“You couldn't get a nicer location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Beck Hall Malham

Beck Hall Malham
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Malham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Maidstone
“You couldn't get a nicer location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Went with our 2 dogs and the room was amazing. So big and looked out onto the stream. Perfect. Booked our next visit there and then. The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Only one minor complaint. The tv was obstructed by the post on the 4 poster bed.

• Stayed May 2013
malhamtyke, Owner at Beck Hall Malham, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thanks for your review, We are indeed very fortunate in our location, it is the most beautiful countryside and would rival anywhere. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the facilities, also thank you for your strong praise and indeed for re-booking to come back to stay with us, we look forward to meeting you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Just arrived back from 5 night stay at The Beck Hall in Malham. Hubby and dog came along too. Accommodation (room) was what you would expect for the price and the fact that animals are allowed. Brilliant location, peaceful and idyllic surroundings. Breakfast good. Steve was a great host at breakfast time. Cosy lounge area to relax in at night, honesty bar a great idea and well stocked! Would recommend and will be back for seconds. Room was great, although bathroom really needs a revamp.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
malhamtyke, Owner at Beck Hall Malham, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments, we have the bathroom in question in our sights for revamping. It was really nice you stayed for 5 nights as we like to get to know our guests a little better sometimes Glad you enjoyed it and we would love to see you again.
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed at beck hall for two nights with our dog.absolutely wonderful. Did not want to come home.yes the weather was beautiful but the accommodation was so relaxing.yes our room was lovely,but bathroom not great.ready for revamp, but it would not stop us visiting again. Missing it already.staff so very friendly and made you feel at home and it was the best cooked breakfast we have ever had.will definitely be returning.if you want a peaceful getaway you must give it a try. Two excellent pubs in village.would recommend listers arms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
malhamtyke, Owner at Beck Hall Malham, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thanks for your praise, it is lovely you all enjoyed your stay with us, we maybe, obviously concentrate on the bed and breakfast bit of what we do, so it is nice to receive positive feedback.
Thanks again for your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Moray, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Based on other reviews, I expected this to be a great place to stay whilst completing the Pennine Way, but unfortunately I didn't have a good overall experience here. The first issue was the room I was given. It was in dire need of updating, most of the decor being from around two decades ago, the bed was lumpy and uncomfortable, the ensuite was very outdated and the shower temperature fluctuated drastically. The view out the window was of a steep grassy slope directly outside, where occasionally I could see a pair of legs walking by at close distance because it's a public walkway. Other than the room, I also had a problem at breakfast. I had asked if it was possible to have breakfast 15 minutes earlier than usual and was told to come downstairs at 0745. I understood that it might not be possible to serve early, and was completely okay with that. But when I came down at 0745 and sat in the dining room, I could hear people in the kitchen complaining about me. I sat for about 10 minutes and no one came out, but I could hear them talking about me and it kind of put a damper on my morning. I hadn't made any demands and would have had no problem with them saying "no" to an early breakfast.

I want to be really fair in this review. Everyone has an off day, and everyone complains about guests at some point. I have no criticism of that. But the owners and staff should be aware that what they say in the kitchen can clearly be heard in the dining room. In terms of the room, other people I spoke to at breakfast all had glowing compliments about their rooms which had been renovated and had amazing new showers and lovely views. So it seems like I was given a really bad room. I think it's entirely possible I would have given a much more positive review of Beck Hall if I had been given a better room and if I had not heard staff complaining about me.

On the positive side, the location is fantastic for the Pennine Way and for visiting Malham, the room was spacious, and the lounge room had an outstanding atmosphere with an open fire, lots of comfortable chairs, books, and an "honesty bar" where guests can have a drink and pay upon check-out. Would I stay again? Maybe. But I would certainly request one of the renovated rooms.

Room Tip: Request a room that has been renovated.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank fiona07
malhamtyke, Owner at Beck Hall Malham, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for your review, firstly unqualified apologies for your poor experience, we are disappointed you did not enjoy your stay. Now regarding the issues;
The room you stayed in is a standard double room, we decorated this room within the last 2 years, the problem perhaps is the room style is from the 70s, the room is at the back of the property and therefore has no real view, we reduced the price of this room last year when we redecorated in acknowledgement of this fact.
Maybe there was a misunderstanding regarding breakfast, the person on breakfast that morning was in fact me, I did at some point express embarrassment at the fact you had been sat for 10 mins with no-one noticing i.e. me!
Again I am very sorry if you assumed I was complaining only about yourself, when in fact it was my lacking.
You have, I feel been fair in your review overall, I hope the above goes someway as an explanation, If you ever decided to return to Malham we would be very pleased to try and make amends for your last stay, we understand that although there are 2 sides to most stories you did not enjoy your stay and that is what actually matters, not our response after the event. Please do contact us if you wish to return and we will make sure you enjoy it next time!
Thanks again for your feedback.
Mansfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed at Beck Hall for two nights on May day bank holiday weekend. We took our dog with us and was made very welcome,we were given a lovely room with a 4 poster bed everything was very clean and comfortable. The location of Beck Hall is only a stones throw from the centre of Malam which is a beautifull village,there is a river flowing through the property and they also have a tea room which is the guests breakfast room,but because we had our dog with us we had to have our breakfast in the guests lounge which was not a problam.all in all we had a wonderfull stay .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
malhamtyke, Owner at Beck Hall Malham, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, we do make guests pets welcome as much as possible, we have a few rooms which we keep for guests with pets and allow pets everywhere except the Dining room, but as you say for those pets which may be uncomfortable we set up breakfast in the Lounge. Thank you for your positive review and again we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay in Malham.
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

After walking around The Cove it was a haven for those tired feet. A cream tea in the sunshine was much appreciated. Set right beside the small stream it was an ideal location after a days walk.On the downside the toilets needed some refurbishment, but this should not detract from the ideal setting.

Room Tip: Sit outside if the weather is good enough
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
malhamtyke, Owner at Beck Hall Malham, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. Glad you enjoyed your Cream Tea and had a well earned relax in our streamside garden. Your comment about the amenities is noted and we have this in our plan to improve these this year. Thanks again for your kind words.
Katoomba, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed two nights and found Beck Hall to be welcoming and warm. Alice and the rest of the staff were really friendly. The breakfast was simple and hearty with generous servings of some tasty locally sourced produce. Would be happy to recommend it to others.

• Stayed May 2013
malhamtyke, Owner at Beck Hall Malham, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay, we are very happy you enjoyed your time with us, and for your recommendation, it means a lot to all of us as a team when our guests voice their appreciation. Thank you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malham
The Traddock
Stone House Hotel
Stone House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Hawes
The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa

Been to Beck Hall Malham? Share your experiences!