“Lovely garden, super view, own chickens!”
Review of Black Boys Inn

Black Boys Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Restaurants in Hurley
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We just had drinks in the pretty garden, as we were 'checking out' the place as a future eating venue. The female owner was a little shirty and defensive, we were only asking whether they have any 'specials' in the evening - she said everything was special and was made fresh daily.

The little dining room is lovely but it is quite expensive (though the food quality probably warrants it) and we would struggle to find a main course we liked, other than steak. There are around 8 starters and perhaps 6-7 main courses, mostly fish. Reading the last feedback we may well try it one special occasion.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was quite surprised by the reviews on here as my recent dining experience was quite the opposite. The staff, including who I assume was the owner, were very friendly and welcoming, and helpful with our menu choices, as well as proudly explaining how a couple of the dishes were made.

I must admit I really do enjoy good food, and this is certainly what we all had the evening we visited. In fact I texted a few friends directly afterwards to recommend we all went there!

The restaurant is in a lovely location, nice decor and although the menu seemed a little limited, what they do cook is very high quality and everything tastes delicious.

Yes, it is expensive but for a nice treat or a special occasion it is well worth the splurge. We would definitely go back, in fact I can't wait!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Excellent cuisine but despite the 'Commander' moving 'back of house' the atmosphere remains a little stuffy.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stopped here with my family for lunch on the way to Henley, and we were shocked at how ill-mannered and unpleasant the staff were. I can just about excuse the over-priced menu, but there is no excuse for such vile customer service. The owner or manager who works in there is the most despicably rude woman I have ever had the displeasure of meeting.

Having decided to walk out before ordering, I cannot rate the food, but I do hope it is not as unrefined as the staff.

4  Thank Michael M
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Booked a table for three on a Saturday evening at 7.30 to 8pm. Arrived and we were offered drinks, to our surprise there was no one else in the restaurant on a Saturday evening in mid July.
We decided to wait a while to order and were badgered several times to make our choice. Just before 8pm the owner appeared behind the bar with a very false grin and asked if we would kindly order as we were the only guests and he wanted to go home.He said he would be "delighted" to cook for us or else we could leave. This is not a cheap restaurant, and with service and attitude like this we chose to leave and were then charged £18.30 for 3 G and T's.
The Black Boys Inn has a reputation for good but expensive food, but surly service. this exceeded our worst expectations. I will not go back even though I live less than half a mile away and will spread the word.

1  Thank David A