“Excellent lunch and good beer”

The Black Horse at Ireland
Reserve with OpenTable
The Black Horse at Ireland is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Shefford
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Black Horse is a family owned Inn with character and style set in a small hamlet in Bedfordshire. The Black Horse was built in the 17th Century, and although it has been updated and given a contempory style, it still holds its charm and character. With it's exposed original beams, inglenook fireplace and low ceilings, the bar is warm and welcoming - perfect for relaxing with a drink or a glass of wine. The restaurant consists of two distinct dining areas each offering their own unique style and atmosphere with either garden or courtyard outlooks. Our seasonally changed menu's use only the freshest ingredients sourced locally (where possible). The dishes are expertly prepared and presented by a team of highly qualified chef's.
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch and good beer”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The Black Horse is conveniently half-way between my son's home and ours, so we met to celebrate his birthday. They kindly had a card ready for him, and his dessert came with 'Happy Birthday' written in chocolate on the edge of the dish.

The food was delicious - a very clever trick to have three different roast meats as one option. The beef, lamb and pork were delicious, with crackling to die for! This was a wonderful meal and going to make it a repeat venue for future occasions.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank AntonyHurden

London, United Kingdom
“Really, really good”
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I loved it here. It's a bit in the middle of nowhere, but very picturesque. The outside is old and quaint but inside is fresh. I was impressed with the attitude of the staff - all too often you get indifferent service but here I really felt that they cared, which is a refreshing change! Food was excellent and the menu very varied. We were there for Sunday lunch and I had the pork (brilliant crackling!) followed by apple crumble - both were really good. My only regret of writing an excellent review on here is that more people will go and it will be harder to get a table! :o)

1 Thank johnnyfromtheblock
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Food”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was taken here on my 30th Birthday and I have to say wow!!!!

The prices are more than your average pub, but this is because this is ALOT more than your average pub. The service, food and ambience was excellent. You were made to fill that nothing was to much trouble.

The small touches such as the decoration on my pudding was lovely.

Will certainly be returning again

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank kez17
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“best night out for food for ages!!!”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Just been out to this restaurant last Friday and really really enjoyed the food (makes a change lol) had the special starter of goats cheese wrapped in parma ham with apple coulete which was a change for me although I love cheese then I had the steak which was perfection would love to eat here every night but unfortunately the budget and the wallet dont let me!!!!!!!!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Mandy C
Southam, Warwickshire
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Myself and 2 colleagues met up last evening for a pub meal and again chose The Black Horse.
Our cheery waitress ( loved the black number!) was well briefed on the menus and tempted us with Specials. I had the 2 x 6oz fillet steak. It was 2 beautifully presented sliced tail-ends, served with Dauphinoise potatoes and fresh vegetables. It was absolutely astounding! I mean, unbelievably good. I cannot remember a better steak ever. Ooooooh! Just delicious!!
If thast wasn't all, we each had the same sweet, a chocolate and ginger souffle with poached pear and home-made shortbread. Whooooo!! Eye-wateringly good. Any publican who moans about the economy would do well to vist places like this. Black Horse, you are a winner! Please pat your Head Chef on the back for us. Great respect! I cannot wait to go back again. They even have Tribute on draught...!!!

• Visited February 2013