birthday lunch and booked Black Boys Inn. We arrived a little early, so asked if we could have a drink near the bar first. We were promptly told we could sit outside, which we declined as it was freezing. So we were promptly seated at our table. It was 12.30 pm on a saturday and there was no one seated at the tables near the bar and only one table filled within the restaurant. We didn't understand why we couldn't have a drink first but did what we were told and was seated at our table.

I mentioned it was my mothers birthday (also mentioned upon booking from Australia) and my mums favourite dish was Coq au vin. The lovely young waitress told us that unfortunately that was not on the menu at the moment. A shame but sure mum would find many other tempting treats on the menu to order. An older lady then came over and included "on the website it does say it is a sample menu only" in a very defensive rude tone then walked away. We were a bit taken back when we hadn't made a fuss over it not being on the menu.

After a few moments, the older lady came back to take our orders. Mum had chosen her starter and main, to be then told- the starter was no longer available, however pigeon was available. Mum hesitated for a moment to make a decision whether she would try pigeon, the lady then promptly advised "we haven't killed anyone yet Madam" again in a very rude arrogant tone.

It was very obvious by this stage that the lady was not one little bit interested in providing us with any customer service we were quite obviously putting her out being in her restaurant.

I had ready many of the great reviews about this restaurant, and I honestly think think they obviously think they no longer have to make any effort whatsover.

Mum didn't even get a "happy birthday" - a normal custom in Australia when you book lunch for such a special birthday.

I ordered rabbit tagine, my rabbit was very tough. Mum ended up trying the pigeon despite the pushy arrogant rude waitresses comment and it was lovely. But I warn you, don't take even 20 seconds to try to make a decision once they have told you something is not on the menu despite providing you with this menu 3 minutes earlier!

I have honestly never written a review previously but this was such a shoking rude experience I am still so dissappointed.

4  Thank Dani R