“Quirky cafe”

Ranked #1 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Portsoy
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Situated right next to the old harbour in Portsoy we are open 7 days a week. Our menu includes freshly made soups, jacket potatoes, paninis, baguettes, sandwiches and toasties. Also a wide selection of locally produced and homemade bakes.
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
“Quirky cafe”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a place I would go back to. The service and surroundings are first class, you could spend a long time looking at all the quirky little items on display.
Not only that but the coffee and cake was just the biz.

aberdeen
“It does what it says on the label!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This quaint inn is on the foreshore of Portsoy and the couple who run it have an almost hippy or avant garde style. The food is excellent and the atmosphere is one of warmth and friendliness including to your dog which is unusual these days. A limited menu but they do evenings as well on certain days. The Cullen Skink is brilliant and the many nick nacks on sale make the place even more atmospheric. Sometimes there is folk music playing live. I can heartily recommend it.

Dufftown, Moray
“What a find a little Gem”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have lived up here in the North East of Scotland for over 12 years and have just found this perfect little Gem. Perfect location in a 16th Century harbour it offers excellent food, the Cullen Skink soup was undoubtedly the best I have ever tasted and the seafood pancake excellent, more than we could have ever expected. A great place to visit, eat and relax with great service and super food.

Portsoy, Scotland, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply excellent food”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Finally had the chance to try the new Dining experience on offer at the Beggars Belief after having booked and cancelled on quite a few occasions (the perils of running a Guest House). But the wait was well worth it. Fresh, quality local fish cooked to perfection, well presented in an atmospheric environment suitably reflecting the setting of the 17th Century Portsoy Harbour. We shall certainly be regulars in the future and we wish Davie and Lee all the success that they deserve with this venture - well done to you both.

Aberdeenshire
“Wonderful food in a fantastic atmosphere”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

As a local, I've been to Beggars Belief many times for a coffee and occasionally a yummy pancake but last night was my first chance to go for an evening meal. It certainly won't be the last. You know beforehand what's on the small menu and its the most fantastically fresh local seafood. I had some of the tastiest prawns ever with a light coriander mayonnaise and my mum had prawns cooked in garlic butter. Both starters were delicious and I had to physically restrain myself from mopping up all the left over butter with my bread. Glad I left room for the halibut, one of the best cooked pieces of fish I've had, cooked simply but accompanied with baby potatoes and a leak side dish that I could have demolished all on its own. I love the fact that you can bring your own drink and the value is exceptional at only £20 for 2 courses plus coffee. Gutted I didn't have space for pudding. If you love seafood then this place is well worth booking. Cosy atmosphere with great hosts.

• Visited May 2013