“Beautiful setting, delicious food”
Review of Lister Arms

Lister Arms
Ranked #2 of 5 Malham B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful setting, delicious food”
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We really enjoyed our break at the Lister Arms. We were especially impressed with the food. It was very tasty, unpretentious and yet imaginative. For example the shepherds pie had a topping of sweet potato, and you could really taste the ale in the beef and ale pie. On the downside you were required to order at the bar and queue was very long, for both the initial order and the desert. We felt that at the prices charged it wouldn't be unreasonable for the waiting staff to take the orders.
We found our room very pleasant, it overlooked the green and had everything we needed. Also staff happily supplied fresh milk on request for the tea in the room. I would agree with an earlier review that the mattress was a little thin on padding, but it was ok. If you are an early-to-bed type I also would suggest a room away from above the pub entrance; I was disturbed by people leaving about 12 and staff going to their rooms above ours at 1am, but I'm a light sleeper, my partner slept through it all!
The room was tastefully furnished and decorated; there are interesting and lovely paintings and prints throughout the Inn. There was a comfy pair of armchairs by the window which we enjoyed sitting in, watching the world go by.
All in all I would thoroughly recommend this place. And if you book midweek out of high season it is very good value for money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thwaitesinns, Terry Quinn - Chef Patron at Lister Arms, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Thank you for the lovely review, I'm delighted you enjoyed the Lister Arms and very pleased you loved the new menu. Our rooms are currently under a refurb plan and once complete I'm sure we will all be delighted with the outcome. I try to make our service attentive but informal in the bar area however I appreciate your feedback on leaving your seat to re-order desserts (you must of slipped by me on this one). I'm positive that if you already love our little country inn, that on any future return visits your going to love the improvements we have made to the Lister Arms, Malham.

Best Wishes from all the team and we hope to welcome you again soon.
Terry, Kirsty and all the Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
South Yorkshire
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Lovely looking hotel outside - rooms however "very tired" and as such not worth the rates. Pipework noisy and bed uncomfortable.
Food - certainly doesn't live up to its description.
Sandwiches served on supermarket "sliced bread"
Dinner - expensive for what you get - I ordered "large yorkshire with paganum free range prk sausages, creamy mash and pan onion gravy" - got a cold Aunt Bessie yorkshire with 3 sausages, mash and gravy in the middle -(sausage and mash were hot ) no veg -cost £10.50.
Not value for money -

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Notsafisfied
Thwaitesinns, Terry Quinn, Chef Patron at Lister Arms, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Please accept my apologies, we value our customers feedback and I'm sorry to hear you thought the food was not of our usual high standards. Our local suppliers really are our heroes and we strive to do them justice.

Please contact me personally I would me only too happy to plan a better visit to ensure you experience The Lister Arms charm.

Best and Kind Regards
Terry Quinn,
Chef Patron.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2011

My partner and I stayed at The Lister Arms last week during a whistlestop tour of the dales.
We were not disappointed when we arrived as the pub is in a beautiful spot near the river in the shadow of Malham Cove and the drive there was magnificent! We arrived early, but the staff were really helpful and prioritised our room, which enabled us to check in a couple of hours early. We could then enjoy the delights of Malham with a walk to the cove, starting just behind the pub and then relax in the sunshine with a glass of wine or two outside the pub.
Our room was nice and overlooked the green at the front of the pub with a lovely view over the bridge and river and the bathroom, although small, was clean and contained everything you needed with an absolutely great shower!
We ate in the restaurant and I have to say that the food was gorgeous, we each had a steak and my partner had bread & butter pudding and I had the cheese board and it was all lovely.
We had a great nights sleep and awoke to beautiful day once again. Malham was so peaceful and beautiful and we both enjoyed an excellent large breakfast in the restaurant!
We felt we had made an excellent choice as the Lister Arms was great value for money and a lovely place to stay with excellent food. When we are in the area again we will definately be back to The Lister Arms

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thwaitesinns, Terry Quinn - Chef Patron at Lister Arms, responded to this review, April 1, 2011
Thank you for your lovely review, i have shared this with the rest of the staff and we are all delighted at how much you enjoyed the Lister Arms and that you identified our aim to please.

We hope to welcome you back again soon to the Yorkshire Dales .

Kind Regards,
Terry, Kirsty and all the team.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Firstly i want to say that it is a beautiful building and location and the managers were lovely. It had great food (all local produce) and fab tasting ales. However, with its high rating and expesive rooms i was expecting much more from the accommodation.
we booked as a party of four, myself and my partner and two males friends planning on going walking. When me and partner arrived we went to our room which appreared to be a family room. we confirmed it was our room and staff said it was. So we unpacked for our two night stay. all seemed great. we went to the bar and the glasses were dirty. my glass had a piece of meat in it! The toilets were filthy (but once informed, the manager quickly cleaned it up. By 9pm our other friends arrived and it was then that we were told we WERE in the WRONG room. Not happy. We were then put in the smallest room with an en suite where i burnt my bottom on the radiator bending down and you could sit on the toilet and wash face at the same time. That night i woke up at 4pm after the mattress was uncomfortable. I noticed blood on the sheets! It was not mine. And then a BEETLE climbed out of the douvet. Again managers did ensure this was addressed. My friends shower was not working in the morning. Bar service - i asked for a pint of bitter and got cider...After all this they knocked £8 off the bill. I do not think the room was worth £80 on the Friday and £94 on the Saturday, I would recommend stopping for a nice pint and food but try somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank jenliz
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we remember your group and we all enjoyed your company. We value our customers and welcome all feed back. Clearly we have not lived up to our high standards on this occasion and I am sorry that these lapses in our attention to the details impacted your stay. As you would expect in an Inn on this age, all of our rooms are individual and the layout of rooms and en-suites does vary, however the mix-up with your room allocation was our error and I can understand how this compounded things . Unfortunately we can't turn back the clocks to change what has happened however if you choose to visit the dales again please call me and I will arrange your stay myself ensuring one of our larger rooms at no additional cost to you.

Best and Kind Regards,
Terry Quinn,
Chef Patron
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2011

My husband and I spent 3 nights recently at the Lister Arms. We were made to feel very welcome and enjoyed all aspects of the stay.Our room was fine;very clean, but perhaps the mattress could have been thicker, though I have to say, we both slept very well, regardless!
The food was excellent and the breakfast especially so. I particularly enjoyed the mini croissants with a choice of spreads. They were fresh and very yummy.After fresh fruit, a full English and super,strong coffee, I had to remember to leave a small gap for them.Knowing how the walks in the beautiful surrounds would soon burn off the calories,this was not a problem!
There are plenty of seats outside and in to sit and relax, with the area outside particularly pleasant as there is a fine view across from the inn and an idyllic stream with ducks to the side.
My only advice to improve this delightful establishment is to perhaps introduce some lamps in the bar area as the lighting was rather sombre for my liking.I'm not advocating brighter, overhead lighting , just some softer pools of light to soften the gloom.
All in all though, we felt we had a great deal(3 nights for the price of 2)and look forward to a return trip.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thwaitesinns, Terry Quinn - Chef Patron at Lister Arms, responded to this review, March 10, 2011
Thank you so much for the time taken to review the Lister Arms. We are striving to deliver some core qualities; a warm genuine welcome, great food and real value. We are all delighted that you recognised this.

Many thanks and best regards,
Terry Quinn and all at the Lister Arms, Malham
old english traveller
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I stayed last night with my husband at the Lister Arms, Malham - on our way there, we passed Highland Cattle grazing on the side of the road and had to stop a couple of time for the odd sheep crossing the road!! The views en route across the dales are amazing , the location is truly beautiful and the pub cosy. Our room was absolutely fine - the food however, I have to say is superb - everything locally sourced and cooked to perfection. I would most definitely return. I spent a lot of time researching accommodation in the area (running an award winning B&B you get a bit fussy) and am so pleased that we chose this one.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Thwaitesinns, Terry Quinn - Chef Patron at Lister Arms, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
Thank you for your review. It's very pleasing to read how much you enjoyed your trip. The weather's beautiful early Spring and we agree when the highland cows and sheep are out on the Settle tops it's a real bonus to the journey. We have some fantastic plans for 2011 and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm and kind regards,
Terry , Kirsty and all at the Lister Arms, Malham.
Sheffield
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights with a small child (14 months) .

Plus points: Nice spacious rooms, GREAT food (evening meals are lovely!), Amenties good, Malham itself is a lovely little town with good walks, reasonable priced, car parking.

Bad points: Quite noisy at night if have a room above the bar (we had to complain on the second night about the noise and we're not quiet owls at all!), food quite pricey (but prb worth it!), staff could be a little more welcoming when you first arrive ( as it is advertised as a family run place)

Prob best hotel in Malham. get a room away from the bar if poss.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed the beautiful Dales on your recent visit. It's not usual for Malham to be particularly noisy at night, so I'm sorry if this rare occurrence spoilt your relaxation. I would love you to contact me on any future trips to North Yorkshire and I will personally take care of your booking and make sure we redeem ourselves to deliver a genuine warm welcome.

Warm and kind regards,
Terry, Kirsty and all the team.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malham
Beck Hall Malham
#1 of 2 in Hawes
The Lion at Settle
The Lion at Settle
#4 of 4 in Settle

Been to Lister Arms? Share your experiences!